myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Opinions on WINDSUPs ???
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windrockwater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Opinions on WINDSUPs ??? Reply with quote

Last year I bought the Exocet 11'8" WindSup to use for both purposes. Guess what? We used it for both purposes! My wife and son used it learn windsurfing. And we all used it to SUP. And I used it for some very, very fun, stable windsurfing in both light and strong winds.

So now I am considering basically a smaller version (perhaps the 10' long Exocet or some other model/brand). I think I want it for all the same multi-purpose reasons. Except I think I will use this one primarily as an all-purpose windsurfer for me. So windsurf performance is a priority. SUP use would be secondary but still important. And the 11'-8" size will be used for super light wind sailing for me, and for SUP and beginner windsurfing.

There is so little information I can find on these WindSUPs. There are no videos of it in use and almost no photos either! Does anyone have a 10' Exocet? Any opinions on its ability to be a windsurfer first and SUP second? I sail in Long Island Sound and on the Cape mostly.

I bought the 11'-8" sight-unseen since there is no place near me (Westchester, NY) that sells windsurf gear anymore. I am happy with it so far. So its a leap of faith with the next board too! Would love some opinions...
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Exocet WindSUP 10 and a BIC WindSUP 10.6. I liked the Exocet for light wind freestyle - it's more robust than lighter boards (e.g. the Fanatic). However, it folded the second or third time I took it out in waves.

I got the BIC while it was being repaired. The repair ended up ok, but I have been using the Bic ever since for light wind sailing and SUP touring. I think the BIC has a much nicer glide than the Exocet, and the construction should be more durable. Both WindSUPs plane, although I switch to other boards in planing conditions. Both boards are about the same weight, but the BIC costs about 1/2 of the Exocet. A friend here recently got a Exocet 10.2, and he looked good planing on it, so you may want to consider that one in addition to the 10.0.

If you want to try before you buy, I'll be happy to let you try my two SUPs when you're on Cape Cod.
Windnc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Opinions on WindSUP Reply with quote

I have been riding the Exocet WindSUP 11'8" board for the last two years. IMO it remains an excellent multi-purpose board that offers numerous options. Plus you can easily paddle it as an SUP and when rigged with a sail it is a fun windsurfing platform for beginners to experts depending on what you want to do. In the links listed below you will find reviews and writeups I have done on the Exocet WindSUP based on my experiences with the board to date. I hope you find them useful and you can find some photos of the Windsup and its step-tail on the exocet-wind-sup-board-review link below.

I have not rode the 10' version however so cannot comment on that one.

Good luck,

Chuck

"http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24785"

"http://windcsky.blogspot.com/2013/06/exocet-windsup-saves-day.html"

"http://windcsky.blogspot.com/2013/04/further-thoughts-on-exocet-windsup.html"

"http://windcsky.blogspot.com/2012/07/exocet-wind-sup-board-review.html"
Dzmitry

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyone who tired inflatable windSUPs? Is performance of inflatable WindSUP any close to "standard" WindSUP?
angulo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just gonna pipe in that this year we have developed a windsup that has a lot of substantial windsurf glide characteristics. As opposed to our surfier models, it's a bit narrower, lower rocker and really does the whoel "windsurf" thing pretty well.

Anybody in New England area is welcome to get a hold of me and test one out. Or I can recommend the nearest dealer that has em'
Aloha,
Josh
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angulo wrote:
just gonna pipe in that this year we have developed a windsup that has a lot of substantial windsurf glide characteristics. As opposed to our surfier models, it's a bit narrower, lower rocker and really does the whoel "windsurf" thing pretty well.

Anybody in New England area is welcome to get a hold of me and test one out. Or I can recommend the nearest dealer that has em'
Aloha,
Josh

Cool! I'll bet it rips. I need to get back to New England... once it warms up. Smile

NickB

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angulo wrote:

Aloha,
Josh

model and specs please? (I just checked angulodesigns.com and the old Gu'd seem to be the only windsup listed).

thank you.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some interesting Angulo windsup's sighted in FL since Mark Angulo moved his custom boards operation to Melbourne.

In this album someone is riding a strapless green one with a narrow nose and tail and a twin-fin setup, starting on picture 214.

http://janis.smugmug.com/Other/Jupiter-Windsurfing-01-25-14/

I wonder if the new production board is in any way related to these Florida experiments?

tthole

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Josh,

Definately let me know if Whit has one in Santa Cruz I can try out. I would definately be interesting. I have a 10'2 GUd ride but it is not the best planning board. Let us know what you guys are working on.

Cheers, Tim
angulo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check the new informational site , under construction.

http://lawrencefarnell.com/angulohawaii/

the two narrower lahainas are the more flatwater windsurf oriented SUP's, whereas the Surfa's are made to do what their name suggests

aloha
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: