myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Quannapowitt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Quannapowitt? Reply with quote

So does anyone here ever sail in Wakefield (Mass.) any more?

I used to spend much of my summer there, but in recent years have been pursuing other interests and haven't been there in quite a while. This year I'm hoping to change that!

I'm particularly curious whether parking/access is still allowed from the rte. 128 side, and whether all the construction there has affected the sailing. It seems like northerly winds might not be as good as in years past?

Eric Law
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People do still windsurf Quannapowitt, and I think there is still access at both launch sites. The group to get in touch with would be:

http://www.amcboston.org/windsurf/

They do lessons there every year.

mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Reading and still hit the lake a few times a year on a good NW, or WEST. We where out last Thursday. 10 to 15 years ago we had a great group there, about 30 regulars. We still have a tight group who keep in touch on GOOGLE GROUPS, but most of us have moved on to ocean venues, South Boston, Nahant, Revere, Duxbury and the The Cape.
You will always find some of us in South Boston if the wind is blowing, just not from the NW, OR W.
Parking at the lake is no problem, either in the Comverse parking lot on the North end of lake ( good for south, sw, se ) or just past the wall on the east side of lake( n,nw,w or sw)
Good access , decent wind, but gusty , always rig big, wear booties, and try not to swallow water .

If you can, spend the time ,and get to the ocean, its always better!!!!!!!!
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Quannapowett Yacht Club features windsurfing racing all summer with several season beginning/end Regattas. Despite the often mild conditions, the racing is far from low-end, with champion longboard racers and world champion keel boaters racing windsurfers.

If any of these events interest you, and they should, please contact me and I'll put you in touch with the leader of the pack at QYC.

From the QYC folks:

All Windsurfers,

Hope you had a good winter.

We are ready to start the QYC Windsurfing season, and look forward to continued fun on the race course.

Dave Mitton will continue to run the Wednesday evening series this summer. Dave will collect the fees and signed waiver forms, and provide the snacks.

The race schedule for this summer is as follows:

Memorial Day Regatta - May 26 (Monday)

Summer Evening Series 1 - May 14, 21, 28, June 4, 11, 18, 25

Summer Evening Series 2 - July 2, 9, 16, 23, 30, August 6, 13

September Winds Regatta - September 27 (Saturday)

The Wednesday evening series races start at 6:30 PM.
Memorial Day and September Winds are all day regattas.

Please put these dates on your calendar so you don't miss any of the action.
Spread the word so we can have good attendance and see if we can get some newcomers.

olebsailor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahyup Laughing
Good to see my anouncement got through to you Dan.

We need more people to show up... I'll be working some more websites this year.

It is often light air, (the difference between sailing on a schedule vs. sailing when the wind is good) bring big boards and sails.

Dave.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/NEWindsurfing/info
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, I certainly do miss the Wednesday evening drive from my former office but ten minutes away in Stoneham to get actual, fun windsurf racing. I applaud everyone in the QYC fleet for keeping the flame all these years.

Honestly, the local fleet will bend over backward to help nearly anyone learn to race and it bears repeating the high quality of the competition. I always enjoyed the challenge.

To those less familiar, the racers at QYC represent the core and near founders of windsurfing in New England. These men and women won or finished very high in the multitude of professional, one design and formula class events (Windsurfer, Mistral, D2, etc.) across the USA starting in the 1970s and through today. If you think you got it, then you should test your mettle at the QYC events.

elaw

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey... thanks everyone for the responses!

I have to confess I'm pretty much a flat-water sailor... and even more so since I'm both out of shape and out of practice. So the ocean's not the best spot for me. Plus the drive-time to sailing-time ratio can't be beat for Wakefield, given that I'm just a few minutes away in Wilmington.

But... tomorrow's looking pretty promising! If the weather turns out as forecast, I'll be heading over to the lake.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: