myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gorge Windsurfer coming to San Diego in April
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crashpile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Gorge Windsurfer coming to San Diego in April Reply with quote

I am an intermediate windsurfer from the Gorge and wonder about windsurfing in April 11 - 13 in the San Diego area. I would appreciate suggestions and thoughts on where to go, if it is worth it, etc. Thanks in advance.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are only going to be in San Diego for 3 days, don't bother bring any gear, or renting. This would be a very low probability outcome. However, if you have a passport, and a week to kill, San Carlos is only a 6.5 hour drive from SD.

There is some beginner WS gear for rent on Mission bay, (I think) and a day standup paddling would be a great change also. Or...you could drive up to the LA area for Cabrillo if there's a heat wave.
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gorge Windsurfer coming to San Diego in April Reply with quote

crashpile wrote:
I am an intermediate windsurfer from the Gorge and wonder about windsurfing in April 11 - 13 in the San Diego area. I would appreciate suggestions and thoughts on where to go, if it is worth it, etc. Thanks in advance.

April usually has 2 or three days a week of 14 to 17 kts...water is 65 to 70. Air is warm too.....Scenery in SD Bay is unbelievable. From the USN Bases/ships thru the Coronado bridge north to the aircraft carrier Midway to the cruise ship terminal ...never a dull moment...did it yesterday. The key {of course} is Formula. If you dont have the right gear to sail you will be dissappoited.
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Gorge Windsurfer coming to San Diego in April Reply with quote

crashpile wrote:

Intermediate from Gorge=rock star in San Diego! Very Happy

Although we get an occasional nice sailing day in April, your chances are very slim and anyway there are no windsurf gear rentals in SD. I would plan on renting a SUP....
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your only chance is to keep your eye on the weather, if you are lucky, emphasis on "lucky", there could be a wet low front passing thru from the north while you are there, which might result in a clearing wind day following the front. (I like run-on sentences) But that would be only one day of clearing wind, slim chance, but it can happen.

The zoo is nice, as is the aquarium located by UCSD.
windmaddness

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you opt for driving back, the chances are very hi you're going to score some sick days anywhere from the central coast up to SF and beyond.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assumed you were flying. Otherwise, above poster is 100% correct. The drive would enable you to have some great days on the way.
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Gorge Windsurfer coming to San Diego in April Reply with quote

andrewc wrote:
crashpile wrote:

Intermediate from Gorge=rock star in San Diego! Very Happy

Although we get an occasional nice sailing day in April, your chances are very slim and anyway there are no windsurf gear rentals in SD. I would plan on renting a SUP....

Schlogging Rock Stars Unite!!!
Dont use gear that fits the conditions where you live!!!
Be stylish and glamorous using the latest wave gear never designed to perform in your local conditions.

or rent and paddle away....

or get gear that does work.

In SanDiego you have two windsurfing choices...get Formula or be a Schlogging Rock Star.

I will be sailing 40 to 70 miles AGAIN today.
Is that a bad thing?
johnrckstar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll trade 500 miles for andrewc's shlongging rock stardom on Wednesday. Is that a bad thing?
crashpile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely not a rock star windsurfer, but I appreciate all the responses. I wish I could get down to PSC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: