myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a used freeride board 150-160 liters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably right. At the beginning tough, the board looks overfinned as it tries to rise up and roll on the side.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have enough wind your board is supposed to rise up like that. I will give that guy credit. Looks like he's got his hands full and he's giving it all he's got. Doing a good job.

In the video from :59 to 1:05? he has things well under control and is getting a great ride.
Darbonne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I'm listening. I probably need another season on the Kona. I thought that maybe going to a short board might make it easier to sail in overpowered conditions. I can't waterstart, and haven't really even tried with my 8.0 or my Kona 9.0. I did my first beach start last year with the 9.0. My jibes need work as well as sailing in the upper part of the 9.0 wind range. Went out in overpowered conditions once last year and couldn't handle it. More practice needed. I haven't sailed since the second week of November. Hope I don't lose the progress I made last year.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what your wind conditions are but if you are going to try to learn to beach & water start with a 9.0 sail you are going to have a long learning curve. Nothing wrong with your board, just your choice of sail size. For a 170 lb sailor around a 6.0 is ideal for learning beach/water start.

Coachg
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darbonne,

if you are in a lighter wind area, don't be scared of your 9.0 for water starts. Better to try often, than not! You are heavier than average, and the wind is supposed to do most of the work. I guess it would be different if you had a racing wide-luff sail instead.

The trouble with larger sails is that they are cumbersome when you make a mistake. You cannot man-handle them in position or correct for an error as easily as with a smaller sail.

With the help of web material, I did a few sessions focused on learning to waterstart with my 7.5. (Equivalent to 6.0 at my weight). Once I had figured roughly what need to be done, I practiced whenever it was required. This means mostly with my 9,0 since it's my primary sail. I think I now use less energy waterstarting the 9.0 than uphauling a 6.0.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about waterstarting a 9.0. All you need is the beachstart. Your board is big enough you should be able to uphaul.

If you don't like uphauling the 9, maybe you will be more careful and not fall.

I would Kite before I'd waterstart a 9.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a good used Bic Techno. Great first short board in that size range. Might be hard to find one used. People keep them for light wind and teaching friends. Almost unbreakable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: