myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Oahu sailing spot identification
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nodak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Oahu sailing spot identification Reply with quote

What are these sailing spots on Oahu people talk about? Would someone go through the trouble of pinning them on an online map? What's their required skill level?

I only know Diamond Head, Wailae Beach Park, Kailua that's it.

I'm asking about these ones:

Backyards
OopulaSt
CrouchingLion
Hokelau
BrighamYoungBeach
Maaleakahana
7th Hole
TurtleBayHilton
Revelations
Yards
Moks
Brownies
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted that as some of the spots I've windsurfed on Oahu.
Backyard is located at OopulaSt. on the highway that goes around Oahu, just NE of SunsetBeach, and just to the left of the famed surf break, Velzyland. It's mostly a rocky reef pretty hollow right that goes into Boneyards, a place to get stuck in light wind, strong currents heading to inside Sunset, endless rows of whitewater, and only good in video, not in reality. Backyards has a wide channel to get out, and even when tlhe swell is over 25', the channels stays open until you hit the famed Phantoms wave.
At max sizing, when yards is 8', Velzyland is 6' solid, Revelations breaks outside of Velzyland and connects thru past the surfers awaiting the bigger waves. Don't do it, kick out. In difficulty, about a 8 out of 10. Steep pitching waves, gusty ENE winds coming from the palm trees, N shore surf.
nodak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
I posted that as some of the spots I've windsurfed on Oahu.
Backyard is located at OopulaSt. on the highway that goes around Oahu, just NE of SunsetBeach, and just to the left of the famed surf break, Velzyland. It's mostly a rocky reef pretty hollow right that goes into Boneyards, a place to get stuck in light wind, strong currents heading to inside Sunset, endless rows of whitewater, and only good in video, not in reality. Backyards has a wide channel to get out, and even when tlhe swell is over 25', the channels stays open until you hit the famed Phantoms wave.
At max sizing, when yards is 8', Velzyland is 6' solid, Revelations breaks outside of Velzyland and connects thru past the surfers awaiting the bigger waves. Don't do it, kick out. In difficulty, about a 8 out of 10. Steep pitching waves, gusty ENE winds coming from the palm trees, N shore surf.

Yes, I copied your exact wording of these places from one of your older posts. It all sounds really hard. I haven't graduated Kailua yet.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be super mellow on the correct day....
When the surf is smaller than 3' and long period...
When the wind is consistent NE, and no clouds...usually around 17-23mph.
When you find a parking spot....
When the tide is high, for Oahu. Tides don't get really high, compared to Mainland.
THEN, it's super easy, almost beginner level stuff, if the sailor stays in the channel, and doesn't get blown downwind into the waves, that break over a sharp rocky reef embedded with purple sea urchins in all the crevasses.
First trip I brought my then g/f over, she had no problems sailing at all. She was a first year shortboarder. Of course, she was smart enough to know NOT to go out later in that trip when MarkAngulo was the ONLY guy at backyards, and all us mortals sailed up to Revelations, since 'yards was 8' shifty, super hollow, and sometimes closing out. Mark was out doing a photo shoot, Dad was there, as was Josh.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mokuleia (Moks) was an easier step up from Kailua..not sure what its like now, i have heard its over run by kites? but i havent been there for 15 years though so i dont know. back then a busy day mightve been half a dozen or so windsurfers out.
rigged up at backyards a few times,,, never went out. scary. Shocked
Moks was much mellower.

nodak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
It can be super mellow on the correct day....
When the surf is smaller than 3' and long period...
When the wind is consistent NE, and no clouds...usually around 17-23mph.
When you find a parking spot....
When the tide is high, for Oahu. Tides don't get really high, compared to Mainland.
THEN, it's super easy, almost beginner level stuff, if the sailor stays in the channel, and doesn't get blown downwind into the waves, that break over a sharp rocky reef embedded with purple sea urchins in all the crevasses.
First trip I brought my then g/f over, she had no problems sailing at all. She was a first year shortboarder. Of course, she was smart enough to know NOT to go out later in that trip when MarkAngulo was the ONLY guy at backyards, and all us mortals sailed up to Revelations, since 'yards was 8' shifty, super hollow, and sometimes closing out. Mark was out doing a photo shoot, Dad was there, as was Josh.

Is Mokuleia good place to practice my first short board (100L), waterstarts, etc.? What sail sizes to bring there 5.3 - 7.0?
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, not really good for practicing waterstarts from what i saw..
there is a very shallow reef there just downwind of the breaking wave, which you will get washed over , and you will get cut. also, there is a channel with a current that will suck you straight out..when youre in it youll feel like you have no power at all in your sail at all, but once you drift out, youll find youll be powered up.
i think, the only sail/board combo i used there was a 5,3, and about an 80l board..i was maybe 175lbs at the time.
mostly while i was there i was just waiting for days when the waves werent going to kill me, that was the winter season though, jan-april.. im sure summers different.

dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shortboard waterstarts on Oahu....
Well, if it's N winds, or NE, CrouchingLion would be a cove launch with onshore winds blowing you back to a safe steep sandy shore.
Kailua of course.
But not in any surf zones.
Best place I ever found on Oahu was the little duckpond inside the reef about 4 blocks SW of the old intercontinental hotel on Blackpoint. That sandy bottom hole was bout 175' by 100', waist deep, inside the reef.
That's on the driveway to the water just S of the two Gold Lions at the entrance to the house with the sunken grass tennes court in front.
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb, are you talking about Waialae Beach Park, near the Kahala Hotel?

https://plus.google.com/110799489475685823745/about?gl=us&hl=en
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WailieaBeachPark is one of the toughest shortboard launches ever, to hit the surf in front of the old hotel/dolphin park.
There, it's the sharpest rocky/coral launch, once you hit the water. The beach is nice white artificial sand (imported), but once in 6" of water, the reef is super sharp and urchins lurk in the deeper channels.
Anyways, you beach start, head towards the channel, but due to angle, you have to TACK once at the downwind pole marker, head back towards shore, tack again at the upwind inside pole marker, and then pinch hard upwind to get thru the surfzone and outside, riding your first wave backside to get upwind to the the beginning of the break, and now you can jibe into the wave and ride frontside DTL for one wave, before the upwind slog process starts again. The wind in the channel is iffy at best.
The "pond" I"m talking about is like 4 blocks towards Brownies/DH, and the street goes right to the beach access, but parking is premium most days.
I stayed in one of the 4 apartment's right there for several years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: