myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Worldwinds Windsurfing in Texas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Worldwinds Windsurfing in Texas Reply with quote

Just back from another great week at Worldwinds Windsurfing in Padre Island, TX. The whole operation is first class with great instruction, great gear and pretty decent wind. It was a little cloudy there this year but the boards and sails (all 7,000 rigged and ready) were top notch. This is our third year there and we shared the place with Guy Cribb and his students again. I don't know how many places he does clinics in the States, but Worldwinds is on that list.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Don and company are a class act. Had a great time when I was there as well.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been there.

Did they move Texas to Canada or the Northwest USA ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
been there.

Did they move Texas to Canada or the Northwest USA ?

Naaaw U2. Texas is just that big! Wink

spennie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's been wanting to try SPI, sounds like it could be fun. Can somebody post some ballpark figures for airfare (L.A. area), rentals, gear?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On The Beach.
Phil Money's.
Try the internet search.
Harlingen is the closest airport, about 11 miles due W of SPID. Rental cars right there.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze, zirtaeb, that was almost no information at all! Does that mean I'm supposed to stay on the beach at Phil Money's?

What I'm looking for is an APPROXIMATE cost for 2 people to fly down & spend a week in some basic accomodations and rent gear. It'll probably be two years before we go, I'm just trying to get a feel for it. Anyone?

Here's a secondary question: Where should we go so I can have some more challenging conditions, bump 'n jump or waves?

hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Here's a secondary question: Where should we go so I can have some more challenging conditions, bump 'n jump or waves?

Maui.

Seriously, I don't think there is anywhere in South Padre or Corpus Christi where you can rent windsurf gear and take it to the Gulf or Bay for more challenging conditions.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
My wife's been wanting to try SPI, sounds like it could be fun. Can somebody post some ballpark figures for airfare (L.A. area), rentals, gear?

Went to Bird Island last April from Sacramento. Airfare was about $700 round trip from what I remember but airfare goes up and down like the stock market so there's no telling what it'll be when you go. Most likely cheaper out of LAX. I stayed with a friend in Ingleside and he said you can't stay there so you're on your own on that one. (Just kidding, I didn't ask) You can find the rental rates on Worldwinds.com. Great gear and the staff is great as well. Hope that helps a little. See you at Sherman this summer. Yes I still owe you a beer or three!

johnl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two choices.

Bird Basin or SPI. They are not the same (about 200+ miles apart). Bird Basin would probably have a larger gear selection at Worldwinds. I can't help you with lodging cause I only stayed one night and slept in my van Smile

SPI, forget Harlengen, fly into Brownsville. American flies there and it is a SMALL airport and much closer. As for gear rental, you need to search for Phil (or Philip) Money. I can't remember the name of his shop. For rentals SPI is FILLED with hotels and condos. A little time searching the internet will get you a lot of answers. I like Las Brisas Condos. They are two blocks (a 5 minute walk) from Money's place, but I always bring my own gear. Las Brisas (and the one next door) are probably the only two windsurfing friendly condo's here if you have your own gear, but if you are flying in, then it won't matter.

BUT sailing here is predominately in the Madre. A VERY wide area of water that is about 3 - 4 feet deep for Miles. A big B&J day here is probably 1 1/2 foot chop. So it's a great place to work on YOUR sailing. Such as freestyle work, or jibe work. Or if you are into slalom blasting, then you would fit right in.....

SPI is LIGHT wind. I tend to sail 5.2 to 6.2 most of the time. If it's lighter than that, I don't go out. But there will be people sailing on 7+ meter sails on the real light days. When the wind switches 180 degrees and comes from across the Madre (side on) then it can nuke. I've not sailed during that time period because my 86l board with a 3.7 sail was too big. But that seldom lasts more than a day...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: