myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The New Ford Van is Coming!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 1997 Chevy 2500 that I ordered from the factory. Nothing unusual, but for a cargo van, it was loaded. Never driven a Ford, but I have found the Chevy to be a great van that is both worthy and solid for the task. That said, they are a bit more complex in how they are configured in the interior cargo space. To fit an interior into the van is certainly more challenging. I did mine myself for windsurfing and camping. The only drawback is gas mileage. While the newer ones are probably better, I still think that you'd be lucky to get 20mpg.

Regarding the newer designs, I think that Ford has been smart in offering a "less tall" version. The taller vans are great, but they can't always go and park everywhere, and that might include your garage.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
I so wish they built a modern version of my VW Vanagon. It has 10' of cargo area behind the front seats, and close to 12' overlapping the front. I carry my 11' SUP inside with room to spare! The Transit in comparison looks like a bit an overkill to me ... and you would have to buy the longest wheelbase to get close to the space available on the Vanagon Shocked

My favorite car dating back to college days was the VW Westfalia. I owned 7 from around 1980 until 2007. I put roof racks on most of the pop tops, and it would take both my wife and I to lift it up at night.

This is my new San Carlos/Beach vehicle. I could sleep in the back because it's carpeted, and has custom side panels to close off if it's cold.

CAM00009b.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  481.5 KB
 Viewed:  17606 Time(s)

CAM00009b.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's your new "business" vehicle too.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ability to get things done at the beach is amazing with technology today.

PS, I sadly sold my last VW and traded it for an RV. Drove into Santa Barbara only to find that any vehicle over 14 feet would not be allowed to park in the city. The shorter or medium Ford van looks like it would fit the bill. Having the ability to park in a regular slot is important these days.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

starik333 wrote:
dvCali wrote:
New one coming to US in 2015 http://www.autoevolution.com/news/new-t6-volkswagen-transporter-coming-in-2015-57469.html

In Europe, not US.

Ops ... Sad too bad: of course here for some bizarre reasons we need 3-5 liter engines standard. There are so many more options for a light carrying vehicle in Europe. I think I will end up getting a Cube and build a carbon fiber extension in the back ... or eventually change engine on my vanagon

2013-Nissan-Cube-Wagon-1.8-S-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Wagon-Photo-6.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  154.7 KB
 Viewed:  17490 Time(s)

2013-Nissan-Cube-Wagon-1.8-S-4dr-Front-wheel-Drive-Wagon-Photo-6.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Feb issue of Motor Trend contains a one-page-each comparison of the Ford Transit, Nissan NV200 SV, Mercedes Benz Sprinter, and Ram ProMaster 2500 vans. Like everything else, each has its strong and weak points.

Mike \m/
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to love my Ford E vans until I drove the GMC Savana. Those Ford E vans have the worst ride ever. They might as well weld the axles onto the frame in those. I sure the hope new Transit doesn't have that same horrible ride. My current 2005 extended GMC 2500 Savanna is coming up on 290K and is still in great condition and runs like its new. I hoping I can get 400K out of it but if starts to look rusty and ugly I may have to kick it to the curb. It's bad for business driving around in a beater.
I wish they still sold the VW work vans that were 1 ton rated and came as a diesel. They didn't stand up to our salty winter conditions too well. It would be nice to see more turbo diesel options available in the commercial van market.
I've actually been contemplating building a full tube frame custom built body van utilizing a Suzuki Samurai four wheel drive train mated to a turbo diesel Jetta engine. I could use it for work, windsurfing, mountain biking, and off roading.
The other option I thought would be older all wheel drive Safari van and change out the thirsty 4.3L with Jetta diesel and convert to run bio diesel.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW diesel in a van.

dont know the HP rating , but to do 75MPH you may get worse MPG than you do now

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For you vehicle geeks, let's just say I happen to be living in Europe. Anything come to mind that would be worth the time and energy to dig up and eventually ship over? Old or new(ish).

Just curious.

I obviously left my Chevy 5.3 liter V8 in Hood River, and here I'm driving a 90-hp Passat TDI. Just did a 1,100 mile round trip, probably averaging about 90 mph, and spent 140 euros in gas money. The mileage makes it cheaper than America.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

~$0.18/mi is not bad considering gas in Europe is way more expensive! What do you pay for a liter of petrol out there?
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: