myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Charity in America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR--I asked the question, I don't have the answer. I stopped attending church more than 40 years ago. What I saw in the first 20 years of my life, and what I see with my brother's evangelical church, and churches in the south, is that charity goes to church members down on their luck. That is a good thing. But how evenly is charity distributed to those who may be more needy, or of a different color, that don't belong to that particular church--or like me, to any?

Of course with the new pope, we know that the money is going to the needy, not to a fancy car, fancy apartment, or new dishes! Francis rocks! Hasn't been a pope like him since John XXIII.
pueno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
I like it, the ruling class is a bunch of parasites sucking the life blood out of us tax payers.

Yes... the mechanism they use to do that has been dubbed "trickle down economics."
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pueno wrote:
nw30 wrote:
I like it, the ruling class is a bunch of parasites sucking the life blood out of us tax payers.

Yes... the mechanism they use to do that has been dubbed "trickle down economics."

You've got to be kidding!!!
Since when did basic commerce (trickle down economics) evolve into the ruling class sucking the blood out of working citizens?
Your brain is in backwards, how do you try to walk forward?
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
RR--I asked the question, I don't have the answer. I stopped attending church more than 40 years ago. What I saw in the first 20 years of my life, and what I see with my brother's evangelical church, and churches in the south, is that charity goes to church members down on their luck. That is a good thing. But how evenly is charity distributed to those who may be more needy, or of a different color, that don't belong to that particular church--or like me, to any?

Interesting comment and one I have seriously struggled with in the past from attending various churches. I came to conclude that churches are made up of different, unique, and mostly imperfect people , and every church has it's strengths and weaknesses as a result. Too often people make judgemental statements of "churches" much in the same way some would make prejudiced statements of a "race". With regards to the examples you provided, is that the cold hard facts or what you perceive it to be? I attended a church once that seemed like a cliquey country club and I felt the same way about that place, but when I dug deeper I realized that was "my" perception fueled by me feeling like an outsider. If you're looking for a "perfect" church then I can honestly tell you to quit trying as long as they are filled with imperfect people....like me.

With regards to charitable giving there is really so much that flies under the radar, and I can agree there is always way more room to give more but that is just an ugly aspect of human nature. I've sent family members on missions trips, and supported others to do the same without any tax deduction to show for it. Probably the wealthiest people I know took in a young single mother and her child....just like the movie "Blind Side" ...no tax deduction or children's aid benefit, etc. That is not nearly uncommon as one might think. I can't even tell you how many times of heard of this or that big dollar donations of property, etc. done anonymously.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently mocking some lefty, nw30 wrote:

A local newspaper op ed poster claimed the wealth gap is inherently a problem, and that its only fix is forced wealth redistribution. One response countered with this:
"This mistakenly presumes Bill Gates forces us to give him our money. In reality, Gates, like most millionaires, earns his wealth by producing products and jobs that enrich our lives, often our bank accounts. IRS data show that millionaires are less than one percent of all taxpayers but pay more than 20 percent of total federal income tax revenue.

A nation’s economy is measured by the size of the economic pie it produces, aka its GDP, not by how the pie is sliced. President Obama admitted in his 2008 ABC debate that that pie will shrink if it is taken from those who bake it, bureaucrats eat their fill, and the cold leftovers are given to those who just want free pizza."

Gates (or Jobs) never sucked any money out of me I didn't willingly offer, and both have enriched my life in many ways.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "ruling class" as in the government only.
Assuming I'm reading you correctly.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that ruling class. I was thinking of the oligarchy who influence it so heavily. Our president stated recently that he plans to devote the rest of his term to fighting the biggest threat our nation faces: income inequality. The fool thinks rich people actually take their money from my pocket and/or paycheck against my will, and that radical Islam in general, Iran in particular, his economic house of cards, socialized medicine, his total failure as a leader and manager, etc., are lesser threats.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ruling class is a group of people who are not elected and do not often change.they are very rich.
pueno

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

Your brain is in backwards, how do you try to walk forward?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's like when I noted that you have your head so far up your ass you must have a glass navel to see!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

So, how can you see to walk?

Really........ the "NW" in your alias must stand for "NitWit." "Nitwit-turdy" -- what an apt alias!

The "ruling class" includes guys like the Mittster.

You remember Mitt........ he took zillions of dollars and created jobs.

In China.

Meanwhile, his newly-unemployed Americans collected unemployment insurance from the US government -- your tax dollars at work.

See how "trickle down" worked for Mitt? He's a zillionaire, he took the money, and it trickled down into his offshore bank accounts.

And what trickled down to middle class American workers?

Unemployment checks.
mac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget his buddy Shrub, who supported tax deductions for Mitt to ship jobs overseas. Is this a great country for the rich or what?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: