myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Hodges open for windsurfing come April 2!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boracayboardhead wrote:
So if you have to launch at the Boat Ramp, which is quite a way from the Dam doesn't that in effect make the "whole lake" a boardsailing area? Sailing to the "sailing area" requires you transit a little over half of the lake to get to and from the "Dam Area".

There is no real wind at the boat ramp end of the lake. The good wind is pretty much isolated to where the wind comes over the dam and is compressed by the canyon walls. Maybe someone with formula/longboard gear could slog through the lulls to get up there.

But it is pretty funny they put that on the web site, as it would make the whole lake open to sailing...which is not what they intended.
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without launch access at the old sailing site ( let alone the PFD requirement), Hodges is pretty much a dead-loss as a sailing site for non-formula sailors and beginners. A few hard-core people will give it a shot, but that's it.

I hear "Turko" is going to be there on April 2, maybe he can stir the pot again and get some action by embarrassing those in charge (again).
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the approach could be

Start sailing on the lake again, proving to the powers that Be that allowing windsurfing at Hodges did NOT exactly bring about a 9/11 Part II.

Then...when they start to relax, over time start working on improving the access by removing a couple of those unnecessary rules...
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
Without launch access at the old sailing site ( let alone the PFD requirement), Hodges is pretty much a dead-loss as a sailing site for non-formula sailors and beginners. A few hard-core people will give it a shot, but that's it.

I hear "Turko" is going to be there on April 2, maybe he can stir the pot again and get some action by embarrassing those in charge (again).

Tell you a relevant little story...I was years ago sailing in the Gorge and came in to rest on the island near the Hook/jetty ...another sailor was there and we began to chat...she said that soon she would be moving to the SanDiego area.
As we discussed sailing locations Hodges was mentioned... she was actually going to work for the Pump Station Folks near our ex launch ...she assured me that we/windsurfers would never again have access to that spot,I will assume that means via the existing road,because it is close the the pumping station....so far she has been accurate in this prediction.
jeffreysongstrum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ok with the non windy launch, the seven bucks, even the pdf. But, they are going to have to pry my quagga musseled sailboard out of my cold, dead hands!
sethfactor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the gate on Lake Drive be open? Every time I have been to Hodges this critical access road from Hernandez Hideaway to the high wind area has been closed by a locked gate.
Seth
germar

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Lake Hodges today, without gear, I just wanted to see what the scoop is. I also talked to two city employees at the boat ramp. First, I hiked to the old spot. It looks almost like in the old days, albeit a bit overgrown. I got tears in my eyes, when I saw the plaque commemorating Ron Cunningham there. He was one of the guys running the windsurfing station 15 years ago and died surfing on Jalama Beach. I still have a sail that was repaired by him. At 5 pm, there were still a few white caps.

The road to the old windsurf spot along the lake from Hernandez Hideaway is closed to cars, fenced off by a heavy gate. There is a second heavy gate past the new pump station (The pump station does not interfere with the windsurfing spot). It is not clear whether or not it is legal to hike or bike on the road. The city workers didn't know for sure. There is a hiking/mountain biking trail next to it, and it would be legal to carry your stuff on this trail to the old spot, and launch it there once you have signed all the paperwork, bought a 7$ wristband, and have your gear inspected for quagga mussels.

The city employees suggested to launch from the shore next to Hernandez Hideaway, and tack up. That might work if you have a formula boat with plenty of floatation but won't work for me with my 110 liter board.

So here are the options:
- Get a few buddies together, rent boat and tow your stuff from the boat ramp to where the wind is. I am not sure, though, whether the rental guys like if you pull a rented boat up to the beach where the wind is. In any case, it will be expensive (> $50).

- Have your own boat (I don't have one Sad Of course, you would have to have it inspected for quagga mussels too, and pay for the privilege to have it get in contact with the lake.

- Carry your stuff from Hernandez Hideaway to the spot in a board bag.

- Put your stuff on a bicycle trailer and tow it on the access road to the spot. Again, I don't know whether using this road on a bike is legal. And the least thing we want to do is to jeopardize the renewed access because of illegal behavior. The hiking/biking trail next to the lake is single track and would not accommodate a two-wheel trailer. It is even borderline for a one-wheel BOB trailer (which I actually own).

- Pull your stuff behind you in a kayak, launched from Hernandez Hideaway.

- Lobby your other half to help you (mine will, and will bike, while I windsurf Smile

None of these options is great. The best thing would be to lobby the powers in charge to open the access roads for cars, like in the old days. The road is in perfect shape, the pump station is fenced off. So I really don't see where the problem is, unless some paranoids think that this would be an ideal place for terrorist to blow up a truck...

Unfortunately. I don't have time until mid-May to go sailing. I hope that a workable solution will be found by then and are eager to hear your ideas.
Windnc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Lake Hodges Reply with quote

Another option to be able to easily tack upwind to the old sailing spot and still use your short board, is to tow it up behind your long board. Get a Kona One or any longboard and simply tow your shortboard behind you. You can enjoying being able to easily tack upwind thanks to the long board's daggerboard and pointing ability and quickly get to the old sailing spot at Lake Hodges.

Then park the longboard on the shore, transfer your rig to the shortboard and sail. I have used this technique a number of times at other spots where there is no immediate access or easy way to get a shortboard to the best sailing spot. Works!

Chuck
sethfactor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Germar or Kelly,

What is the distance between the parking at Hernandez and the old launch site?
Is the old launch site East or West of the water pump station?
I have a stroller that I could load up with my gear and hike down the road.

Seth
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sethfactor wrote:
Hi Germar or Kelly,

What is the distance between the parking at Hernandez and the old launch site?
Is the old launch site East or West of the water pump station?
I have a stroller that I could load up with my gear and hike down the road.

Seth

Hi Seth,
I will guess 1/2 mile walking....
45 minutes schlogging....last time
15 minutes paddling.......next time
It is West..
There may soon be another Turco Files televised report on our government problem...I think tomorrow / wednesday......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: