myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Technique revelation on jibing and for bottom to top turn
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Technique revelation on jibing and for bottom to top turn Reply with quote

On the past few sessions I was having a hard time jibing on chop. The same applied to bottom turning. I sometimes felt like the board would stop turning and head straight down the wave. I was losing faith into attacking the face of choppy waves as my inside rail would catch sometimes, slowing me down or pulling me over. Do I not like to catch a rail in front of a breaking wave!

However yesterday, as I was jibing, I moved my mast to the side and progressively to the back in a wiping motion, basically counter balancing with my body position a little more than usual. This had an immediate effect to free up the board, how it kept up its speed over the chop and how it made it so much easier to balance over it. It felt like I could charge the chop without fear again, so much better.

This "scissoring" technique can be applied to a lot of different moves: jibe, bottom turn, wymaroo, speed loop, clew first moves, etc. The more the mast is tilted to the opposite side of the body, the more the board will turn. This is also especially important in onshore wave riding.

I hope it helps someone else, I feel like this wiping motion often gets overlooked in videos or articles.

Here are a few photos of the scissor action between mast and board. Note how the front arm straightens out as the sail is kept across the board.

coachg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see video along with explanation of this check out Dasher's 12 Step Jibe video and watch Step #9.

Coachg
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes exactly.

Step 9: "The hips roll to the inside as the mast crosses the centerline to the outside".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfuZ3zx6xCQ
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep that's what u want to do, also check out we're the hand's are on the boom. The front hand is very close to the harness lines and the back hand way bown the boom. This hellps to get the sail past the center line of the board. As soon as that happens the board will finish the turn and u can come out clue first or flip the sail with out over turning.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't we learn that the first time on a 12' board? Confused
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleRandy wrote:
Yep that's what u want to do, also check out we're the hand's are on the boom. The front hand is very close to the harness lines and the back hand way bown the boom. This helps to get the sail past the center line of the board. As soon as that happens the board will finish the turn and u can come out clue first or flip the sail with out over turning.

Absolutely, maybe backing up the front hand is more of an "advanced" adjustment?

westender wrote:
Didn't we learn that the first time on a 12' board? Confused

I don't know, sail flip is a critical stage of the jibe when lots of people can have trouble. Clew-first sailing is quite difficult and counter intuitive (sheet in to bleed off and sheet out to power up the sail).

I run a small board (77L) / big sail (5.4) combo most of the time, when I ride more volume the rail doesn't catch anymore because it wipes off imperfections. The smaller volume requires more precise adjustments.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy you're mentioning the technique. It's part of the Never Fails Jibe.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cribby would have you on a bigger board.

manuel wrote:

I run a small board (77L) / big sail (5.4)
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Technique revelation on jibing and for bottom to top turn Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

The more the mast is tilted to the opposite side of the body, the more the board will turn.

That's not why the board turns. What you're doing in short is balancing the rig, which give you control and allows the sail to be spun more easily. The rig tilting opposite the body in and of itself does not affect turnability (see duck jibes). You're doing this while keeping your body weight above the board, which keeps the carving rail set.

DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rig "scissoring" aft and opposite the body is why most people end up either going straight or falling. Solid shortboard jibe does not find us reaching down and back for the boom or mast. Doing so results in sinking the tail and rounding up more than is ideal or even effective to stay dry.

Our boards don't truly carve turns like an ice skate or a pro slalom skier. We cannot merely rail the board to initiate the turn. Ankles have been damaged doing that.

We know that to complete the turn, enough entry speed is needed to maintain lift that supports the front foot pressure used in jibing. So that's point 1.

We also don't really use the longboard technique of moving the rig forward except for very wide shortboards with huge sails. The normal shortboard jibe initiation begins by sweeping the rig over us a bit. Doing this will move the COE forward a fraction, but mostly pushes the nose of the board off the wind due to mast base pressure. Failing to do this usually over sheets the sail prematurely, killing entry speed.

Once the board's nose slides we then can roll forward over our front leg and over sheet.

Again, the key to the exit is to enter with enough power to support the intended jibe radius. Also important is the common advice of pressure upward on the front strap, deep knee bend, eyes looking at the exit and pulling down on the clew hand to unweight the front foot enough to rotate it out of the strap before stepping forward with the back foot. A true clew-first jibe powers up the leach for this purpose. That's different than most step jibes commonly seen with recreational sailors, where the step and flip occur simultaneously, but still transfer enough weight to release the back foot.

Good technique allows you to switch your hips very aggressively toward the turn exit because the board will follow you! When you get this balance down, you can jibe in shockingly small spaces and exit with a smile.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: