myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Should I get this board?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magestate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:07 pm    Post subject: Should I get this board? Reply with quote

Returning to Windsurf. I do have short boards, use to live in a incredibly windy area...but now i moved to a place were wind avg is about 5-7 knts. need a board for those really light days.. were planning might not be even possible... I am looking at a used Mistral Prodigy. Will this board take new rigs? How much would you pay for it? Is it possible to get new fins and centreboards for it? Is the one design assoc still alive? Any information will be appreciated..
Thanks!
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

talk about wind minimums Sad
i am a longboarder before shortboarder
my wind minimum is about 20 kph (Canadian weather stations) or about 10 knots
even in those winds the board better glide well OR wide boards with BIG sails and PUMP - the lighter you are the better

in other words, i know of NO board that would work for me in those light winds - sorry

but that's just me - perhaps Serenity - no longer made i believe ...
magestate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: yes i think is quite limited Reply with quote

any opinions on the board???
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: yes i think is quite limited Reply with quote

Yup, my opinion is that that board is too short and wide to have much
sub plane glide, and you'll need that if you want to play around in 5-7 knot
winds. A better choice would be something like a Kona, which has
a longer water line.

-Craig

magestate wrote:
any opinions on the board???
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsup. You can also paddle it. Much better than old long boards for light wind.
RichardMueller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prodigy will work well for you in light/moderate conditions and so will the Kona.

I have had as large as 9.5m on both boards and everything was fine. Yes, you can get any Prodigy gear you will need and "modern" equipment will work well.

I like the lines on the Kona better so that would be my choice. However it is a bigger board than the Prodigy so make sure it fits your space. I expect the Kona will cost more than a Prodigy.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prodigy is a pretty good board. It will definitely get you from point A to point B, in either light or strong winds, and it works fine with either new or old sails. No problem finding powerbox fins for it, and you should be able to find daggerboards for it too with a little more looking.

I don't think the Prodigy one-design association is popular anymore, though. So "Kona ONE" would be better if you want to do one design racing.

magestate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: well i might go Reply with quote

and get it if the price is right... about 400 with a rig .. a 6.5 which i know will barely use.. just need to make sure its ok and not water logged! It does look like it was left outside on a board stand for a while...
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Prodigy never really 'took off' on this side of the pond. It fell between two stools, lacking the glide and feel of a good longboard in light winds, and the real performance of a formula boards light wind 'get up and go.' (It was a hybrid design after all.)

I owned one, and while it was certainly fast when fully powered on the plane, it was really disappointing (feel wise) when not, in the kind of winds you mention. It can handle it, and beat upwind (assuming it's the racing version with the big carbon daggerboard you are looking at, and not the more basic model) but it will lack that 'sense of purpose' that a proper good longboard has. (It never made me feel I just wanted to be out there, in lighter wind conditions.)

I think most people would get a lot more enjoyment from a Kona. That's why they are so popular.
joe_windsurfxxx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in terms of glide and fun in those extremely lite winds

Serenity > LongBoard > Kona > Prodigy

schlogging in lite winds has lost the fun factor for me

Last edited by joe_windsurfxxx on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: