myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers,

I watched the ad a number of times, where the ad would jump from her offering her name to much later in the ad where she addresses her representative, so I have to say there really wasn't much to the ad. Ultimately though, I have been able to manipulate the video so I could finally see and hear the full ad.

It one of those stories where a woman's insurance policy was canceled, seemingly because the plan didn't meet the ACA. You're left without any details whatsoever about her plan, other than the fact that she liked it. What she didn't say anything about was what the insurance company offered as an alternative. Funny, there was no mention of that, or anything about would be available in the insurance marketplace for this woman. We're left thinking she has no alternatives at all.

Do you actually believe that? We all know that this woman can't be denied health insurance under the ACA. Why was so much important information deliberately left out of the ad? That bothers me, and as a result, I don't view the ad as being honest. Bottom line, I'm not willing to accept half truths. Even after seeing the full video, I wouldn't change what I originally said.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's why I was asking, to understand what is going on.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reinerehlers wrote:
Thanks, that's why I was asking, to understand what is going on.

Reiner, do you really think this forum can answer that? EVERY person here is biased and VERY few are well-informed about this or any other government program. The Right claims the Daily Kos and Moveon.org are extreme left wing propaganda (that's why they're called "Right") and the Left claims the Harvard School of Public Health is a right wing hack source or some such crap. For every 500 sites and articles one side cites on any issue, the other side can site 500 contradictions. One has to research each side independently and decide whom to believe. Some starting places include
http://www.cbo.gov/
http://www.politico.com/
http://www.census.gov/
http://www.stratfor.com/
http://www.snopes.com/snopes.asp
http://www.factcheck.org/
http://www.gpoaccess.gov/constitution/
http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html
http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas.html ...
yet Keycocker dismissed even those as just media outlets, which I guess means they publish whatever party lines they're told to publish.

REALLY?
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso made that up about me. When he once named sources they were often quite offensive sites. He did it by accident since the sites often disagreed with him. He hadn't read them.
He gets everything from Talk and Drudge.
He can't even read this post. He just drifts along imagining things and muttering to himself...
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WASHINGTON (CBSDC) – According to a recent study, severely injured patients are less likely to be transferred to a trauma center if they have health insurance.

Researchers from the Stanford University of Medicine found that patients with insurance are less likely to get the best care than those who do not have insurance. They found that insured patients taken to non-trauma hospitals were 13 to 15 percent less likely to be transferred to trauma centers than uninsured ones.

“Insured patients may, ironically, get worse outcomes because they are taken care of at a center where there’s a lower volume of resource for critically injured patients,” Dr. M. Kit Delgado, a former Stanford emergency medicine instructor, and the study’s lead author said in a press release obtained by HealthDay News.

Researchers analyzed data of more than 4,500 patients who were critically injured at 636 hospital emergency rooms across the country.

“We hypothesize that non-trauma center hospitals are more likely to want to admit insured patients presumably because they can get reimbursed for their services,” Delgado, who is now an emergency care research scholar at the University of Pennsylvania, added in the press release
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"non-trauma center hospitals"?

Maybe you can explain what type of hospitals those are, and more importantly, why would critically injured people be sent to anything less that an adequate facility.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so simple. There is no simple def. of adequate facility. The study presumes that a dedicated trauma facility provides better care in some cases than a broad based hospital.
It is the reason trauma centers like the one my sister worked at even exist.
She thought they were better in part because the docs had time to keep up on trauma research, while docs elsewhere had to study a lot more general material.

She said a doc cannot read all the latest important papers in a forty hour week, much less practice medicine at the same time,
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler,

From Ehow:
Quote:
In the United States, the American College of Surgeons (ACS) certifies trauma centers at hospitals based on specific criteria and site review by a verification review committee. Trauma centers receive a level certification that indicates the capabilities of the hospital. Level 1 is the highest certification that a trauma center can receive, and this certification indicates that the hospital has highly specialized trauma surgeons available and the most sophisticated medical diagnostic equipment. If you are trying to locate a Level 1 trauma center, the American Trauma Society offers an online search tool you can use to find a Level 1 trauma center in your area

Generally, major cities have a County hospital that gets the really bad stuff and they are likely to be the Level 1 Trauma Centers.

It's always smart to know which hospitals in your area excel in various specialties - gunshot, burn, auto accidents, heart attacks & stroke. Sometimes the EMS know were best to take you, but sometimes they just go to the nearest hospital which may not be the best place for you.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, the thrust of my question isn't about trauma centers. It's pertaining to to Bard's post, and why some unidentified individuals are purposefully making decisions about sending critically injured folks to inadequate facilities based on whether or not they have health insurance. Would these determiners be police, fireman or paramedics at the scene of an accident or catastrophe? Or, are they talking about private hospitals refusing to accept uninsured folks, thereby requiring that they be sent to regional county hospitals? Somebody is culpable for what's going on, but the article doesn't address that at all. Doesn't that seem odd to anyone? Are we expected to accept half truths where crucial information is missing?
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think adequate or not is the difference
Perhaps more like very good or somewhat better.
Hospitals treat broke people in the US. They share them around.
Each facility has a budget for this which they must manage.
I have been dead broke when brought to the emergency room, without ins.
Once they treated me. Once they took me to another facility in an ambulance. I was not considering which hospital won the most awards.
I was busy being broke and sick and glad to be treated anywhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 167, 168, 169 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 168 of 201

Jump to: