myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfings Most Extreme Location! Candlestick
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Windsurfings Most Extreme Location! Candlestick Reply with quote

The action isn't limited to the water.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Man-shot-in-head-killed-in-San-Francisco-5305625.php

Share your colorful tales here.
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bayview/Hunters Point is and always has been one of, if not the highest violent crime neighborhoods in the City. Da Stick sits at the edge of all that.
chand2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: That is Not Candlestick Reply with quote

This shooting did not occur in the windsurf area at all. This was over in the BayView. That is a rough area. Why post this on the windsurf forum?
spennie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a piece of a story I posted on Wind Junkie a few years ago:
Let me pause here a moment to tell you about the parking lot at Candlestick. As we pull in, I notice that the windsurfers are all parking along the road instead of in the lot. I remembered parking in the lot last time I was there, so we head for the entrance. Meanwhile an old Monte Carlo is jamming through the lot parallel to us at about 65mph, pretty alarming, but I figure he's leaving, no problem. Where we park there's a beer party at a picnic table, involving 6 or 8 seedy-looking dudes shouting and throwing stuff at a nearby trash can, some guys trying to jump-start some P.O.S. car, and other miscellaneous persons of questionable character. We hop out to use the restroom, and I'm furiously pushing the alarm button on my keychain, to make sure these guys all know it's alarmed. Meanwhile, the "brothers" parked next to me roll down their window 3" and offer to sell me some crack. "No thanks!!" I say cheerfully, so they won't shoot me as a cop. We use the restrooms and haul ass back to the street side parking, glad to be alive.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: That is Not Candlestick Reply with quote

chand2 wrote:
This shooting did not occur in the windsurf area at all. This was over in the BayView. That is a rough area. Why post this on the windsurf forum?

Because you shouldn't sail there unless you're packing heat... Confused

I've noticed more seedy characters in "Windsurfing Vans" parking in my neighborhood since the lakes are so dry..... Laughing
dvCali

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfings Most Extreme Location! Candlestick Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:

Share your colorful tales here.

Colorful tales? This is about a man being shot and killed, nothing "colorful" about it.

And, if it matters, the location is a few miles from Candlestick.
sergem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfings Most Extreme Location! Candlestick Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:

Do you mean you never seen 9mm casings by the fence?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Windsurfings Most Extreme Location! Candlestick Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
dvCali wrote:

Do you mean you never seen 9mm casings by the fence?

It is not the first time that the area around Candlestick is singled out with overtones that frankly seem borderline racist (e.g. the references to the "brothers"). This crime happened miles away from the Park and there is no point in posting it on these pages distastefully calling it "extreme" and "colorful".

And as far as anecdotes are concerned I live close to Ocean beach and last year I was waken up by a nice bullet that broke a double pan window on its way back to earth ... If you actually look at any measure of crime rate in the city Candlestick Park does not even show up, few people live there and crime is non-existent. See for example http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/feature?id=6747727 or https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=207397488458627702253.0004d2b78f6e5f06a945c&dg=feature If you care (I don't particularly) Crissy or TI have by comparison way more crime than Candlestick Point.
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Dead Pit Bull in the Water Reply with quote

Dead Pit Bull in the Water
Although I think an extreme location would
be someplace like Alaska or Patagonia.
victor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If you care (I don't particularly) Crissy or TI have by comparison way more crime than Candlestick Point"

no way. there are a couple east bay launch sites that had car break-ins last year. maybe one or two at ti and at crissy in the past 10 years. many more on city streets.

if you consider public drinking and pot smoking a crime candlestick would still take the prize.

violent crimes on windy afternoons, anywhere. never.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: