myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for HiFly MADD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

winter project is a tri fin conversion on a Tabou Rocket 135L.
had thought about a twin ala Madd, but the center on the tri will only be a little longer, and feel more confidant about the tri , 2+1 configuration , going upwind . Also weight addition will be less with little side bite boxes.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Windnc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Highfly Madd Reply with quote

I have had the Madd 135 now since 2005 and still love it for light wind ocean / wave sailing. With a couple of wave fins to improve turning over the stock fins and coupled with my Aerotech 7.4 phantom sail, it becomes a really fun board to ride and it surfs well too for a board of this volume.
Also due to its volume you can easily get out over the surf and white water, and it planes off nicely once out too. During lulls you can uphaul it without problem and it is really easy to stand on and tack too while subplaning and positioning yourself for an incoming wave.
Occasionally I will take it over to the sound and those shorter twin fins really let you use a bigger sail effectively without running your longer single fin aground in the shallow waters there.
So undoubtedly there are better boards of this type out there now but I am keeping my Madd 135 for as long as I can.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
winter project is a tri fin conversion on a Tabou Rocket 135L.
had thought about a twin ala Madd, but the center on the tri will only be a little longer, and feel more confidant about the tri , 2+1 configuration , going upwind . Also weight addition will be less with little side bite boxes.

Hi U2U2U2,

How did that project work out for you with the side bites? What length fins are you using with your largest sail?

I have the 145 Rocket and am thinking of putting two a boxes back there so I can use the board with two or three fins. Water here is shallow with shifting sandbars. I really hate running aground when powered up!
jschmucker2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windnc - what wave fins do you use on the 135? My wife has a 138 with the stock twin, short, very vertical fins - not easy to turn at all. Would like to try using the 138 for some light wind wave sailing, but it would need to be a LOT looser if i'm going to avoid getting munched.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tri fin Rocket was used in 2012/13 , I have only sailed the board once with a single fin, its worked great with a 2+1 setup. I did this for the same reason you want except more rocks than sand.

The fins sizes need to be used together, in the photo the center is 28cm Weed, it has less depth than a freeride fin while it still has a lot of area. Largest center I use is 30cm.

Sides have been 11--12.5cm, the red are 10.5cm , the black ones are 11.5 and are FCS H3s, very light and sophisticate inside foils

you are on my favorite subject now fins. That is just the tip of the iceberg for installation, the first thing is decide what box and or FINs you want to use, then where to place them.

IF you really want to sail with 2 fins, and 3 as well , the placement will be for the "twins" different than for three, they need to be inside rather than on the rail, the rail placement would allow smaller fins , larger on the "twins".

center above is almost too small a 24, the sides are the FCS H3s, very good.

smaller sail 6.0 well powered up. I largest sail was a 8.5 Lion, I used a lot of different fin combinations 28 and 11.5 works as well as any.

PM me if you want any other info, would be best to talk on the phone, slo typed here

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jschmucker2 wrote:
Windnc - what wave fins do you use on the 135? My wife has a 138 with the stock twin, short, very vertical fins - not easy to turn at all. Would like to try using the 138 for some light wind wave sailing, but it would need to be a LOT looser if i'm going to avoid getting munched.

I think the Madd has powerbox ..?

I would look at Maui Ultra Fins, Xwave or BlackProject Fins

I dont think anyone makes a twin set in powerbox.

If it has a USBox then K4s, for sure from 4Boards in the UK

pacspeed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Hard-to-find-boards Reply with quote

I know a lot of people (myself included) that spend a lot of time trying to hunt down a specific board. I think we need to take another look at custom. Since the sports has shrunk back in volume to something like the early days, it may be a viable option to have a shaper build it for you. Seeing how new boards have reached somewhat ridiculous levels I bet it would almost be a wash on cost, and the unique nature of the craft, tailored to exactly what you want/sail/need would be worth the minor hassle.

New materials like closed cell epoxy layup will make any of the old poly/glass shortcomings disappear, and other things like stringers you can only get from a shaper, that you'll never get from a popout.

Art Colyer at North Pacific Surfboards in Hood River, has tons of windsurfing experience. Same for Ward Coffey in Santa Cruz. Real Wind and Open Ocean I believe will also do custom work.
spennie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Nelson just made me my first custom, and it's bitchen'! www.nelsonfactory.com The nice thing about working with someone like Mark is that he can change his basic design around to suit you. My design came out at 95 liters or something, so I simply asked him to fatten up the tail until it was 105, and presto! it was done. It's pretty fun as well as getting you EXACTLY what you want/need. Mark sends you a 3-D CAD drawing by e-mail and you ask for changes, you both tweak it back & forth until it's just right. His base price (summer 2013) for a custom board is $2200. + shipping. Of course, it's not a bad idea to go to Maui to pick it up...........

IMG_3875.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  92.41 KB
 Viewed:  15476 Time(s)

IMG_3875.jpg

Windnc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:38 pm    Post subject: HIFLY MADD Reply with quote

jschmucker2 wrote:

jschmucker2:

For light wind wave sailing on my MADD 135 I use a pair of True Ames 8.75" (22cm) Surfgrass fins. They really loosen up the board compared to the stock vertical fins and also allow riding on the weedy, shallow sound side of Hatteras/OBX. I would think though that any good powerbox wave fins of around this size would work well too. You will notice that the board will be a little slower to plane off and won't cut up wind quite as well compared to riding the stock fins but it certainly surfs a whole lot better. I also have the foot straps set on the inboard settings to aid in better positioning for wave riding.

I should add that I am 200 pounds in weight too so perhaps a ligher person could get away with slightly smaller fins in the 8.25" (21cm) range?

Chuck
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://4boards.co.uk/Windsurf/Fins/K4_Bubble_Freestyle_Fin_Power_Box

these are available in 22cm length

I would try a pair them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: