myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We looked into extending COBRA and it is a no go. Rate isn't bad and will be about what Obamacare will charge, and she gets to keep her doctors under COBRA. Not sure with Obamacare since it seems very hard to find out which doctors are included with the two insurance companies that service NC. If she has to wait until Nov., that's a risk we would prefer not having.

Since they want people to sign up, but give the insurance companies the options of shutting down and not selling, one has to wonder.............

Like Pelosi said..............................

It may turn out to be a non issue, but only time will tell.

My mistake on the "going for a year without insurance". I unintentionally missed the Nov. sign up window part of the story. I do try to avoid misleading posts.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno

You may sign up for a policy at anytime due to a discontinuance of an employee sponsored plan or cobra benefits. You do not need to wait until November. Also, try the individual market place...ie you do not have to use an exchange plan. My plan was not listed on the exchange in Colorado but it satisfies ACA and is open to anyone. The only difference is that it is not elibible for a subsidy by purchase directly from the insurer.

This makes me wonder how many folks did what I did and shopped outside of the exchanges. Where would that show up in the numbers? Almost everyone I know contacted insurance companies directly without using the exchange.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I ignored the exchanges and just bought ins like we always have. The cost was a few dollars more for the much better coverage that meets ACA criteria.
In that way we benefited from the ACA I guess. We don't get involved in big gov. programs like unemployment and so on becausemy family is so conservative,
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (my wife) DO plan to avoid the exchanges, as security is a BIG concern for which the media has shown little interest.

The issue is that insurance companies do not have to sell insurance and may choose to sit on the side lines except for enrollment periods to avoid people that get sick and then try to sign up. Just on the exchanges or across the board? - I don't know.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
security is a BIG concern for which the media has shown little interest.

The REAL news and news analysis channel has analyzed and discussed the exchange security issues in depth, many times, with the internationally acclaimed security firms who are waging war on precisely that problem. Those experts offered the administration a thorough, FREE examination and assessment of the government website and signup process. The administration has repeatedly refused.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like you don't trust the government or the private insurance companies. Seems to be that you're in a bit of a box.

Yet, I have to ask, how is the government doing with your Medicare plan? Life can't be so bad if the government will, at minimum, take care of 80% of your actual healthcare costs under Plan B. Just imagine if you had to pay 100%.

I hope your wife makes good use of her time to prepare for her healthcare needs after July.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medicare had done well for society, but it won't continue with the same level of success. As I have said before, the "pyramid" scheme works well as long as there is a large base to take care of those at the top, but when the base shrinks and the peak grows, it fails to work. I don't know if I will be affected by the coming changes, but many will not reap the same benefits that the past few generations have enjoyed. Pyramid schemes will always fail at some point unless modified in some way. Most likely, folks will have to wait longer before enrolling, plus reduced benefits for those already in the door.

Since I have been in Medicare (4 yrs), I have paid more into it with the part A B & D premiums than I have received in care/benefits, let alone 40+ yrs. of Medicare taxes. Lucky? Yes, but I do make a strong effort to stay healthy.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:

Since I have been in Medicare (4 yrs), I have paid more into it with the part A B & D premiums than I have received in care/benefits, let alone 40+ yrs. of Medicare taxes. Lucky? Yes, but I do make a strong effort to stay healthy.

And I've paid homeowner's and car insurance for at least that long with almost no claims (a few chipped windshields over the years).

Do I resent not getting my money's worth back?

Not one bit. I and my family have been very lucky, and we appreciate the security that insurance provides. And like you with your personal health, I try to watch the health of my home and cars and try to behave and live a healthy lifestyle.

I believe that you've made your own good fortune. (It's called "personal responsibility.")
mac

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and I pay for both fire and earthquake protection. Glad to file no claims. Would rather have never filed for a big car accident claim. Would trade the money to not have had the injuries.

Isn't that why it is called insurance?
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno said:
Quote:
I believe that you've made your own good fortune. (It's called "personal responsibility.")

Too bad so many in society fail to manage or achieve "personal responsibility" and become dependent on society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 180, 181, 182 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 181 of 201

Jump to: