myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
In search of bigger shortboard for lighter Gorge conditions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sealion AHD,
check this video this is in flat water sails like windsurf board.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xojrYe1ySPQ

Sealion can not plan like a Windsurfboard??? Laughing Laughing watch the video that Sealion goes faster with out straps then some go with..

http://www.windsurfermag.com/ahd-sealion-gps-challenge-2012.html

http://www.sealion.ahd-boards.com/2011/blog/juju-relance-le-sealion-speed-challenge/2218

It is fun to slog around / Sail / ride waves and spend time on the water rather than sitting on the beach.

Aloha
Jurg
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

Just today in the gym I simulated some waterstarts using weighted cables as best as I could. It's a start, it felt fairly sound, and as a backup I also plan to refresh my skills on getting back on a board by placing both hands on the deck and vaulting from the water to my feet. I'll need that when I'm in SUP mode anyway if I go that route.

I guess waterstart is easier on the legs with more wind. In lighter wind, instead of working hard on pulling the board under you, you will be able to refine the lost art of uphauling...

I would also add a bit about the risk of further injury. I learned to plane (out of the straps) not too long ago. My arms were sore, and I got a few hits while falling on the upper body. But I had no clue at all how you could injure either your feet or you knees while windsurfing. It's very lame on the legs. Obviously, since you are not attached, it's tougher to get hurt. But also, since you cannot pull up, you cannot put extra stress on one leg to support an imbalance. You need equal weight on both legs and you have to move around to keep that balance. If you don't, you get catapulted and that's normally easy on the legs too!

Good luck with your board selection. I'm happy with my K1 and would get one if I was in your position... You can use it between 0 and 30 kts with proper fin and sail selection. It is really a jack-of-all-trade that can support you at your different stages of recovery.

Yan
3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vimeo.com/m/10973993
And this is the proof the sealion can go 1 mile straight Smile with out waves
And gybe ...
Aloha
Jurg
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this one (notice there's not a whitecap in sight and those are not big sails) ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27w5DkI2p9c .
xander.arch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move away from the Gorge and find another hobby for the summer. Getting away from windsurfing might be good for you.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you notice the wind direction and the setup? Everything is a bit different on the river, but maybe you could cut some new territory.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Did you notice the wind direction and the setup? Everything is a bit different on the river, but maybe you could cut some new territory.

Yeah, I saw ... and have been counseled by ocean SeaLion sailors on ... that important (they say critical) distinction. I finally had to just stick my fingers in my ears, sing La La La Loudly, and just pick my poison. Sometimes the experts are right, sometimes they lack imagination, and sometimes ya gotta just stick in a quarter, pull the lever, and make lemonade. My Great Lakes SeaLion dude just bubbles over about his, the videos look enticing not even counting the team riders, and 8'3" sounds a HELL of a lot more manageable than SIXTEEN FREAKING FEET! Smile

I'm looking forward to finding a way to make it fun.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xander.arch wrote:
Move away from the Gorge and find another hobby for the summer. Getting away from windsurfing might be good for you.

That would be a helluva lot cheaper, especially by the time I buy a complete 7.0 rig ... and an uphaul ... for it. But, as CoachG said, a big barrier will be psychological. Just getting the leg strong again won't, by itself, give me the confidence I need to cut loose again. I can perceive that just walking across the lawn tentatively vs a flat-out sprint on a smooth track.

Besides, I'm hoping to open up a whole new window to life below 21 mph on the river. If that still sucks, I can always set it aside until I'm too old and frail for sinkers.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to the effectiveness of windsurfing on the SeaLion.
It goes about freestyle speed, maybe just a hair slower, and without footstraps.
What I'm not sure of is the actual swell riding ability. Those thick rails and fish tail don't seem loose and free turning on a swell or wave. But I'm a rounded pin guy, thru 22 years of serious surfing. Fish's are for DTL surfing, not performance up and down.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I can attest to the effectiveness of windsurfing on the SeaLion.
It goes about freestyle speed, maybe just a hair slower, and without footstraps.
What I'm not sure of is the actual swell riding ability. Those thick rails and fish tail don't seem loose and free turning on a swell or wave.

You haven't watched the videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: