myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
adding marks to mast for boom position
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could have worded that more clearly! I agree with you relative to tuning. I'm talking about gross resets, where you change the length of your extension.

I'll also add swchandler's comment about different boom clamps figuring in. Mark the sail, not the mast.

kmf wrote:
"3. If you make substantial downhaul setting changes for conditions, your "spot" wont move if marked on the sail."

So you advocate changing your boom height when you change downhaul settings????

Hmmm.....not sure I agree with that.

KMF

willysp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I already marked the mast. I ll see how I like it and them maybe I will mark the sails if I need it. I don't think I will have a lot of problems since I have one boom, one mast (I actually have 2 masts but different lengths) and one extension
Willy
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For everyone else, I don't mark anything, I simply cup my right hand over the extension base (without the universal), extend both arms in a straight line (like a cross) and place the boom head somewhere between my "elbow pit" out to the center of my forearm, which is about a 6" range. Where I place the boom depends on the board and sail - formula - further along my forearm (high boom) - small stuff - closer to my "elbow pit" (low boom). I have a bunch of masts and sails and this technique is pretty accurate and very fast once you know where you want your boom with each sail.

I know some like to be more precise, but this has worked for me for 30 years. I have to admit that on occasion, I have adjusted boom height on the water (non-sinker boards) when I didn't take the time to measure and just guessed while in a hurry.

Some friends have a tape measure that they always use and have recorded on a piece of paper where the boom should be for each sail.

When using the same boom and extension on multiple sails and masts, it's best to write everything down - cm's of extension, for both boom and extension for each sail so there is no guessing and readjusting.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those unwilling to read the previous threads ... knotted string. Dead on, every time.
cbknap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best-engineered sails (e.g. North Warps) already have an adjustment scale marked on the mast sleeve. If your sail doesn't, get a Sharpie and make your own marks, evenly spaced.

--cbk

PS: if you are using modern boards (i.e. <245 cm long) and you are setting the boom so you can rest it on the tail when you water start, your boom is too low. Way too low.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbknap wrote:
PS: if you are using modern boards (i.e. <245 cm long) and you are setting the boom so you can rest it on the tail when you water start, your boom is too low. Way too low.

For the uninitiated, that has been debated since mast tracks moved back a couple of decades ago, with no resolution. It is a choice, not a rule, dependent on many factors beaten to death in other threads.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody still set the boom to rest ON the tail of modern short boards? Most have a favoured setting (especially if tall) of a bit beyond the tail.

Longboards have particular requirements of their own, of course.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.T., all my Mike's Lab boards (the newest being a 2010/2011 model at nearly 239cm) allow the boom to rest on the tail. I have to say though, I'm only 5'8", so maybe that's why. However, I do sail with a fairly high boom height, with the mast base placed in the middle of the mast track.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! Sounds like your Mikes Lab boards perhaps have the mast track a little furtrher forward, as in the more tradional way? (Only guessing.) One of the best custom wave boards I ever had for control, and jumping, was of that kind. One of the worse was a more modern Mistral Razor with the track too far back. (Great for hot-shots, but a bit beyond my ability to properly 'push.')

Perhaps some of us who learnt on older gear can't so easily adapt to the modern multi fin so called perfection. (Don't know if Mikes boards are.) I have a slashy custom tri-fin surf ski which is more than capable of dishing out brown wet-suit moments if I get a bit carried away, but I'll leave the multi fin windsurfing radicalism to you and the U2's of this world! Laughing
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that when I buy a board from Mike Zajicek, the details are usually limited to the type of board (slalom, wave slalom, freeride, etc.) and the volume. They're all single fins. Most all of the boards have only one footstrap position, but I have a couple that have the choice of two frontstrap positions.

I have to think that you're right about the mast track being located further forward, but they certainly don't appear so. The key to Mike's board is that they are super easy to ride. The 80 liter wave slalom that I mentioned earlier is super light yet it still is very comfortable and easy going in the roughest of conditions. Just as well mannered as my 1996 80 liter Open Ocean Tri-fin that weighs 5-6 pounds more. But the OO is old school and nothing like today's multi-fins.

Would I buy one of the new modern multi-fin boards? Not really, but that's because I'm not a dedicated wave sailor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: