myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Winter Time on Cape Cod
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gschuel1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is vec? I couldn't on the internet??
gschuel1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, meant to say I couldn't find vec through a goggle search,
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's on the web. Just Google Vec Surfboards

Although my brother Morebeach Mike says I have I have a type A personality, I'd like the think I'm easy going.

But not when it comes to duplicating my windsurfer. I really don't care what the mass marketers are preaching, I want my tonic my way.

peace
(at least for now)

RC

vec-surfboards-logo.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.98 KB
 Viewed:  10057 Time(s)

vec-surfboards-logo.png

ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever had a painting in house that one day it catches your eye as it's slightly cocked?

Similar to that is the rack in my garage where the Haut has sat since moving to the Cape 17 years ago. Its just a natural reflex that every time I go into garage I look at the gear on the wall. Last week new blue was put in old blue's spot while the re-dec was off gassing. Coming home from a trip with my wife (see -- I can be easy going) I glanced over and said hmmm - it's got the same shape
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever had a painting in your house that one day it catches your eye as it's slightly cocked?

Similar to that is the rack in my garage where the Haut has sat since moving to the Cape 17 years ago. Its just a natural reflex that every time I go into the garage, I look at the gear on the wall. Last week new blue was put in old blue's spot while the re-dec was off gassing. Coming home from a trip with my wife (see -- I can be easy going) I glanced over and said hmmm - it's got the same shape
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the "Badass Blue"! Simple is good. Leash hole is just in case you want to SUP it. Laughing
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron.c wrote:
being sold something that happens to be on the rack, as being right for me, is a little suspect. … I really don't care what the mass marketers are preaching, I want my tonic my way.

Construction details, I have no freck'n clue.

Why the old fashion straps? I don't know other than they are super easy to adjust.

Damn! I didn’t know those straps were old fashioned. I will use no other kind. I absolutely hate the straps that take several minutes of hard effort each to unwrap, adjust, and rewrap … times 3 … several times … as both sail and board are getting tumbled by wind and water. What’s WITH all that frapping WRAPPING?

Freck’n right! Building them and sailing them are two totally different hobbies. Speaking of which … where does “hobby” end and “passion” or “obsession” end? “Oh, you windsurf. That’s a nice hobby. Do you ever get to Hood River?” (It’s a couple of hours away; I get there at 4:30 AM when I go.)

Yes, I’ve asked several shops for an apple and been told “Oh, you’ll hate apples. You want this orange” or “I can put you on this great broccoli for $5 off!”. Advice is fine, but BS sucks.
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Iso

Stop here if you read this one before.

I got a true story about the Gorge. I think it was maybe October ’85 sailing at Newport (RI)’s 3rd beach on a great NNE Day. Not a cloud in the sky, but getting cool for my first real wetsuit an Aleeda. I think some of the Aleeda is still in use round the house. I was getting competent on by Sailboard 335 with gybing, harnessing and being fully strapped.

Some of the “big boys” from 1st were really going for it over at the “beginner’s beach. One short-ish very personable guy with a mop of curly blond hair took the time to give me encouragement. Clearly he knew wtf he was doing on an insanely short polypro board. After asking me what I did, he said he was soon off to the west – destination Hood River. He said he’d like to get there by spring but was gonna take his time and ski his way across the Rockies, playing his guitar at night.

Man, I left that day feel’n good about the session; but slightly depressed wishing I had the balls and talent to take off and do something like that.

4-5 years later, my boss asked if I’d be willing to take a big chance and move to Corvallis for 2 years to work on a new HP site. My mind said fVck yah!; but I instantly said “you bet”.

I never did run into that guy (Moe Dixon??) but his carefree good nature always stuck with me.

Nothing tasted better that getting a super caffeine charged mocha shake from the ice cream shop near Windance for the trip home!

That trip led to me to working for a Portland based company for the next 13 years.

Man I loved the big sky out there!

Life ain’t too bad around here. After taking a nap I ran out the door and caught the last of a half way decent session of knee to waist high surf – pictures 2 and 3 were me caught on my big “brother’s”spy cam.

morebeach-cam2014-02-01-15 one more.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.62 KB
 Viewed:  9980 Time(s)

morebeach-cam2014-02-01-15 one more.jpg

camera0-2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  419.25 KB
 Viewed:  9980 Time(s)

camera0-2.jpg

Last edited by ron.c on Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:42 am; edited 4 times in total
ron.c

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

opps - the order was reversed 3,2,1
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron ... I'm sure you know many people don't have the luxury of an in-company brier-patch move like that. Without it, a move that big, even in a good economy, takes more commitment and nerve than many people have. MANY, probably most, people are afraid to relocate even from dead-end jobs, NO jobs, or lousy wind. Through great effort and fortuitous timing, I managed to get "stuck" in five great places many people want to avoid and to avoid hellholes many are forced into. If it weren't for Viet Nam and the draft, I'd have spent my life in Delaware, fer God's sake, at a great corporate R&D job but missing out on several places and activities that have meant everything to me.

Moe is still a very active fixture in the Hood River and PacNW music scene. Google him up for a blast from the past and an update on where his dream led him. Reminds me of another guitar player from my high school class who preceded Moe on a similar quest out west, a kid named John Deutschendorf. I hear he changed his name to reflect his feelings for a town he fell in love with: Denver.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: