myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I have a camper and a week, in early April
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: I have a camper and a week, in early April Reply with quote

So the wife and kids are going to Phoenix to be with the in laws, and a sister and brother in-law with kids. I love them all dearly but it's Phoenix and I've already been there once this year. Hence I've got a camper and a week to do some wave sailing somewhere between here and San Carlos. San Carlos seems like a stretch with only a week. I guess I could drop 4k flying all the way there and chillin with Solo Sports, or I could take I-5 south til the sun comes out and head over to 101. Anybody have any suggestions? Waddel?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: suggestion Reply with quote

The Gorge. Roosevelt.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

California central coast can be on fire in April. Water temps are warmer this year than any other year I've experienced.

Some sites in Southern Cal might also work. Just watch the weather forecast.
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff Malibu, would love to drive no further than Roosevelt. When that place is firing on 5 or more cylinders there's no where better. I've got a set window though with the wife and kids at the in-laws, and Roosie has a crappy track record of blowing on my schedule. Apparently mother nature is not getting my evites.

Plus I'll be packing up the toddlers and spouse and hitting Roosie several times this summer, and would like to do something I've never done, like a 101 surfari from Pistol down to San Fran.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
Roosie has a crappy track record of blowing on my schedule.

Wise man.
My Gorge sailing window is tightly limited most years by water temperature to any of the 5,700-some hours between April Fools' Day and Thanksgiving. Not even the whole river, let alone any one spot, cooperates enough for me to just go and sit and wait for wind even though it's just an hour away. April out east can be incredibly windy one year, pure crap the next, and cool desert temps (compared to the western Columbia), as forecast this spring, generally support the latter. The only sure thing about April on the Columbia for me is a dry suit the whole month, plus warm booties, gloves, and hood -- or stay home -- many days. I don't call that a vacation; it's a series of day trips each judged by its own unfolding conditions. March and April are notorious for cramming what, in June, might be a whole day of good wind, into an hour or three of gusts from Frontal Hell surrounded by rigging frenzies in both directions. Whaddaya rig when it's been blowing 8 mph for hours but you can not only see but almost HEAR the blast coming up the river? Then whaddaya rig when, soon after the blast appears, it starts its decay towards ... 8 mph?

‘You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’

brettn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coast may not be a lot any more reliable in April the Roosy, until I've driven south of the clouds, but at least there I can sup, kite, kite a sup, surf, surf with a kite stuffed into a backpack, sup a windsurf sail, paddle a sup, paddle a windsurfer, or otherwise get some waves, no matter what the wind does.

That pic of Dirty Harry reminds me of how I feel when I'm sitting at Roosevelt getting skunked.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky you. That was my BEFORE picture; my AFTER picture looks more like this, with less hair Sad

Or when there's no wind ...
brettn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's gone from American Badass to American Gothic
scjpuw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CA central coast can be really good that time of year, usually smallish swell but strong winds. typically light in the morning, but blows strong from about 12-7. the wind in past couple of years have been really consistent in April. The water can be a bit cold but probably not anything worse than the gorge.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Columbia is running in the low 40s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: