myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Avanti Sails Anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who the heck cares what others think. We all look like fools out there (well, except Kevin). I do care how it feels. I've sailed that super light Severne s1 proper mast combo on Kev's chart. Gotta say - light us right. Thanks for the chart Kevin. It would be cool to add boom weights. Who makes the lightest wave boom?
rollerrider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha! Like the bathroom idea. How bout this. Go on a diet and or do some cross training and strengthen the upper body and that would improve sail handling allot more than spending a bunch of money.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speak for yourself dude, I look good even when I'm Kook'n it too much!

;*)

Boom weight would be interesting, but again, getting the rig right
is more important than what it weighs to me (unless I'm carrying it from
the Doug's parking on a 3.7 day). Getting the boom height right for me
(about collar bone height) is paramount for control in high wind.

But then again, I'm not designed wrong.

-Craig

xander.arch wrote:
We all look like fools out there (well, except Kevin). I do care how it feels. It would be cool to add boom weights. Who makes the lightest wave boom?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, materials are only a part of the picture. Sail design, and how one engineers the use of the materials, is a big part of the equation.

As an upside, Kaseler has a record as being an innovator, and that's in addition to his broad base of experience over time.
xander.arch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear from someone who has sailed the avantis in waves and can give feedback on durability. It sounds like the slalom guys really like their cloth. How does it hold up to getting worked Cali coast style?
westender

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail $800 mast $600.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's arguable that the mast weight isn't as important as other parts of the rig because everything rotates around the mast.
How about a one piece non adjustable boom? It could be stronger and lighter and not retain any water. The sail manufacturer could make about 3 or 4 sail sizes that all took the same boom length. You could let it out a few cm for adjustment. Idea
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Who the heck cares what others think. We all look like fools out there (well, except Kevin). I do care how it feels. I've sailed that super light Severne s1 proper mast combo on Kev's chart. Gotta say - light us right. Thanks for the chart Kevin. It would be cool to add boom weights. Who makes the lightest wave boom?

I didn't put booms on there bc they are interchangeable and you don't have to use the same brand as the sail to optomize performance (one of my assumptions about mast and sail being matched).

Of course you also have to factor in sail power. With my freestyle sails I was often on a smaller size than average with plenty of power.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
It's arguable that the mast weight isn't as important as other parts of the rig because everything rotates around the mast.
How about a one piece non adjustable boom? It could be stronger and lighter and not retain any water. The sail manufacturer could make about 3 or 4 sail sizes that all took the same boom length. You could let it out a few cm for adjustment. Idea

Been done, by Gulftech I think it was.

Everything rotates around the mast only in the barn-door jibe mode. When one begins the Throw/Throw/Grab/Go approach, the rig spins about some axis closer to the center of the rig. This, IMO, makes any sail "flip" or jibe much quicker than closing the barn door whether way overpowered or not even planing.
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to lighten the rig would be to add carbon fiber battens. Why doesn't anyone make these? You should be able to shed at least a pound over the epoxy/glass battens used now.
Also Isobars made a good point earlier about the soft feel of a sail being important for comfort and I couldn't agree more. I have a Northwave Featherlite 5.2m that is supposed to take a 430cm mast but I rig it on a 400 with about 20cm of extension. The feel of the sail is so much softer due to the shorter flexy mast it really transforms the sail with no loss of power I can detect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: