myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Socal beginner lessons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miasibs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Socal beginner lessons Reply with quote

I'm getting my 12 and 7 yr old boys into windsurfing this season. Anyone know of a camp or anyone who is thinking of setting up a camp or group lesson in the Socal Area?
Nothing wrong with lessons from a windsurf shop such as Kirk's, but I figured a camp with many other beginners especially kids will make it less intimidating and more fun for the kids.

Chuck
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to try and hook up with another family and go to Lake Lopez in Late May-August. In addition to warm water windsurfing, they have a water park. Kids love it.
cbknap

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolute best deal is from Long Beach Department of Parks and Rec. They have 3 hour weekend classes that go for 3 weekends. All gear is supplied and its in Alamitos Bay, a safe place to learn. All you need is a wetsuit.

$110--cheap.

http://registration.lbparks.org/Activities/ActivitiesDetails.asp?ProcessWait=N&aid=230

You also can't go wrong with ABK, but they cost quite a bit more and no longer slum it down here in SC. Closest session would be in Rio Vista, in the Sacramento Delta.
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what kind of experience you are looking for I guess. Another option is in San Diego. There are one or two water sports centers on Mission Bay that offer something. Not sure of the specifics but you could "google it". I see quite a few kids out on gear. Down side, I think is that it's not the latest and greatest gear. If they are true beginners, the wind is light on MB. 10 -15 mph on average.
miasibs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much guys, will definitely look into the LB parks and SD lessons. Have thought about driving up to Sherman for ABK or Cal sailing club for a few days but to take off work for a few days will be tough.

Boracayboardhead, do you still sail down in bora a lot or are you based out here now in the US? I've sailed bora quite a bit a few years ago , that place is unreal.
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alamitos Bay in Long Beach is an ideal place to learn! Awesome that the Parks Dept has that program offered.
boracayboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

miasibs, Living here in SD now. Haven't been back to Boracay for a few years now. I used to go for the slalom races each year in Dec-Jan. Probably one of the best party/race events anywhere! Very friendly folks! Lately been going to Cabarete though. Flight's a bit shorter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: