myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2014 Candlestick Clean n' Swap. 04/05/2014 10:30AM
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: 2014 Candlestick Clean n' Swap. 04/05/2014 10:30AM Reply with quote

Hi All,

The clean up this year is scheduled for Sat. 04/05/2014 10:30am. Yes, this is a low tide. This year we will focus on making the launch area smoother and easier on the feet. Additional focus will be aimed at making the pathways east of the main launch safer. I noticed huge pot holes that could cause a nasty fall. The scope of this cleanup isn't to implement huge changes but to make the daily launch more pleasant and accessible especially at low tide. So bring gloves and a shovel.

The Swap: All are welcome to come and divest of unneeded gear. It's usually a good time to see old faces and hopefully some new ones as well Smile The wind has been promising so plan on doing some sailing.

Needed:

1) A plant or shrub to replace the now dead Piss Tree. Let's face it. Where once this thing provided shelter and a nice place for loved ones to sun while we surfed, it's now dead.

2) Sand bags to build a path to the water. Anyone that's sailed here on a low tide can attest to this need.

Put it on your calander, see you there! Smile All are welcome!
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice! will be there! Deven (naked guy) was really interested in buying some sand bags BTW
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I priced 2 tons appx 2.5-3yards of 3/4 rough edge gravel. It's $170 delivered. The only hitch is no Sat. delivery. If someone can get bags I'll spring for the rock. 2 tons should be enough to spread, fill holes and bag. Any volunteers for a Friday bag and fill Sat Clean and Swap?
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
I priced 2 tons appx 2.5-3yards of 3/4 rough edge gravel. It's $170 delivered. The only hitch is no Sat. delivery. If someone can get bags I'll spring for the rock. 2 tons should be enough to spread, fill holes and bag. Any volunteers for a Friday bag and fill Sat Clean and Swap?

i'm in!
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think 100 bags are more than enough, it's gravel. Sand would blow away in a week. Delivery of bags should be by Friday 04/04. #1 factor is the 04/05 low tide.

I need to get the gravel ordered by Wed-Thurs 04/02-03. We need hands more than anything. That and a wheelbarrow. Ever lift a dozen Sandbags? 100lbs each. yeah, more hands the better. I would think 10-15 volunteers.

Thoughts?
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only permit required by SF it a temporary revocable occupancy permit. $80. The city and DPW want to be removed from liability so there is a a one million dollar insurance requirement, No even sure who insures insures these types of events. It's a one day event, I don't even know where to begin on that. Thoughts?

http://sfgsa.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1942
buzzwordbrad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
The only permit required by SF it a temporary revocable occupancy permit. $80. The city and DPW want to be removed from liability so there is a a one million dollar insurance requirement, No even sure who insures insures these types of events. It's a one day event, I don't even know where to begin on that. Thoughts?

http://sfgsa.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1942

this is to dump the sand somewhere? could dump the sand it offsite somewhere and fill bags offsite and load into a rental pickup truck/van. then just park the rental truck/van where we normally park. a wheel barrow and some plywood would make it go a lot faster.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great idea. It's 2 tons of gravel/rock. So about 20 100lb bags. Can't think of a place where we could dump 2-3 tons of rock. I'm certain someone has a pickup that they can volunteer.
windchamp2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend first trying working with the sfba and through the proper channels before attempting to fix the launch on your own. There are several governmental agencies that ultimately have the authority to keep the shoreline open to the public and recreation that include the San Francisco Bay Conservation and Development Commission, US Army Corp of engineers, regional water quality control board, cal dept of fish and wildlife + CAL EPA.
SFBA contact info is info@sfba.org
vmaher2045

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what's the plan? Can help during a week day. Lots of available shell/gravel at very low tide on the left side - can we move some of it to the main launch?

One ton = 2000 pounds I think = 40 100lb bags. Maybe use this to outline a launch channel and then remove rocks and fill with above mentioned shell gravel? If the bags are above the cleared channel they might provide enough protection stabilize the cleared area.

Twice before there were attempts to make a sand beach but the sand didn't last very long
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: