myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windoggi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...you're for socialized medicine Bard?
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
I often wonder why you're dependably on the worst end of the "glass half full" side of the situation.

When you look at the numbers for North Carolina, the glass is empty, not half full or half empty. Reality is reality with this particular glass. I wonder why you don't see the problem?

My guess is that the ACA or some modified form will stay in place regardless of future elections, simply because once you subsidize insurance for millions, I can't see a way to backtrack without polarizing the nation. Of course the other option is a single payer system to keep from short changing the subsidized folks and maybe the end of Medicare. It seem like we may be treating a broken leg by amputating it.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like we do with expensive emergency room care that treats the symptoms, not the diseases?

Quote:
once you subsidize insurance for millions, I can't see a way to backtrack without polarizing the nation.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900, you make my point.

You hone right in on the issues that disturb you the most, and then fantasize the worst outcome. "The ACA will break the bank", or "damn, I hate paying for losers".

The world isn't going to change over night. It's going to take some time and patience to ramp up to a more modern health care model. If healthcare can't be denied, folks need to be responsible. Unfortunately for you, that means some of us have to carry a bit more weight to pay for those that can't.

Will there be financial woes because of the ACA? Again, time is key. Also, you should remember that the majority of folks are responsible and have health insurance. A lot of folks are doing the right thing. If we ultimately need to make tweeks to the ACA, the need will be clear in a very specific way. No need to buy a new car just because your car needs a new muffler or water pump. Fix what needs to be fixed. Isn't that a more pragmatic approach?
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler said:
Quote:
No need to buy a new car just because your car needs a new muffler or water pump. Fix what needs to be fixed. Isn't that a more pragmatic approach?

My concern is that we will continue with the replacement parts until a lot more than the muffler or water pump are changed out, only to discover that a new car would have been a lot cheaper.

Only time will tell.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You and Obama are on the same page on this. I recall him saying at the time the ACA was passed that it will need a lot of tweaking and only time will tell.
pueno

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
You and Obama are on the same page on this. I recall him saying at the time the ACA was passed that it will need a lot of tweaking and only time will tell.

Are you implying that techno's agreeing with Obama?

Chris Christie did that, and look what happened to him.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Techno....here's a news flash. Many Americans cannot afford health insurance. This causes unquantifyable damage to the economy , and more importantly, people's lives.

We are told by Katie Sibelius that 4.2 million have "enrolled". The billion dollar system she built can tell her nothing more. Insurance industry estimates indicate 20% of enrolled have not paid, so, in truth 3.5 million have purchased Obamacare. McKinsey study estimates about one quarter of those were previously uninsured..........about 850,000.

The principal rationale for this massively expensive program was to provide insurance to the 30 - 40 million uninsured who were clamoring for insurance. Four years on the front pages, billions spent at a Federal and State level, five months to sign up........and only 2 -3% of the uninsured have taken advantage. Why is that?
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uninsured were not clamoring to get ins. Gybe just invented that.
They are going into the emergency room for free care at taxpayers expense.
Or just dying.
It is a huge cost to taxpayers.
That is why the conservative Heritage Foundation proposed the ACA. They want everyone to pay into the system.
This was the only alternative to socialized medicine that conservatives could muster.
Most oppose it because they detest all things Obama no matter the merits.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Lawmakers in Maryland are pointing fingers over who’s to blame for the state’s poorly functioning health care website. Maryland officials are now looking to scrap their state’s poorly running health exchange website because countless thousands of people have been locked out. When Maryland Governor Martin O'Malley was recently in town for a governor’s meeting, he told WAMU those deep flaws with his state’s health website are due to the contractor they went with."

$200 million taxpayer dollars completely wasted on the Maryland roll out. But it's good to see a politician step up and take responsibility. It would have been easy for O'Malley to blame people who "detest all things Obama" for this debacle. Not O'Malley..........he manned up and blamed the contractors instead. The incompetence witnessed during this roll out is stunning even for those of us who predicted it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 171, 172, 173 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 172 of 201

Jump to: