myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
lake arenal / costa rica
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which has better odds of success for real-world sailors on shortboards ... planing tacks or tight planing jibes? (You ... a freestyler ... have tried for how many years without completing even ONE.) One failed tack attempt loses more ground than the difference between a planing tack and a tight jibe.

Ya don't need to tack a sinker to know that.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze; Mike, can't you get your facts straight? I said attempted to PLANE through one. I didn't say just do one. I can do them all day till the cows come home. Pretty much the same as jibes. All it takes is time and practice to learn them.

You see Tacks are just another skill to learn windsurfing. And the more skills you have, the better off you will be. Of course if you only have one skill and have really long arms to pat yourself on the back, I guess that is enough.....
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Formula boards plane at a lower speed than any other board. That is no secret. Should a Formula board therefore have an advantage in executing a fully planing tack? I have many times seen a near planing tack by Xavier and he says almost planing is what he does consistently. Maybe a ducktack would best serve this goal as it would keep the board trim relatively uniform. Just an idea .......
tstizzle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: It Doth Wind Reply with quote

It Doth Wind at Lake Arenal!

as you know, lake arenal is known for good, strong wind. in my 15 years windsurfing, i have never been to a windsurfing location that delivers the quantity of windy days than as does lake arenal. the success ratio, meaning the number of days you can sail, is on the order of 13 out of 14 or, in other words, MORE THAN 90%!

early in this trip we spent a few days with lighter wind. as you may recall, the trip so far has been 12 days of sailing. out of those 12 days there was a only single day when i didn't sail, but enjoyed the new fanatic inflatable standup board. most of the other days were great, but slightly lighter

well, today the wind returned. and it went to 11!

during the morning commute (traffic was light) there is a view from a hillside overlooking the lake. the wind was strong and building. here's a shot from the overlook (through the jungle with MONKEYS!!!!) - yes, looks flat. but as you know, the camera robs the water of its vitriol:

i quickly grabbed an almost brand new North Hero 3.7, and a 86 liter fanatic freewave:

and hit the water (sometimes quite literally) on my wee kit. i was oh-so-happy for the stronger winds!!:

no need to comment on my fat belly. i'm aware of it and jenny craig is tailoring a plan for windsurfers. it was windy all day. i personally got three session: 2 hours in the morning on 3.7, 1 in the afternoon on 3.7 and another on 4.2. here's a shot of our Uncle Normandale (yours and mine), ripping it up on his 3.7:

and here's some more kinda fun pics: a sequence of Gregoire du Montreal screaming into a Switch Stance/Reverse Footed Jibe:

it continued all...day...long! my arms are killing while typing this. yet there were a couple of cool things that happened at the end of the day.

first, the lake developed an incredible rainbow. it wasn't a single rainbow. it wasn't even a double rainbow. it was the first time in my life i have seen a TRIPLE rainbow. i tried like hell to get a pic but by the time i got on shore, got the camera, and shot it, the color had been outsourced to china and it had gone back to a single:

so, sailing day done, we popped some vitamin I and hit the road. after the long commute back to our jungle cabina, cold pilsen beer in hand, we arrived to a couple of visitors in the tree over our house. a gaggle of howler monkeys occasionally live in the tree above.

and tonight was their night to visit:

and here's another shot of a mama monkey with a wee baby on her back. look over the shoulder to see the baby:

the forecast is for GOOD WIND the next few days. as i sit here with the patio door open, the wind is absolutely howling.

maybe that's how the Howler Monkeys got their name: Howling Wind.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
Geeze; Mike, can't you get your facts straight? I said attempted to PLANE through one. I didn't say just do one. I can do them all day till the cows come home. Pretty much the same as jibes. All it takes is time and practice to learn them.

You see Tacks are just another skill to learn windsurfing. And the more skills you have, the better off you will be. Of course if you only have one skill and have really long arms to pat yourself on the back, I guess that is enough.....

Read my post. That's exactly what I said: you have yet to "do" one planing shortboard tack. By the time you tack to a crawl and get a small board back onto a plane, the tight jiber is LONG gone upwind. Fall, and he's outta sight before the tacker is even back on his board.

You isobashers would look a lot more rational if you'd look before bashing.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: It Doth Wind Reply with quote

tstizzle wrote:
as you know, lake arenal is known for good, strong wind. in my 15 years windsurfing, i have never been to a windsurfing location that delivers the quantity of windy days than as does lake arenal. the success ratio, meaning the number of days you can sail, is on the order of 13 out of 14 or, in other words, MORE THAN 90%!

Yeeaaahhh ... but where are all those 3 to 5 foot swell you talked about? We have yet to see obscured knees, let alone shoulders.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
johnl wrote:

Read my post. That's exactly what I said: you have yet to "do" one planing shortboard tack. By the time you tack to a crawl and get a small board back onto a plane, the tight jiber is LONG gone upwind. Fall, and he's outta sight before the tacker is even back on his board.

Mr. Fick-shun is correct, you guys should read what he wrote before you jump all over him. What's he's really saying with all his self-congratualtory blather is:
"I can't tack"

tstizzle

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: It Doth Wind Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
tstizzle wrote:

Yeeaaahhh ... but where are all those 3 to 5 foot swell you talked about? We have yet to see obscured knees, let alone shoulders.

there's no way i could get a pic of the swell. it's further out in the lake and all i have is a crappy point-n-shoot. plus, i'm more into the sailing than the picture-taking.
faradroka1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the waves and swell are over here in Los Barriles Twisted Evil

T-man, good to see you are still representing bay area in lake arenal...

1-DSCN5279_l.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  847.1 KB
 Viewed:  11816 Time(s)

1-DSCN5279_l.JPG

johnl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
By the time you tack to a crawl and get a small board back onto a plane, the tight jiber is LONG gone upwind. Fall, and he's outta sight before the tacker is even back on his board.

Once again you have no idea what you are talking about. Nobody I know crawls to a tack. Cause if you did, you would have zero chance of ever planing through it right? So if you are CLOSE to planing through it, then you aren't crawling. Duh.... But hey, look at this scenario. Light, barely planing winds and you need to get upwind. You won't plane out of a jibe (or a tack in this scenario). Which do you think would be better?

Here let me tell a "fictional story" to see if it helps you get it.....

Three people. We'll keep in simple and use fake names. Noob, WS, and SPWSG.

Noob asks WS and SPWSG a question. He says hey guys, I'm thinking about eating an orange. I've never eaten one before, I tend to eat apples, what do you think...

SPWSG says..... You don't need oranges. I've eaten 10's of thousands of apples and they are the best. I eat them all day long sometimes for 8 hours a day. They are the best. I've never eaten an orange but because of my vast experience eating apples I can tell you that you are wasting your time eating an orange.

WS says..... Well I've eaten both oranges and apples. Both are pretty good. But they are different. I would suggest trying both of them before you decide....

Now most will get this and laugh. I'd bet money one person will never get this......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: