myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Causes of terrorism.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the poll doesn't indicate is how many asked to participate in this poll said, "go screw yourself you idiot!". So the poll probably most accurately indicates that some people are dumb enough to entertain such nonsense.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Some folks did not respond.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks here really want this poll to mean something else.
They want that really badly.
I want the reality to change.
Ignoring these folks all this time is letting this nonsense grow. We let that happen with Muslims who believe this.
How did that turn out?
Head in hole is always appealing when the truth is so frightening.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC, If you seriously believe a poll that claims millions of Americans think Obama really IS Satan, then either your common sense has gone walkabout, or your country is a giant lunatic asylum.

Come on! The pollster must have the one to have broached the question, and even a half wit would 'jump on it' with glee, especially if they hated Obama anyway. If I was asked such a damned fool question I'd certainly have given a Monty Python type response!

As for Muslim insanity (40 virgins and such) I've discussed this with my Muslim friend, and, as he says, such ignorance belongs mainly to the uneducated (tribal lands of Pakistan especially) who are deliberately denied such by the fundamentalists so that they can muscle in with THEIR agenda. (They know exactly what they are doing, and you notice THEY never put THEIR lives at risk.)

I'd be more concerned about the rise of fundamentalist Bible Bashers in America, who, equally, wish to take over from proper education (science etc) with THEIR agenda. If, as stated, many Republican politicians believe the 'end of the world is nigh', and that it doesn't matter what we do, it is THEY who need kicking out!

Have a nice future!
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT,

I believe this poll because I have been informed of this "fact" by missionaries in the past.
It is more a matter of the educated in America ignoring the problem and letting it grow.
Same for educated Muslims.
If one sees and understands the side by side growth of this stupid idea in the two camps, one can understand that the groups are in agreement.
The Christians aren't defending Christianity by fighting their imaginary Satan.
The Ignorant muslims are fighting their imaginary Satan by attacking us.

Those who understand this can understand the enemy.
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poll was about many things not just Satan as
You windsurf points out.
6% of liberals agreed and a another 13% of libs and GOP weren't sure.

Click on his link and you will understand better.

Or just ignore it like we did with the rising tide of Muslims who believe this.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC, I do agree with you that understanding a problem is necessary, but that, of itself, does not solve it. You cannot reason with fanatical zeal.

It has long been recognised (as Coboard pointed out) that empowerment of Muslim women may be our best chance of 'fighting' Islamic radicalism, but how can that be achieved when we have no leverage in Islamic states, and the fundamental nature of those regimes deliberately keeps women subservient. We can't influence them in their own countries. We can only do so if they settle in ours.

I've learnt a lot from my Muslim friends family, and how their children have adapted to our Western way of life. His daughter worked hard, gained a first class degree, and, on the strength of that, and her PhD, gained a position in a research lab, all of which makes it likely that she will marry (when she actually gets round to it) outside of her faith. (Though I've little doubt, she will wear the trousers, so to speak!)

I also agree with you that growing Western Biblical fundamentalism is a direct threat to education (especially science) and is in direct conflict with enlightenment. It has no place in rigorous study of sciences, and must not be allowed to gain control.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurgletrousers said:
Quote:
I also agree with you that growing Western Biblical fundamentalism is a direct threat to education (especially science) and is in direct conflict with enlightenment. It has no place in rigorous study of sciences, and must not be allowed to gain control.

I decided to take a look and found this:
Quote:
Jan. 2 (UPI) -- Sixty percent of Americans said they believe in evolution, about the same as in 2009, with 33 percent rejecting the idea outright, according to a new poll by the Pew Research Center.
While 60 percent said they agreed that “humans and other living things have evolved over time,” 24 percent of respondents said that “a supreme being guided the evolution of living things for the purpose of creating humans and other life in the form it exists today.”

Thirty-two percent believed that evolution was a natural process and did not involve any higher power.

A widening gap in responses along party lines is largely due to a drop among Republicans, with 43 percent agreeing that humans evolved over time, down from 54 percent in 2009.

Nearly two-thirds of Democrats (67 percent) and Independents (65 percent) said they believed in evolution.

Racial and ethnic differences in the two parties did not account for their differing beliefs and the gap remained even when these were factored.

While a majority of white evangelical Protestants and a half of black Protestants believe humans existed in their current form since the beginning of time, nearly 80 percent of mainline Protestants said humans evolved over time.

Seventy six percent of the religiously unaffiliated, 68 percent of white non-Hispanic Catholics and about half of Hispanic Catholics also believed in the theory of evolution.

Among those aged 18-29, 68 percent say humans evolved over time, compared with 60 percent of those aged 30-49, 59 percent of those aged 50-64 and less than half of those aged 65 and older at 49 percent. Seventy-two percent of college graduates say humans evolved over time compared with 51 percent of those with a high school diploma or less.

[Pew Research Center]

[url]Read more: http://www.upi.com/Science_News/Blog/2014/01/02/Sixty-percent-of-Americans-believe-in-evolution/1821388695948/#ixzz2rhYTEHQH[/url]

I don't think things are as shaky as Gurgle may suggest:
Quote:
Western Biblical fundamentalism is a direct threat to education (especially science) and is in direct conflict with enlightenment.

I am always surprised at the impact of "Biblical fundamentalism" with what hopefully are logical thinking adults, but religion can have a big impact on what people believe. There are bright spots (depending on your view point). As I have said before, I worked in independent schools for 32 years, two Episcopal based K - 12 schools. Both taught evolution in all science classes. Chapel services were required, but I do not recall creationism or evolution ever being a topic.

I also went to a Methodist University where religion was only offered to those that were in the school of theology, which as a percentage of undergraduates was very small.

I think the most telling stats in the poll are:
Quote:
In fact, nearly eight-in-ten white mainline Protestants (78%) say that humans and other living things have evolved over time. Three-quarters of the religiously unaffiliated (76%) and 68% of white non-Hispanic Catholics say the same.
There are a lot of "believers" that back evolution, but also think God had a hand in the process.
pueno

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
As I have said before, I worked in independent schools for 32 years, two Episcopal based K - 12 schools. Both taught evolution in all science classes. Chapel services were required, but I do not recall creationism or evolution ever being a topic.

The Episcopal top bishop (so-called "Presiding Bishop") is a woman, Katherine Jefferts Schori. She has degrees in biology and oceanography, including a PhD.

Given her education and scientific background, I doubt that she'd reject evolution, and I doubt that any Episcopal school (not including an Anglican school) would think to question the science of evolution.

"Jefferts Schori attended school in New Jersey, then earned a Bachelor of Science degree in biology from Stanford University in 1974, a Master of Science degree in oceanography in 1977, and a Doctor of Philosophy degree in 1983, also in oceanography, from Oregon State University. She is an instrument-rated pilot, and both her parents were pilots.'

More here.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stats

I did not verify another source on this...

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013/05/muslims-only-carried-out-2-5-percent-of-terrorist-attacks-on-u-s-soil-between-1970-and-2012.html

Quote:

(We determined that approximately 118 of the terror attacks – or 4.9% – were carried out by Jewish groups such as Jewish Armed Resistance, the Jewish Defense League, Jewish Action Movement, United Jewish Underground and Thunder of Zion. This is almost twice the percentage of Islamic attacks within the United States. In addition, there were approximately 168 attacks – or 7% – by anti-abortion activists, who tend to be Christian. Fuerzas Armadas de Liberacion Nacional – a Puerto Rican paramilitary organization - carried out more than 120 bomb attacks on U.S. targets between 1974 and 1983, and there were some 41 attacks by Cuban exiles, and a number of attacks by other Latin American groups.

Between 1970 and 2011, 32 percent of the perpetrator groups were motivated by ethnonationalist/separatist agendas, 28 percent were motivated by single issues, such as animal rights or opposition to war, and seven percent were motivated by religious beliefs. In addition, 11 percent of the perpetrator groups were classified as extreme right-wing, and 22 percent were categorized as extreme left-wing.

Seems like religions of all sorts have terrorists, but the vast majority of terrorist have agendas that are not related to their religious beliefs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: