myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Struck down in my prime
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitevan01 wrote:
so, moral of the story, be your own advocate. I personally believe that there is some kind of chemical pathway in the body that let's our brains now that there is something not right in different parts of the body. nothing specific, but just a general feeling that something is not right. listen to yourself!!

That's a valid reason all by itself, but I could write pages (SURPRIIIISE!) on the many instances medical providers have simply been wrong. The bad ones have refused to even consider hard evidence of their ignorance and/or mistakes, and the good ones have thanked me, wished every patient was as self-educated, and changed or justified their treatments. If I didn't make sure I knew enough about almost every medical issue I've faced to recognize BS, ignorance, incompetence, honest mistakes, and more, I'd be unnecessarily, specifically, and literally crippled, disfigured, irradiated for 35 days, chemically castrated, AND very possibly even dead from anaphylactic shock or central nervous system overdose... just for starters.

Even the good doctors don't have time to diagnose and treat us properly, partly because insurance pays them anywhere from 40% to 15% of the billed amount, and that's BEFORE Obamacare. Anyone who doesn't educate and motivate himself to carefully select and still doublecheck his medical providers is asking for trouble.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a story whitevan.
I have no Tricare eligibility, I got into the VA system under Clinton, for a few years they were letting people in my eligibility group in which they are not doing anymore, not retired, no disability, 9B I think.
I would go on obamacare to get it done but at the same time I'm terrified it could be a trick to kick me off the VA, they'll say "well your on obamacare now and not eligible for VA benefits" I've been sitting back watching this train wreck obamacare and hoping to God it can't get me but I've a had a suspicion it will.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
I would go on obamacare to get it done but at the same time I'm terrified it could be a trick to kick me off the VA, they'll say "well your on obamacare now and not eligible for VA benefits"

I would put nothing past this man, as he has already publicly stated demonstrated total disregard for and put himself above the truth, the Constitution, and the law. However, I'm sure you'll still look closely at how Ocare, the VA, and this 9B thing play together. I'm guessing TriCare will not be an option in your case, but of course "9B" or whatever could contain an exception.

I was very fortunate to have an aggressive military personnel office at the base I retired from. They made sure that every retiring servicemen was thoroughly briefed on how and why to obtain the benefits they had coming under the law. The health care and death benefits we had been promised was already crumbling, and they wanted us to retain all of them we could. Many years later, when I felt guilty about applying for medical care while soldiers by the thousands were coming home missing highly useful body parts, I discussed exactly that concern one-on-one with the Washington, DC Chief of Benefits for the entire VA. She told me very assuredly that I had every bit as much right to those benefits as any combat soldier, simply because every military member has been a vital part of every war effort*. Knowing the VA was swamped, she still insisted that I apply for any and all benefits due me.

* I didn't even mention to her that I had managed the entire DoD's absolute top priority program, an F-16 facility designated by the Pentagon as Brickbat One because if it was disabled by ANYthing even for an hour, every U.S. F-16 on the planet would be immediately grounded. We don't need to duck bullets daily to contribute to national security, and you were physically closer to front lines than I was, so don't be hesitant to pursue what's rightfully due you as a contributor to national security regardless of the despicable things some ingrates here spew. But, like you, I'm also careful and distrusting about expecting any government agency or politician to do what's right. Unless I see a specific, low-risk, BELIEVABLE reason to switch to or add Obamacare to my health care program, I will stay as far from it as possible. In short, I expect it to be far more onerous than the VA, because at least the VA, although absolutely swamped, has many caring and knowledgeable people in its ranks. I expect neither from Obamacare bureaucrats.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars:

Kindly refrain from your political diatribes.

There is a section for such rants under politics and off topic.

Thank you.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is BB's thread, he voiced his concerns about trusting the government and nobody complained, and I'm providing facts, supportable opinions, and encouragement -- all relevant -- in case it will help him fix his knee. Sorry, but it's getting impossible to separate health care from politics, and the reason is obvious. Besides, one relevant, factual sentence does not comprise a rant.

You'll live.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB,

In 2009 I broke my hip skiing at the ripe old age of 44. I was given the option of screwing it back together (which has potential issues ) and the full hip replacement. I opted for the hip replacement given I had a business to run and not walking for 9 months was not an option.

I received a ceramic hip replacement since they last the longest. I'll be honest and the first day or two after were probably the worst in my life, but that was mostly due to the combination of Morphine and iron pills. Once I was off of that everything was much better.

In five weeks I was walking with the aid of a crutch. In 7 months I was windsurfing, and stupid me decided a 4.2M day in 12 foot Lake Ontario swell was the day to do it. In 9 months I was comfortable (or stupid) enough to try doing back loops again. ( see my avatar)

My doctor told me not to play sports like volleyball again due to that the ceramic will wear out prematurely to the pounding. He said that jumping windsurfing was fine if not done in an upright manner and out over the railing of the board since the joint will articulate in a manner that would not pound the joint in the same way. I had to take my wife with me on one of my visits because she thought I was lying.

Outside of the volleyball / basketball restrictions there are little restrictions. I can not sit cross legged and during certain movements I can feel the femoral stem bind against the protection ring of the acetabular cup. Sometimes the joint will bind on itself and feel like sticking one glass inside another and twisting. Feels so gross because it echoes through my skeleton (specific to certain types of ceramic hips).

If I don't exercise or over exert myself for long periods of exercise the IT band will change the allignment ever so slightly to create a audible squeek in the hip joint. I pretty much swim every or every other day to address this problem.

It sucked at first, but the windsurfing is what made me want to get better and got me in the pool and to pilates to address my new hardware installation. Swimming was and still is by far the best way to ensure great recovery and maintain the flexibility and muscle integrity surrounding the joint.

There are many videos online of the actually procedure being performed. Watch them, if you can, it is like shop class / surgery. I swear I own 90% of the tools used in my home renovations business arsenal to perform the operation.

All said I still windsurf (seeking waves and heading to Punta San Carlos), ski (moguls too), road bike ( approx. 1000km last summer) and mountain bike ( carry it in my van most of the summer and if passing trails...well they're calling me ). Sitting is the enemy! Life goes on pretty much as it did before the hip replacement.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: