myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella Wind Sensor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindSapien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Wind Sensor Reply with quote

The wind sensor here at Lake Isabella is not indicating the velocity of the wind.
Not that there is much water in the lake at this time . I am having a hard time locating a way other than the forum to notify someone of this malfunction.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks WS
WindSapien

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Wind Sensor Reply with quote

I found a way to report this malfunction and have done so.
Basically if it doesn't run on wind or gravity I don't know much about it.
Thanks for your patience. WS
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am corresponding with them about the sensor - they "won't have a service technician in our area until mid-March", but inquired if we could somehow have it repaired locally. Its not rocket science, just a cup on the anemometer head gone astray - Gary, do you have the means to get up on that pole, or know of someone who does??
noel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eva,
Any details to share on the dates for the 2014 speed challenge? tired of the fin sandin' out here...
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so very sorry Noel, but we are still on the fence - at the moment, our lake is about 12 feet below of where we would need it, to safely hold our Speed Week. It is truly depressing! However - NOAA promises us a "significant precipitation event" for late next week, so I have not given up hope.
dogalone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, for the record, it is not actually the broken cup on the defunct sensor, but may be either in the cable bundle or slip rings of the one that is still spinning properly.

the WeatherFlow folks have indicated ours [one of the last to be converted to the 'new' version like 8 years ago] is now obsolete, and that they only care to install the solar-powered, cell phone connected, standalone [no Edison, nor Verizon required] types that update significantly faster <realtime?>

someone showed them a picture of the existing installation that shows electrical powerlines that they felt better off letting one of their 3 traveling technicians to deal with, thus the mid-March scheduled repair
dogalone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and btw; here's a link to a site [on the other side, main dam, above a cove, that gives some relevant info to use in the mean time

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base.cgi?stn=ISLC1
WindSapien

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I again contacted WeatherFlow about the malfunctioning sensor here at Lake Isabella .

Last edited by WindSapien on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaming Weatherflow is a waste of time. With today's budget/staff cuts government agencies are penny pinching and slow to move. When I looked at having a sensor installed at Lake Washington it only took a couple of days because there were nav markers controlled by the Coast Guard & Weatherflow has a contract with them so permits are avoided. I was looking at months if I had the sensor placed anywhere other than a nav marker because of local bureaucracy and the runaround about who actually has to issue the permit. To place it on the clubhouse was going to require an environmental impact study. I guess the spinning wheel might impact the mating habits of the local swallows? Rolling Eyes

You have the same issues down there without the benefit of CG controlled nav markers so I'm not really surprised at how long it is taking. Sad to say, a sign of the times.

Coachg
WindSapien

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a "Sign of the times " but I don't have to like it.

Last edited by WindSapien on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: