myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hstwindsurfing wrote:
If/when the buoys go in, enforcement will likely follow.

Thanks Alan/Patti for participating to this discussion. I noticed that you were vocal also in the past contributing to the Seal Beach ban discussion, and of course to the Maui beach activities thread. Also Alan's comment on the petition is unequivocal, and people liked that.

May I respectfully ask where you stand in reference to what said above about Maui's WS-specific businesses? What shown on your website here http://www.hstwindsurfing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3&Itemid=3
and here http://www.hstwindsurfing.com/index.php/windsurfing/introduction-to-windsurfing may not be possible in the future "if/when the buoys go in" and "enforcement will follow". It will for sure create a bad vibe mostly for beginners and less than confident sailors...

So, as a specific knowledgeable AND chiefly interested party, could you kindly answer the following two questions:
1.) Why are the businesses most affected by this (listed above, which should have included HST) not being more vocal and public about it? Shouldn't it have merit to support the "grassroots protest" as Goya did?
2.) Is there a serious, business supported and organized behind-the-scene effort going on to prevent that the restrictions will be implemented, and enforced? And you simply prefer to keep it hush-hush (and maybe we are not helping...).

Thanks!

Last edited by TheItalianJobber on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
scottwerden

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whitesalmonmike wrote:
No Swim buoys in place as of Monday. And no wind for the last week.

There is a buoy at what I believe is the western most boundary of Zone B. It has been there for a while. I happened to be swimming laps on one of those windless days recently and ran into it.

My read of HAR256 is that technically, you could still launch in a swimming area but you would have to swim your gear out (or in). The language of the restriction is that nobody is allowed to operate a sailboard within the zone.

Until the law is amended (if it is), perhaps the compromise here is to only enforce it if/when there are swimmers in the zone. I rarely see people swimming in Zone B. Except me, on windless days. Smile
jeff_bennett64

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bipbip wrote:
2.) Is there a serious, business supported and organized behind-the-scene effort going on to prevent that the restrictions will be implemented, and enforced?

Here's what's going on with the Kanaha swim zone buoy issue.

DLNR-DOBOR plans to install the swim zone buoys according to the existing rules (HAR 13-256-130), and will not be deterred by public outcry alone. They are responsible for enforcing state laws and administrative rules. There is a process by which the rules can be changed. That process was initiated last Wednesday, December 4, when a proposal was filed with Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources-Division of Boating and Ocean Recreation (DLNR-DOBOR) by the Maui Boardsailing Association (MBA) to amend the rules to codify existing use.

The MBA Swim Zone Committee spent months researching rules, meeting with officials, meeting with groups and individuals, negotiating for support, developing a proposal and trying to build the necessary coalition. The amendment package included amended rules and a new map, supporting evidence, letters of support from dozens of individuals and organizations, plus 300 petition signatures, and comments from almost 4000 people who signed the petition online.

See photos below of the cover letter and proposal package.

The amendment process is clearly defined in HAR 13-1-26. DLNR-DOBOR has 30 days to deny the petition or initiate public rulemaking procedures. Of course we are hoping for the latter, but it is not a foregone conclusion by any stretch.

You can see the exact proposal and find more information at http://kanahawatch.wordpress.com, which will be updated as events unfold.

Now is the time for coalition building with all interested parties. In particular, if you have friends or family that fish, dive or canoe paddle at Kanaha, please seek them out and let them know that this is important to all of us. The best way to ensure a pono outcome is if all the user groups work together before any public hearings so that a unified voice is heard. Please share the proposal and support speedy amendment, and delay of installation during the amendment process.

Thanks to all of you who've expressed your support and concern, and contributed your research and analysis to the discussion here. Feel free to share on blogs, Facebook, etc.

If anyone with graphic design skills wants to volunteer to create some tasteful website badges or graphics that supporting businesses and organizations would be proud to display, let me know.

Karen Bennett

Amendment Cover letter web.jpg
 Description:
HAR 13-256-130 Amendment Petition cover letter
 Filesize:  163.43 KB
 Viewed:  20922 Time(s)

Amendment Cover letter web.jpg

Book3R.jpg
 Description:
HAR 13-256-130 Amendment Package
 Filesize:  130.42 KB
 Viewed:  20922 Time(s)

Book3R.jpg

geohaye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Karen, Patti, Jeff, and everyone involved. Let's rally to get a positive outcome at Kanaha.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeff_bennett64 wrote:
See photos below of the cover letter and proposal package.
You can see the exact proposal and find more information at http://kanahawatch.wordpress.com , which will be updated as events unfold.

This is a very commendable effort!
Thanks to the MBA and all its volunteers.
So, after a bit grass-root movements and complaints, the local community activists coordinated a serious effort. That's great.

It still bugs me that the businesses above (aside of Goya http://goyawindsurfing.com), based or using Maui's name to market WS equipment/apparel, don't think it's worth it (or cool...) to join the cause publicly.

Karen, do you think practitioners should insist to get manufacturers/retailers attention and have them support your struggle? Would it help?

Is there anything else we can do? Should we try raising funds? Do you need anything?
Thanks.
mauipete

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just received the following email in response to my inquiry to the Governor. (Two weeks ago). Not at all surprised, but the tone of the response anoys me. I also received an email yesterday (in error) from DLNR about bathrooms at the harbor on the big island (posted at the bottom) which just goes to show that they're just blowing us off.

Aloha Mr. Peter Sullivan
Thank you for writing to Governor Abercrombie regarding placement of regulatory buoys at Kanaha beach. We would like to clarify that there are already existing rules in place which delineate swim zones, and we will be installing the buoys to mark those areas and enforce these existing rules shortly after the new year. There is plenty of space outside for wind- and kite-surfing activities to continue.
We also plan to hold public meetings in future to review the rules and seek community recommendations for possible changes to the rules. Since rule changes can take some time, we intend to go forward with enforcing rules regarding activities in the current swim zones. DLNR will work with all interested parties to draft rule amendments as deemed necessary. We also expect to begin this process shortly after the new year.
Sincerely,

WILLIAM J. AILA, JR.
DLNR Chairperson

(I did not contact the Governor about issue below)

Aloha Mr. Peter Sullivan,

Thank you for writing to Governor Abercrombie regarding your concern about newly-renovated restrooms at Honokohau Small Boat Harbor. We share your interest in maintaining their cleanliness for harbor users, and we are trying to find ways to assure these objectives within the limits of our budget and personnel management.

As you are aware, DLNR is constrained by laws relating to bargaining unit contracts and facilities. Faced with limited staff and unable to hire a private contractor due to union concerns, we are continuing to try to resolve the issue of how maintenance on weekends and holidays can be done.

If you are interested you may contact the Honokohau harbor office regarding a possible Adopt-a-Harbor volunteer agreement.

Sincerely,

WILLIAM J. AILA, JR.
Chairperson
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful job with all that effort.
Don't expect much from this (or any) governor.
This will be a fight all the way, seems like we are constantly fighting for beach access. For instance rich people buying up land and trying to shut down beach access is a constant battle.
UNITE AND FIGHT!
This has to be stopped before they put up the buoy, because once it's up it will be that much harder o get it removed.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be back over there in a couple of weeks, and will spend my money at the places who have put their time and effort into this cause. It would be helpful if one of you guys could put a list together of the shops and service providers who've contributed the most time and money to this cause.

Thank you guys. Feel free to speak up. I see Goya, Cadiz...who else?
hstwindsurfing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="bipbip"]
jeff_bennett64 wrote:

It still bugs me that the businesses above (aside of Goya http://goyawindsurfing.com), based or using Maui's name to market WS equipment/apparel, don't think it's worth it (or cool...) to join the cause publicly.

Thanks bipbip for your questions. This is Patti. Please don't misinterpret our lack of post on our website to any lack of interest in the matter. Frankly my web skills are lacking and I instead, I put all my energy into the amendment process and trying to forestall implementation of the old zones. Many of the local businesses have written letters of support of the effort. We have had an army of people helping in many many important ways. Because the DLNR is not mandated to consider the economics of the issue, it is more important to highlight the safety issues and the resource degradation threats, than impacts on businesses. We are making progress.
(PS The HST web site needs a complete make-over, but I just have not had time to deal with it. Please stay tuned. That project is next!)
daKine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surely appreciate Patti's and everyone else's efforts to move this situation forward.
My plan is to make reservations for my usual fall windsurf expedition to Maui and hope for the best.
Actually, the sharks are more on my mind than this.
There is a lesson here for everyone worldwide.
I have used this situation to hopefully sensitize one of our local out of control kiters to not wreck things for everyone.
Whoever posted that we have to fight for every inch of access at increasingly private and overpopulated beaches was right on.
Do it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: