myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Opinions on WINDSUPs ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angulo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres our updated site

http://www.angulohawaiisup.com

+ my 2 cents

The board you want to ride should be your base for choosing.. not wether it has a mast attachment or a mast box. Most people on this forum have been doing this sport for long enough that they know somebody who can adapt a mast box ( In new england ... me for example). So research the board that you want to actually SUP on , that you believe has the right shape for you to also do your light wind windsup'ing on and buy that board and then deal with adapting a mast track. insert or whatever you conclude is the best. You dont do that in windsurfing You dont just buy a board because it has a mast track. you buy the board you think is best ( plus looks, price , etc etc.... i get it).

Of course , I would highly recommend that if the board you want does already have an attachment or mast track then you are good to go to avoid extra hassle/ cost.

Furthermore... Sup'ing is it's own sport that here on the east Coast we can get a lot of days and , actually ride waves and helps many of us kook surfers to actually "surf" . So what you choose as your SUP board should be a good , forgiving ride that allows you to enjoy your SUP time.

once again.. just my 2 cents... aloha
btbill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the obvious current interest in windSUP today, I wonder why other board manufacturers are not releasing aggressive models designed specifically for using a sail. Seems all manufacturers are either designing with wind secondary, or with models not designed for aggressive wavesailing in light wind. Simply look at the marketing ... when have you seen an ad with aggressive light air wavesailing, other than with ahd sealion?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bill, agreed light wind wave sailing is a ton of fun. lot of days on the US atlantic coast when the wind is too strong for SUP'ing or surfing, but not strong enough for short boards.

plus, lots of people may try windSUP'ing on a SUP that stinks in the all too typical 10-17 mph stuff that's got an ONSHORE element to the wind. surf board rockers do not provide upwind planing power when free riding to set up for the next ride, nor do they go upwind on the shoulder to either make up ground lost during a ride or to set up a front side section.

non-planing SUP's sail okay if the wind is between 5-12 vs a planing windSUP, but as soon as the wind kicks up a notch, the surf style boards become quite wearisome. especially for those that have used planing long boards for some time.

your sea lions are great in side off with mushy waves.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Angulo- I like your two cents. Doing a simple windsup mod like a DIY mast track or footstraps is totally worth it if there's a paddleboard that's perfect for you other than missing that one thing. PS- Is the 10'6" x 31" Lahina the model you were saying would be a good windsup?
angulo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, its good as more of a windsurfer rather than a wave riding SUP. Its a great SUP'ing board for marginal soft waves as it rides like a Longboard surfboard and it's lower /glidey rocker and quite parrallel rails give it a very good windsurf performance as much as can expected from a Sup/ Windsup.

Of course you being Nahant alumni and the underground legend you are , we'd set you up at the ambassador deal, if you or Rhonda feel the need !

Hope all is well down there... me and Matt are getting the the Nahant windsurf vibe back up to speed now that snow's melted.. Fred-o had a little baby so will be slow out of the gates this year and Coelho's MIA, but Antoine froggy is still going stronger than ever... The garage is full and waiting for you when you're in town

Aloha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: