myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New board on the way!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not Andy

my 2 Ē

twin this board yes, 15.5 or 16cm for a twin set, best guess.

It will be faster as a twin, looser, may plane sooner, may not be noticeable, a lot would depend on which fins.

Its possible that you will like it more as a twin, but just as unlikely as not.I would ride it the way it comes outta the QUAD box, and have a base line feeling to establish things. Then maybe try the twin.

I suggest :
http://4boards.co.uk/Windsurf/Fins/K4_Stubby_Rear_Fins_Slot_Box

size 16cm, and if you dont have the slot box covers, get them as well.
all from 4Boards.......

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rexi wrote:
Hey hodad.andy, Thanks for the info!

I have no experience setting up a multi fin board so that is really useful. I have heard that the board is a rather slow planer so that isnīt a surprise for me. Someone told me that it could be set as a twin as well, have you any experience with that? i guess that would make it more slidey and skatey, but would it make it plane earlier due to less drag?

Right now the forecast for next friday - sunday is looking good with proper dtl conditions at this spot Smile fingers crossed..

Wow, your spot looks insane! Perfect for the DaCurve. Put your fins into a tight cluster and tear that wave to pieces!!!! Who cares about early planing with a wave that nice???

But to answer your questions regarding planing... and fin setups... Oy. Here's some of my experience:

Quad will get onto a soft plane and make the sail feel more powerful, in less wind than twins or thruster setup will. Single fins, thruster, twins, all feel more washey and less "trustable" to me, until they're on a real, hard, well powered plane.

So I actually prefer quads in less wind, because I trust them more. That applies for both lightly powered early planing, and wave riding in light wind. I feel like you can pump the board and sail more aggressively, and the cluster of fins seem to generate their own lift after you get over the planing threshold and will stay on a soft plane for longer in a lull than the less draggy fin setups will (unless you go way oversized on the center fin). For wave riding, you can generate a ton of speed with board pumping alone, regardless of sail power. I get frustrated when sailing weak waves, underpowered, with a single fin or thruster setup. Stick a quad setup in there and **presto** you're generating speed in places where you were bogging down just 5 minutes before hand.

When planing power isn't an issue because it's really windy out, and I want to lighten up the feel of the board for jumping or just getting a livelier ride, I'll go ahead and use it as a single or thruster.

I don't think that a twin will plane earlier, but it will feel lighter and less draggy than the quad setup, GIVEN ENOUGH WIND (and proper technique). Philip Koester in Pozo is the best example of this scenario- excellent technique and tons of wind.

I guess your best bet is just to experiment and see what works best for you. Report back on your initial sessions and we'll see if we can pinpoint any appropriate changes/areas for improvement (if any are needed at all).

Hope that all helps and maybe makes sense??

http://wind-nc.com
rexi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your setup info Andy. I got to sail the board yesterday and set it up just like you had recommended. Itīs just been freezing here for a week, yesterday we had had the snow turn into rain around sunrise at 11 in the morning and lots of wind for about an hour. No breaking waves due to high tide and not the best wave spot but some steep non breaking ones.

I got to sail my board for an hour totally stacked on my 4.5 so it was by no means ideal for testing the board. What i could try though was the footstrap placing and i had been a bit worried that i would not get along with the wide spacing but i really liked it. My jibes were pretty crappy to begin with but getting better and i even had a back slamming forward attempt that does not happen very often Smile I can feel that the board is very different from my evo, feels alot smaller although only 6cm shorter and about the same volume. I could also throw the board around more easily on those nonbreaking waves and looking forward to try it out in proper waves. But now itīs well below freezing again so i will have to wait a bit.

one thing i noticed is that i felt like the screws attaching the fins were a bit short and although fully tightened, the back fins were a bit wobbly. might have to look into that.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Witchcraft and the foot sprap spacing is wide on it. I rode Andys board, and the lenght is similar, something I noticed, but had no issue with it.

odd, but a good sailor who is a LOT taller than me said the same, and he seemed more bothered by it, may be a personal thing.

the screws:

they did change to longer ones, but I dont feel that would be the problem anyway.

worse case would be to add some epoxy then sand to fit.

they should not wobble once fitted. I try to leave the fins in and dont remove the screws entirely . Never been keen on this screw set up for slt boxes, but have a few, and no probs. Dont overtighten.

maybe a good reason to get some K4s, they may fit great

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
I'm experiencing the same thing right now! Mark Nelson just finished my custom board TODAY, and Matt Pritchard's going to test-sail it for me before it ships.

So... any update

spennie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, neither Mark Nelson or Matt Pritchard could get it together, between business & families, etc., and the wind on Maui not cooperating, they never got a chance to test it. I encouraged Mark to keep it until they could, but he wanted me to have my board. Matt's family lives about 45 - 60 minutes away from me, and he's coming over for the holidays starting next week, so he may get a chance at her if we get some wind while he's here.

Meanwhile I'm about 1/2 way done with my mini-documentary, which is looking pretty good, if I do say so myself. In the meantime, here's a picture of Blaze completed, in all her glory. I'm starting with an MFC Goya 211 fin, 27cm.

Blaze for Forum.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  880.29 KB
 Viewed:  11997 Time(s)

Blaze for Forum.jpg

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really like the way the
winger looks on the bottom

spennie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2: Call him up & order one! (808) 575-7667
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome Spennie. I'm looking forward to hearing an update after you've sailed it.

Thanks for ruining the wind for the rest of us this holiday season. Wink
spennie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilty as charged, sorry. :-(
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: