myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Never been to La Ventana?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Never been to La Ventana? Reply with quote

I just got back from my first trip to Mexico to Windsurf at La Ventana.

Although i have windsurfed for many years I have traveled very little to windsurfing destinations. Maui once and the gorge once.

Big thumbs up for La Ventana. There is a lot of cool stuff packed into that bay. I was there 9 days and had 6 great days of really steady 5.0 wind.

I chose to stay at prowindsurflaventana.com and this post is a bit of a plug for their resort. This is run by Wyatt Miller and Tyson Poor. I was unlikely to drive down or pay to fly with gear but people do.

I flew into cabo and caught the bus to a place called san antonio where Wyatt picked me up. One of the other guests flew into La Paz and Wyatt picked him up there.

The accommodation is pretty sweet. I had a one room casita with fridge, balcony, and kettle (that was quickly procured when I told Wyatt I was a tea drinker).

The gear is really nice and fully rigged at the beach which is about a one minute walk from the house.

Also, they provide Quatrimotos (ATVs) for transportation into town for food, shopping and sightseeing. Really fun.

In addition, my sailing improved dramatically with the tips and demos provided by Wyatt throughout my stay.

Anyway I thought people would be interested in my feedback.

cheers

Roland
combs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur with the coolness that is La Ventana. Just got back from a 2 week stay and had 11 great days of sailing, the last day being the best with a big El Norte on a 5.0 (some lesser specimens were on 3.5's).

I stayed at Ventana Windsports and cannot say enough good things about the place. Edgar and Kenny are sure you have great food and drink and Clayton hooks you up with their sweet gear.

Somebody needs to do something about all the danglers, though. The place is over run with 'em...perhaps a spray?
windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving for Wyatt's with some other Berkeley geezers Thursday...will report back.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roland! Yep it's been good down here at La Ventana. Today will be day 15 of a 16 day trip (1 travel day each way). My wind luck has been a little less, but still probably 9 or 10 out of 14 days. I've been overpowered on a 4.4 and I've been on a 6.5. But I think the 100l with a 5.4 has been good to me Smile

The town is real cool. Small, but very friendly. Prices are good (killer margaritas for about $4 and beer is much cheaper). You can walk to most of the places if you want to, but the quads are more fun Smile

Windoggie, some of your other Berkeley friends arrived a few days ago they might still be here when you get here....
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about those margarita's at Las Palmas!
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
How about those margarita's at Las Palmas!

They are muy peligroso! I have been stung by them in the past.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like my last day has come now Sad Sailed 10 out of 14 days. Biggest board was a 115l, smallest was an 87l. Biggest sail a 6.5 smallest a 4.4 (I weigh 190). Heck I'll take that any day Smile

Yeah the margaritas at Las Palmas were killer, but I spent far more time at Pappas (at least I think that was the name). Has two killer taco places on either side. Fish and shrimp on one side, steak and carnitas on the other. After eating I hit the bar there. Smile
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm headed to La Ventana in Feb. Never been there. Any tips/suggestions?
Getting around? Cash? Water temps? etc?

uwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsangeor wrote:
I'm headed to La Ventana in Feb. Never been there. Any tips/suggestions?
Getting around? Cash? Water temps? etc?

Are you flying in? Los Cabos or La Paz? Where are you staying? You may or may not need or want a rental car.

I like to use Pesos. I exchange at the airport. If you pay with dollars at a restaurant, it is a crap shoot as to the exchange rate you will get.

The main grocery store in El Sargento, Oscarito's now accepts credit cards as well as three restaurants that I am aware of: Coya's, Palapas Ventana and Playa Central. There is an ATM at Bandidos Bar. There is no bank in town.

I don't know the exact water temp. but it is probably high 60's to maybe 70. I wear a 2 mm spring suit quite comfortably. I see many kiters wearing only board shorts.

Have a great time!
Brian_S

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youwindsurf wrote:

Are you flying in? Los Cabos or La Paz? Where are you staying? You may or may not need or want a rental car.

I like to use Pesos. I exchange at the airport. If you pay with dollars at a restaurant, it is a crap shoot as to the exchange rate you will get.

The main grocery store in El Sargento, Oscarito's now accepts credit cards as well as three restaurants that I am aware of: Coya's, Palapas Ventana and Playa Central. There is an ATM at Bandidos Bar. There is no bank in town.

I don't know the exact water temp. but it is probably high 60's to maybe 70. I wear a 2 mm spring suit quite comfortably. I see many kiters wearing only board shorts.

Have a great time!

Thanks for that info. We're flying to LAP and Wyatt or a driver is supposed to pick us up. I'm a little worried about the return flight since we depart at 6am and not sure how reliable the transportation will be at that time of the morning.

If I exchange for peso's, any suggestions for how much I should plan to spend per day. I doubt that I would cook much, so 3 meals out.

How far is the town/restaurants from Wyatt's place?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: