myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Drilled & saved mystery board... possible custom?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Drilled & saved mystery board... possible custom? Reply with quote

I was given a fully delaminated board. It measures 245 x 60. It weight around 7.5kgs or 16lbs. It looks as if it was fully repainted. It came with a North Shore Freestyle Extreme fin 21cm.

I was happy to "salvage" the 21cm fin for my 77L (56cm wide) freewave board, it's been so much smoother than the stock 23cm. However, I still wanted to try the board out if I could as its shape seems interesting and dimensions what I would ride on light days.

So I drilled and glued the bottom with polyurethane glue (gorilla glue). The shape appears to be single concave going into a v double concave up front.

I did not re-glass anything. I was hoping to try it out to see if it was worth fixing it.

Interesting rails and tail.

I don't think a custom would have dual footstrap inserts, no?

Anyway, I'm curious to see how it will ride. 2m+ waves tomorrow and 17 knots, I don't know if I want to jump it, it felt so dried out!
rlemmens

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahd did that tail on their freestyle board that look similar.
morwind4me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an AHD. I had a board like that that was indestructible. I actually kind of liked sailing it...

Gotta be 2002 ish? AHD Maxx ride or something like that.
ben.eliyahu.tom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ahd rebound 93 2006 seems to the only ahd that fits in terms of dimensions and is 246.5 by 59.5 which is the closest to what you describe that i found but i dont think they had that tail shape... all of their earlier boards which where 60cm wide were at least 250 cm long.. it looks like a ahd tail but i dont think its an ahd based on the dimensions provided..
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blue under the pads seem to be matching the 2002 blue.
Looks like I lucked out on the fin since it didn't come with a 21cm.

Not bad...

AHD Maxx Ride 60 DRT Tested Boards June 2002

All change in the Maxx Ride class for AHD this year two models (the 60 tested here, and the new 64.5) rather than three, and featuring their new 'Double Rail Technology' [DRT) - quite a radical design feature which effectively gives enormous tuck to the rail - a very thin overhanging rail above the hard release edge, ready to bite in to the turn when the board is banked.

On the water: The first thing you notice is the size; the Maxx Ride 60 is very small. It gave us a bit of a classification problem - we included it in this test on the basis of its 60cm quoted width, but it only has 92L of volume and the DRT makes it effectively smaller still as the release edge [effective planing width) is considerably inboard of the rail, making it actually much narrower than the other boards right through the tail half. This, plus the sucking effect of the DRT in non-planing conditions, makes it a little slower to get going in marginal conditions; particularly in the hands of heavier, less experienced sailors. However, for those who are comfortable with the required pump-and-bear-away technique it actually gets going very well for its size, and once 'unstuck' accelerates really very quickly indeed. It is by nature a fast board, and once planing in a reasonable blow it feels very nippy, light and extremely agile; tremendously exciting and rewarding to blast along, slightly on top of the water and 'up for action' with a smooth but throwabout feel.

PERFORMANCE Non/marginal planing freestyle: You would need to be very light to get much from this board when off the plane due to its extremely low volume. Planing and carving freestyle: Dynamite! Speed and agility, allied to the exceptional grip in the turn given by the soft thin DRT rails, deliver a board that revels in fast planing moves. All types of gybe, and 360s (up and downwind) are a delight. Stability at speed is also good for its size. Aerial freestyle: It has good pop for a smallish board; coming out of the water well in a horizontal plane, and it's good for completing Spocks and Vulcans, with quite a slidey on- top-of-the-water feel. Chop hops can be frequent and satisfying, but vertical jumps are less easy due to the flattish rocker profile. Slide Its low vee makes it feel quite spinny. Freeride: Very good blasting performance; fast and exciting with excellent high speed gybes.lt's most at home on flatter water since the low and wide nose is less ideal in heavy chop. Waves Again, being quite flat (particularly in the nose), its not a natural for jumping and riding in real waves. However, being small and agile in feel, it's nippy and throwabout enough to be a lot of fun in bump'n'jump mode.

RANGE Conditions: It needs a solid Force 4, and really comes in to its own with sails smaller than around 6.0m. At the other end of the scale it is happy with very small sails but really needs relatively flat, 'freestyle' type water or small waves for maximum enjoyment in strong winds. Our ideal recommended sail size range would be 4.5-6.0m Weight/ability Heavier or less able sailors may have trouble getting it going, and could then find it too fast-feeling if the water is choppy, and small-feeling when not planing or during transitions. So it would seem best suited for lightweights or skilled medium weight sailors, who will notice these factors far less and instead appreciate the performance it can deliver.

OTHER COMMENTS Fittings: At 30cm the fin is quite big (a pleasant surprise as most boards are now supplied with fins that seem too small!) It suits the low vee and certainly helped us make the most of it at the lower end of its range. Lighter-weight sailors will find a smaller fin useful in medium winds, when the fin supplied can cause the board to rail up. The nonslip was very poor, but we are informed by AHD that the problem has now been rectified.
SAS factor: The website offers unhelpful headlines such as "100% free, 100% wave, 100% style". Many of the 'snippets' of information ["...a nervous, reactive, manoeuvrable and fast board") and bullet points are basically accurate, but you need to read well between the lines to separate the useful from the inevitable for a clear picture.

OVERALL A great small and nippy freeride/freestyle crossover for lighter or advanced medium weight sailors, for use in flatter water and solid planing winds. Despite the winds being generally a bit lighter than it liked during the guesters' testing sessions it still proved above averagely popular, and was certainly a favourite of the pro testers on flat water with sufficient wind for it to really show what it can do. Characterised by a uniquely agile, fast and direct feel the Maxx Ride 60 is more suited to the 'speedier' and more advanced aspects of freestyle, and also offers decent freeride and bump'n'jump performance too. For more conventional all- round freestyle (ie; greater emphasis on light-marginal conditions), the 64.5 version will probably be the better bet.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job of re cycling !!

I think the blue and padz look AHD as well.

Update you adventure

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The look of that board just scares me. How much does it weigh now?
I'd stick with sailing that thing close to shore, and I don't think I'd jump
it much. You guys must be retired to have so much time available to rebuild a board like that.

-Craig
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a freestyle board, it's very likely that it has seen a lot of abuse. Interesting repair strategy, and it just may have injected a bit more life into the board. However, you might want to check for softness or leakage under the straps.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board hasn't been sailed and was left outside for many years. The vent screw was tight and I believe it caused the delamination. The sun ate away at the pads and straps. The deck feels stiff throughout. I believe it was in good shape when the previous owner got it.

It looks like there was a nose repair? The board was painted and signed by one of the repair guys here. Manufacturer weight was 6.6kgs, now 7.5kgs all equiped. It feels a little heavy to me, I'd prefer something around 6.5kgs for this size 92L.

It's really quite amazing that AHD current freewave board (93L) has nearly identical dimensions. 12 years later, wow.
manuel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So today I slapped on some salvaged straps and hit the water. My first impression was wow this board is fun! The thing is I didn't expect it to work as I was afraid that the glueing would not get the board close enough to its original shape. Well at least the board is working.

In terms of fins, I had a 23cm freewave and 29cm freemove fins to use on the board. The board came with a 21cm fin, apparently the stock one is a 30. It looks like it had great success amongst freestylers. The wind was very light 14 to 20mph according to our chart, it felt like it dropped to around 10 on the water.

First I tried the board with the 23cm. When slogging out, I noticed that the board did feel a lot less buoyant that the advertised 92L and understood why some would still take it out on small sails (4.x). The rear will sink just like a board near 75L. However, this does make it really snappy at the top turn! Riding waves with the 23cm was quite something, I didn't expect the board to turn like this, I was sending spray like crazy! The top turn seemed more snappy than the bottom which wasn't as easy to initiate.

However, in the light, well the 23cm was quite hard to get going, I needed some flat areas and in the crazy chop today, I wasn't going to find it, so I needed something with more lift. It was quite interesting to note that the board wouldn't really spin out though but it just needed more established wind for the 23cm to work.

So I went back and swapped the fin for the 29cm. Now I had a real setup for light conditions, the top turn wasn't nearly as snappy but the board got going. I noticed that it liked to be pumped once out of the water and then it would get planing.

The planing ride was smooth and directional, it had plenty of tail push for jumps. It rode very close to the water and had quite a nice cushion around the tail. The board didn't particularly feel heavy. I would have a bit more nose rocker for the waves to make it turnier.

The 29cm locked up the rear and I would probably go with something around 26 if i had the option.

In the end I'm glad I salvaged it, it was worth at least today's session. I will definitely get some pads for the poor thing. I'm not sure re-glassing the bottom would be necessary?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: