myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thje John Birch Society
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of old farts! Am I the only one here who sees the value in pushing some physical limits? Yeah, I skateboarded down closed highways as a kid in the Black Hills. Skied a lot of chutes too.

We sit around a gripe about kids sitting in front of the TV or computer screen then diss them when they go out and go for it! I bet they are liberal...probably not sitting around watching FOX.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this morphed into an evolution thread? Or are we blaming it all on Welch? I fear that many of the Darwin candidates on the clips will reproduce before they die. Is this killing off evolution? Or will they all become kiters in the vain hope that they will always fall on something softer than concrete?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pushing our OWN physical limits is fine by me. But if I saw young kids, in person, pushing the limits of curbs, stair railings, and bumpers wearing just short and tees, I'd be calling Child Protection Services, because their parents are idiots. That adult skaters expect my insurance premiums to fix injuries due to that level of risk is outrageous. (Those wild'n'crazy fitness courses like Crossfit/PRX can't even GET insurance in some states, and they're a lot safer than unprotected urban UTube stupidity.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead:

I think we all did dumb stuff growing up and some probably still do. But those with half a brain probably did not evaluate the risk/reward factor and made a choice to "go for it" when that was just plain stupid. In the mid to late 60's while in college, two buddies and I were messing with a skate board (small size at the time), one wanted to be towed behind the car, the other attempted a downhill run on a city street, and both wiped out over curbs to land on grass yards without injury (and no protection). At my turn, I chicken out because I was "chicken". I assume that the risk/reward factor in my mind worked successfully.

Some kids will never try anything involving a risk (helicopter parenting), others will try anything regardless of risk (no parenting), while many will find a happy medium, which is probably the best place to be.

Many of the kids in the video I posted were just plain stupid (peer pressure amplifies the stupid factor), while a few others just ran into some bad luck. There is nothing inherently wrong with skateboarding as long as developing brains have reached a point where the risk/reward factor is given some serious consideration.

Sometimes as adults, unintentionally, we get into a situation where the risk factor goes extremely high. I am sure we all have had moments when we stopped to think - "crap, did I just do that".

At around age 62-64, a few years back, I took my GPS on a ski trip to Telluride. There is one moderately steep blue run where you need some speed to cover the long flats at the bottom, so at some point on the steep, everyone "goes for it" to get some speed. The better skiers start higher than the intermediates.

I had a GPS and thought that it would be fun to see how fast I could go, which turned out to be 62 mph. I now look back and think that the stupid factor won out over what I thought was a pretty sensible risk/reward factor. Sometimes, we still do dumb stuff. I think I have the skills to repeat the run again and again at even faster speeds without crashing, but what is to be gained by pushing the limits at my age? Risk too high - reward too low.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno. Im going to challenge your 62 mph. Thats downhill racer speed, and unless your name is Bill Johnson or Franz Klammer....I doubt you clipped more than , maybe 40-45. Better get that GPS fixed!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food for thought

T
Quote:
he following year, in 1974, McKinney returned to Cervinia and established his first world speed skiing record, passing through the speed traps at 189.473 km/h (117.7 mph).[13] His record was surpassed the following year at Cervinia. Two years after that, at Portillo, Chile in 1977, McKinney set a new record at 198.020 km/h (123.0 mph).

DEATH - In the early hours of November 10, 1990, while on his way to San Francisco for a business meeting, McKinney pulled his Volkswagen off of Interstate 5 near Sacramento, California. Another car veered off the road and slammed into the back of the parked Volkswagen, killing McKinney. According to investigators, McKinney's car may have had mechanical problems, and he had apparently climbed into the back seat to sleep before seeking help
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year at Squaw...they had a pro tour downhill race. These are former Olympian downhillers, like Daron Rahlves. From the top of Olympic Lady(40degree pitch), to the base ..about a one minute course. The top speeds were 55-65. If Techno hit 62 at age 62 just screweing around, then my hats off to him, maybe he is an Oylmpic downhiller.....
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boggs,

All I can say is that on a second run beside my wife (a slower skier), together we hit 53. It's what the Garmin said, that's all I can say. So, was the GPS correct? I can't say for sure.

On a 40 degree slope (at the top) and about 1/4 to 1/3 mile long in a tuck, you can gain a lot of speed. I did not try to turn, just stayed straight through the run out, which has a little up to it and runs about 1/4+ mile.

Downhill racers are making turns at 60 mph, not something that I could or would attempt.

I will be in Telluride again in a week, and I will take the GPS, but with a little more caution, will make some fast runs to see if there is any consistency in the readings.

Damn that peer pressure!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Techno..props to you if the reading is accurate. Quite impressive.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
In the mid to late 60's while in college, two buddies and I were messing with a skate board (small size at the time), one wanted to be towed behind the car, the other attempted a downhill run on a city street, and both wiped out over curbs to land on grass yards without injury (and no protection). At my turn, I chicken out because I was "chicken". I assume that the risk/reward factor in my mind worked successfully.

There is nothing inherently wrong with skateboarding as long as developing brains have reached a point where the risk/reward factor is given some serious consideration.

That point is in our mid-20s, according to brain development professionals.

My 1963 skateboards were oak planks with steel wheels (ordinary roller skate parts) bolted to them. Noisy as hell, poor traction, low durability, and pissed off the girls' dorm mommas and campus police at midnight on segmented sidewalks, but we weren't dumb enough to try to do stunts on concrete and steel. New asphalt suburban streets were our golden fleece, where we'd ram curbs padded by Spanish moss as we flew into soft yards and parks at about 30 mph. Freeways at midnight, sure, but speeds were still manageable, barely faster than a 25 mph sprint. But bumpers? Oncoming cars? Jumping off buildings onto concrete? Steel railings? Stairs? Even flat-ground jumping tricks on concrete? GUARANTEED injuries, many serious. I just don't get that, even after racing desert bikes for decades; the guys who occasionally won them paid huge physical prices. I guess it's the same concept as trying drugs; just too stupid to consider the consequences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: