myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pipe dream? Obamacare
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 199, 200, 201  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well for starters Hawaii is an anomaly, it's not part of the continental USA, a new state, completely different economy and most of all there are only about 1.4 million people here so let's not make any analogies with it regarding the USA as a whole.
I've been here 4 years and I don't really discuss politics too much with people in person anymore but some of the other building contractors I have worked with and some of my neighbors who run small businesses have expressed conservative sentiments.
When I lived in California I was much more political with bumper stickers etc.. and all the other tradespeople I worked with were very hardcore in their conservative sentiments if they expressed them save for one individual.
It really was something, my wife has a self employed brother in the midwest and he is very conservative, it's something I have noticed.
I was not criticizing unions specifically just making a point about their political affiliations.
Unions are very much a part of the liberal left wing political movement in this country, that is a fact not an opinion.
Union are by and large associated with middle and larger corporations not small self employed people.
Sole proprietorships are overwhelmingly non union and in my experience (passes the common sense test as well) self employed people are largely conservative.
Obviously there are exceptions, there are exceptions to everything, there are even conservative people that work at union jobs, they just keep it pretty quiet because they don't want to go to the back of the job list or get their house burned down.
By and large we have to deal in generalizations to make points about things, for instance people probably think I'm a liberal because I live in Hawaii, so be it.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Well for starters Hawaii is an anomaly, it's not part of the continental USA, a new state, completely different economy and most of all there are only about 1.4 million people here so let's not make any analogies with it regarding the USA as a whole.
I've been here 4 years and I don't really discuss politics too much with people in person anymore but some of the other building contractors I have worked with and some of my neighbors who run small businesses have expressed conservative sentiments.

Wow, somebody finally said it, I totally agree with that first sentence, (I've spent enough months throughout my life there, to feel comfortable with my opinion) and as for the second one, I can totally relate.
I'm a libertarian/conservative living in an area w/ mostly liberal views, as an independent contractor, I've decided that I couldn't risk putting conservative leaning bumper stickers on my van (which has my business name on it), it's not good for business. I figure that if I did, I'd be loosing out on about 50%, if not higher, potential customers.
I live in a small coastal town, and I'm always running into people who say "I've seen your van driving around", so it's a no go.
So I keep it to sports when it comes to stickers on the van.
Some of my conservative contractor friends even feel apprehensive with putting an American flag sticker on. But I won't go that far, I had one but it weathered off, so I need to get a new one.

It's a bummer when the fingers of politics can reach so far into our daily lives.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

It's a bummer when the fingers of politics can reach so far into our daily lives.
twas ever thus
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some really neat stickers, embossed plaques, and license plate frames referring to my Air Force career or politics. No way in hell I'd risk vandalism by actually putting any of them on my vehicles, particularly in light of some of the things people here have said about our military, let alone politics.

My dedicated WSing van had zero WSing stickers on it. No point in advertising its contents, especially back when so many Gorge locals hated us to the point of violence.

We gotta hide from the crazies, because when ya need a cop in seconds, they're just minutes away.
pueno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinfoil hat wrote:

We gotta hide from the crazies...

Geez, Mikey, that's kinda schizophrenic of you.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, except for parking passes sometimes required for beach parking, I've never applied stickers of any kind to my vans or other vehicles over the years. In addition, I've never displayed political signs at my residences over the years. Political advertising can attract unwanted attention to your property, and similarly, sports type advertising can invite the interest of thieves. Driving around with $10-15K worth of windsurfing gear in your van requires reasonable caution.

beaglebuddy, my sister has lived on Kauai since 1976, and she raised her family there. She's got her own business, and is well known on the island for her custom jewelry. I have to say though, that she's a dyed in the wool liberal, and she's particularly outspoken against Monsanto's presence and seed activities on the island. You're right about many folks on the island being liberal, but a lot of that's about is protecting what makes Kauai such a special island.

Regarding the construction industry, you're right about most folks involved in that industry being conservative. From what I've seen over the years, that generally applies to the construction industry as a whole, regardless of the location. Years ago, one of my best friends in college (now deceased) went from a 60s liberal to a staunch conservative as the result of being in the construction business. Got to admit though, he really loved when Ronald Reagan was president.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will certainly have a liberal point of view common from self employed people while in the jewelry, independent book store, health food, cat sitting, massage therapist type businesses but in all other self employed small business owners I find a prevailing conservative point of view.
Let's not forget Moochelle Obama sat on the board of Walmart and the democrat party is very integrated with corporate America.
There is a definite war on the self employed, we don't have teams of lawyers to wade thru all the new red tape and new restrictions.
The IRS has been targeting the self employed.
Obamacare will be a destroyer of small businesses, that can't be argued.
More tax we don't have teams of accountants to make disappear.
Globalism, world trade.
Under Imam Obama the percentage of Americans that are working for themselves has never been lower in the history of the United States.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are so right BB. Obama wants to kill small business because it's easier to control the oligarchs and peasants when there is no vocal opposition. You never hear him talking about small business.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additionally you will find liberals self employed as energy healers, aura readers, campaign contribution bundlers, cat groomers, gay prostitutes, male hair stylists, artists, flower arrangers, environmental policy advisers, cat psychologist, etc... you get the picture Rolling Eyes
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevenbard the oligarchs and peasants are already in obama's back pocket, it's the independent thinkers and doer's he can't control.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 151, 152, 153 ... 199, 200, 201  Next
Page 152 of 201

Jump to: