myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
In search of bigger shortboard for lighter Gorge conditions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso,

Are there also knee braces that can protect the knee from doing bad moves? I guess such a device would be unsuitable for sports that are typically hard for the ACL (badminton, basket and other), but it might be ok for windsurfing if you add a PFD?
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possible, and certainly something to watch out for. Much will depend on the evaluations of the surgeon and the PT, my own input, how stable this thing feels in a totally benign environment, and the doc's/PT's confidence in the custom-fitted carbon brace we'll have built this month. The surgeon keeps saying WSing in OK by May, but I am rejecting that option unless my leg is MUCH stronger, more stable, and more neurologically predictable AND it's on a strapless board in mild, steady conditions. Those conditions are rare in the Gorge before the desert heats up in June or July, and remained rare all summer last year. Spring and early summer normally bring gusty, usually brief and often violent, frontal blasts, challenging and sometimes injurious even to healthy excellent sailors.

I've been dismayed at some surgeons' attitudes towards physical therapy, such as "You don't need no steenkin' PT; I'll fix you up fine with my Swiss Army knife."

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ACL patients tempted to drop the PT early (in less than a year), fudge on the lifelong need to keep our hams and quads extra strong, stop using your knee brace, and/or get back into WSing too soon, here's my surgeon's comments from yesterday, about 6 months post-op. He doesn't windsurf, but he has sat at the Hatchery and watched the action closely to decide whether he wanted to take up kiting (no way, he says; he saw too many human body-automobile impacts that day and has rebuilt too many kiters' smashed pelvises and femurs since then).

His concluding medical advice:

1. Don't even think of getting back into the footstraps before this fall (a year after surgery.) Too much risk of twisting falls and too much temptation to jump. I like your strapless board idea, but your knee isn't quite ready for even that yet, despite your being the hardest-working, most motivated, and most diligent patient we have [my point: where does that leave more lackadaisical patients?]. Your PT will test your knee and say when it's OK.

2. HELL, yes, get a serious brace, and use it faithfully for any sports riskier than running on a track. Knees have poor blood supply, and are still healing three years post-op. It can easily take that long for the hamstring muscle we replaced your ACL with to morph into some something stronger, more like a tendon or the ligament you severed. If you continue to permanently develop and maintain exceptional ham and quad strength in the gym, you're probably safe without the brace by the three year point.

3. The CTi custom brace you favor is the Cadillac of braces, but may cost you some cash and is no guarantee of safety. Stay careful.
asiat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3. The CTi custom brace you favor is the Cadillac of braces, but may cost you some cash and is no guarantee of safety.

I found this remark interesting. My surgeon's opinion on braces (I had a hamstring graft 5 years ago) was that there was no evidence to suggest that a knee brace would protect me from reinjuring my knee. He had no problem with me getting one but clearly he felt it was more of a psychological comfort.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asiat wrote:
I found this remark interesting. My surgeon's opinion on braces (I had a hamstring graft 5 years ago) was that there was no evidence to suggest that a knee brace would protect me from reinjuring my knee. He had no problem with me getting one but clearly he felt it was more of a psychological comfort.

Your surgeon may be right, according to this study:
http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/early/2008/01/11/0363546507311601.abstract
or
https://tinyurl.com/koxdqw9 ,
A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing the Effectiveness of Functional Knee Brace and Neoprene Sleeve Use After Anterior Cruciate Ligament. Reconstruction. Its abstract's conclusion was:
"A functional knee brace does not result in superior outcomes compared with a neoprene sleeve after ACL reconstruction. Current evidence does not support the recommendation of using an ACL functional knee brace after ACL reconstruction."

He has seen that, but doesn't accept any studies at face value until he examines its details for credibility. I want to examine that study as best a I can, look further for similar studies, and get my PT's opinion, too.

My knee's certainly not ready at 6 months to rely solely on "psychological comfort", so I want to see more studies before sticking a sail, or even just my feet, on this board. I shudder at some of the things I see ACL patients doing, often with much worse re-injuries, due to impatience, bravado, and/or substandard medical care. My team is highly qualified, but I trust NO experts 100% and I want to avoid doing something stupid I should have seen coming.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike did you ever pull the trigger on the sealion? If not, a gentleman on the Northeast forum rode his off Point Judith, RI. and my have some input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: