myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
More anecdotal evidence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dwr888

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have not waded through all the rhetoric on this ..but new easy stuff (easy to rig easy to sail) is certainly helping. I think that it's starting to slowly come back.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
I don't know, but I kind of like that it isn't as crazy popular as it used to be. It takes a certain personality type to be into this sport. Windsurfers are a special breed and I love that. As long as I can have one good buddy to sail with, especially when it's cold weather sailing, I'm a happy camper.
I'm still amazed at the number of hardcore windsurfers still ripping it up in Ontario, Canada starting as soon as the ice is off the waters, and it is slightly above freezing right up until the snow flies. I've already put in 7 days this year and its been a long drawn out winter. Going to do some nice wave sailing sailing on big old Lake O today.
In a way, be happy it's less popular....more parking, less kooks, and more space on the waves.

Well put. It is a fringe sport now. When things get to popular they become un-cool.

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waterkook,

Did you ever own a red and yellow Ezzy Wave SE? I have one with a "Chatham wind and time" sticker on it. I take it must have been in your hands at one point. If so, it's still in great shape and serving me well.

Nice little session on Friday on Lake Ontario was 5'C East wind at 30 kts. and three hours of practicing my front side wave riding. Yee haw! Just me and my "one good buddy" out there = Happy Camper!

Last edited by KGB-NP on Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
HatterasFever

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent alot of time windsurfing,
the rest i just wasted.
pacspeed

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO it declines to a tiny rump of what it was...so what? There will always be gear manufacturers. Look at other small niche sports: hanggliding, unicycling, spearfishing, etc. There will always be SOMEBODY making gear, just not the dozens of manufacturers we used to have.

No problem mon
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what Keith started.
My mantra was always...... Life is windsurfing. The rest is just complications!

KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR
Who needs drugs or alcohol when foam, fiber, x-ply, wind and water combine to produce the greatest high?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Windsurfing on drugs is like sex on drugs ;*)

-Craig

reinerehlers wrote:
OR
Who needs drugs or alcohol when foam, fiber, x-ply, wind and water combine to produce the greatest high?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere in there is a crude joke about the difference between strings and poles, but I wouldn't touch it with a 305cm mast.
amarie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate to this--the last few times my mast has gotten stuck together after wave sailing, I've had to enlist kiters for pulling help (and explain to them what to do), since no other windsurfers were there.

For me, the choice to do and stick with this sport is based on perspective. I came from a youth/high school/collegiate sailing background and needed an outlet for water sports after college. People tell me windsurfing is cumbersome and equipment-intensive. If I were looking for a replacement for, say, running or even cycling, I might agree. But when replacing the maintenance, expense, and logistical issues of an entire boat and coordinating schedules with a crew, believe me, windsurfing feels pretty carefree and portable. Not to mention faster and more fun. And if there's no wind, I do other sports--mountain biking, cycling, free diving, running, etc.

People wishing to recruit new windsurfers may benefit from recruiting from sports even more cumbersome and expensive. I say this only partially tongue in cheek. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: