myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2013 Windsurf Year in Review
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gschuel1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: 2013 Windsurf Year in Review Reply with quote

I’ve been windsurfing since 1985 but employment restricted me to weekends, holidays, and vacation. In 2012 I started a new job with flexible working hours. My New Year’s resolution last year was to sail whenever conditions were “reasonable” and keep a detailed record of my sessions. Thought it might be interesting to share my 2013 results;

99 days windsurfing, all in Rhode Island
• 49 weekdays
• 50 weekend, holiday, and vacation days

73 days powered-up and in the straps for at least 1 run, 26 days slogging
• 74% planing success rate

My board and sail size data is not representative of a typical sailor; I’m 6’2” and 240 lbs. Unfortunately the vast majority of my sessions were on a Formula board and 9m or larger sail.

Wish 2013 provided more wind, but obviously my minimum wind requirements are low.

My New Year's resolution for 2014 is 100+ sailing days !

Board Usage.jpg
 Description:
Board usage days
 Filesize:  35.17 KB
 Viewed:  19691 Time(s)

Board Usage.jpg

Sail Size.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.24 KB

Sail Size.jpg

Air Temp.jpg
 Description:
Sailing days by air temperature
 Filesize:  32.45 KB

Air Temp.jpg

Days by Month.jpg
 Description:
Sailing days by month
 Filesize:  42.26 KB

Days by Month.jpg

rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intresting post and stats. I live and sail in NJ and often wondered how many days I could sail powered up and planing in NJ if my work schedule were more flexible or I was retired. 100 Days would be sweet but I'm very thankful for the 50+ days I got this year. With the help of all the forecast tools available now and real time wind data (thanks iwindsurf), I'm able to plan my work week and cut out early when the better winds are forecast. My goal this year is to break 60 days and keep my job (and family). Here's to 2014.

Rob
dpruner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how I like to record my days on the water:)

I save the wind graph image of the closest iWind sensor to a folder on my pc and modify the file name with details of the day.

Great for a little nostalgia and to remind yourself how lucky you are to have enjoyed yet another day out in the wind and water!

7-20-12 Da cove- 98 4.4- 1st more than 1 spock in same sesh- vulcan- loops- grubs- c360s- willy 360.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.49 KB
 Viewed:  18451 Time(s)

7-20-12 Da cove- 98 4.4- 1st more than 1 spock in same sesh- vulcan- loops- grubs- c360s- willy 360.gif

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job on the details

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice recap.
You get 100 days anywhere....you are doing alright

Here's US4 (similar):
http://stevebodner.blogspot.com/2014/01/2013-by-numbers.html

ron.c

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all:

No doubt, Windsurfing brought me back to Cape Cod. For that, I'll always find time for the good days. In fact one day in July, which I think was the hottest of them all and on a Friday night, was a flat out "10" for me at Kalmus.

One the calmer days, surfing has filled in the gaps and then some.

Here's what I dumped out of my head this morning over on the "zone":

Ah -- a snow day, with power, and a chance to use the family computer without being bugged - If you all don’t mind, I’d like to wrap up 2013 in a different way by remembering the people I ran into along the way. Unscripted, unedited, off the top of my crazy head and in alphabetical order, more or less:

Abe - Nauset faithful and Ho boy who likes to travel on the water, Larry – another Ho Boy who is one of the SUP pioneers in my mind, Barry – only shared 2 sessions with him, both at Nauset, fortunately both were great, last summer clean and solid waist high, Cleve – He’d better keep that Lopez locked up, Matt – A peddler who practices what he preaches, Phil – another peddler and true believer, James – King of the road who gets the long distance trucker award, Peter – A mid cape paddler who I had the pleasure of sharing some decent days, Rick ‘Creek – What can I say, one of the strong threads in our social fabric, Geoff C. – my neighbor and go-to guy for SUP and sail, Terry – Homey with family ties, Jodie with Steve, one of our few hookups this year was a flat water paddle at Skaket, a super session that included more meaningful tie-up and chat time., Peter – Scientist and Windsurf nut. Sometimes it’s like we are the only 2 out there dueling, Nina – Windsurfing diehard who’s got way more stamina than me, Drew – Long time Kalmus connection of like minds when the wind is up, Bruce – My windsurfing surrogate father and Gerda who is more of a trusted older sister than a mother. “Endless Summer” Mark - One of the hometown big boys and a great guy too., Brendan – Hometown Big wave convert who’s big smile is infectious, Eileen – Die hard proner with hints of a softer side since her significant other is a SUP’r. Tracy – It’s great to surf with a man I knew as a boy since elementary school, Paul – we’ve shared a lifetime of sailing at Kalmus, Hardie – My hometown windsurfing big brother, Adele – not a surfer; but a CG icon, The ‘Kook - he’s got loads of talent and warmth and his great wife who I shared a couple of very nice summer sessions, Outcast – One of the “big boys” who surfs and sails, Josh A – Hawaiian royalty, bona fide world class windsurfer / surfer and a great guy to boot. I felt honored to try his gear this fall., Andy – Santa Cruz’r with hometown ties. Andy, the ‘Creek, Terry and I did it up on one blown out; but decent day., Ryan – A solid surfer when he’s not conducting tours, Brad – How can I forget Brad? We shared probably the best day of the season trading near chest high machine-like lefts down in the alley, Greg – A kindred spirit and unscathed survivor of the Wellfleet Supathon and a big fan of shark alley, Gil – Sailor and SUP’r and part of the big boy team. Peter, another sailor and SUP’r and part of the big boy team, Kim, another kindred spirit of the Supathon who made it through one of the scariest impact zone transitions on her racing board, Haley – my best girl friend who’s a proner for life, at least until she gets out of high school, Trevor – My best boyfriend , who started SUP’g with me on my hand-me-down windsurfer, Liz – My tandem SUP partner and partner of a few other things, Morebeach Mike – What happened this summer? Although we missed this summer, we’ve shared enough super days that I know more will come, Vec – We haven’t surfed together, but he is making me a new windsurfer to replace my 21yr old Haut., Gray – He and I often owned the smaller; but cleaner rights, just north of Rick’s this summer, John, Walt, Oh that's right, Big Bob who I’m sure is capable of swinging a big stone axe, Bill in his big black Audi, and a few more ---- they are waking up, got to go!

How could I forget Jeff, newer hard core sailor and father of Ian and the Purple One.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, well stated and I certainly think "The Dude would Abide".
Man you sure have a lot spinning in that head of yours!!
Looking forward to sharing some waves in 2014. Very Happy
Oh and thanks for reminding me why I love living on Cape Cod so much!
We really are lucky.

WaterKook

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok you guys inspired me to do a video recap.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siJMai7nGl4&feature=em-upload_owner

pete1111

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one !!!! Very Happy
lasrer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video Jerry!

I enjoyed it and the song about the gorge was hysterical.

Hatchery: money talks and bullshit walks, if you don't have money you launch on the rocks!

Who is the artist? (besides you....)

ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: