myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Global cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 571, 572, 573  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Very funny:

http://www.upworthy.com/this-is-probably-the-funniest-most-effective-way-to-deal-with-people-who-ignore-science-facts-ever-2?g=4

Wow that is so hateful!
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy reading your commentary Gurgle!

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/10/coldest-temperature-recorded-earth-antarctica-guinness-book

One has to wonder why the news media didn't report this earlier? BTW, is it freezing everywhere right now? I heard it's snowing in Australia. It is super cold here in Malibu. 4.0 conditions a couple of days ago and temps in the 40's.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 1953 extreme storm and biggest recorded tidal surge led to a massive coastal defences building programme Steve.

I watched it as a teen, along with a crowd on Sandgate sea-front (S. coast, near Dover, staying with relatives) from the safety of the built up bank of an ancient Martello tower. The sea front was just steeply sloping shingle with no walled defence at that time, and massive dumpers systematically destroyed the seaward side a large old Victorian house.

A piano was balanced on an upper floor and seemed to defy gravity, but eventually succumbed and slid crashing down into the surf with a final death knell jangling racket of defiance. Amazingly, the large crowd spontaneously starting a round of restrained clapping! (At the pianos brave fight I supposed.)

Odd, I suppose, but that was the spirit of the age at that time. There was an inbuilt restraint, and that was the way us teens were expected to behave. It ended with the late 50's and the rise of Mods and Rockers, and Teddy boys, and really gathered pace in the swinging 60's. (Anything goes, restraint old fashioned.)

Two weeks ago the press highlighted 'The terrible toll of the baby boomers drinking habits.' Hospital admissions in the over 45's (alcohol related liver damage) have more than doubled, and those of the over 60's more tha tripled. I don't regret being raised under the old regime. As the saying goes, 'There's no such thing as a free lunch!'
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So true GT! As they say, "perspective is everything". I'd probably be a liberal, but there are so many of them, they've overwhelmed the system. Living in California, I just have to take the other side of the argument. Laughing
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'd probably be a liberal, but there are so many of them, they've overwhelmed the system. Living in California, I just have to take the other side of the argument."

Just curious Bard, what do you mean that liberals have "overwhelmed the system"? That might give me a picture of what you're saying in your last sentence.
real-human

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
GT--no need to feel rebuked. As someone involved in setting policy on responding to global warming in California, I feel a responsibility to take serious challenges to conventional thinking seriously. I try to make sure that I understand the gist of each argument that is raised by skeptics, and evaluate the credibility of the sources and the underlying data. While something like 97% of scientists working on climate believe that the evidence of human-caused climate change is compelling, and while there is an active denier industry funded by energy companies that have no compunctions about funding liars, that doesn't mean that the remaining 3% don't have valid points. Certainly the odds are better that they are right than on any lottery!

I have chased down a lot of stories that trace back to disinformation factories, but have also gotten some interesting perspectives. I've named the more credible and persuasive skeptics on this forum.

The frantic, particularly folks like Isobars, don't even appear to understand the argument. Iso has misquoted Fred Singer, and cited Bjorn Lomborg, without understanding that he nearly completely changed his viewpoint in his second book. Lomborg is, of course, a shit stirring political scientist, fond of poking and belittling environmental causes--and sloppy in his work. See http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=skepticism-toward-the-ske\
A careful reading of Lomborg's work reveals that he understands that global warming is happening, and is largely due to human causes. In his first book on global warming he made some rather wild claims that a warmer planet would save lives, and in his second book on warming he told us he could fix the problem cheaply. See http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/aug/30/bjorn-lomborg-climate-change-profile

Political scientists and economists may be well qualified to tell us how best to respond to climate change without ruining the economy, but they are hardly scientists capable of creating peer reviewed literature on the subject. Particularly those like Lomborg who know that being controversial and confrontational, and telling conservatives what they want to believe, will help him sell his many books.

yes the Koch brothers and similar can afford to buy a lot of scientists.... what their industry is in the top 20 for making money in the world- USA with about 18 oil companies in the top 50 worldwide. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_by_revenue In one day of sales Exxon has 4 times more revenue than the largest union in the USA budget for a year in the USA.

So lets see, who has the money to really get the propaganda out?

Now the point, remember all the research the cigarette companies did and they claimed cigarettes were safe. Boy those right wing paid off scientists were so professional too. And the tobacco companies are diddly vs the oil companies.

right wingers believed them too. Stood by their propaganda like it was fact too.

Last edited by real-human on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:20 am; edited 2 times in total
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will note here that this troll did remove his post within a half hour of posting it. I will give him points for this but will not forgive his intent. It is strange I woke up for some reason and went to my computer because I could not go back to sleep. And saw his post and obviously to his dismay I was replying to it. Here was his troll post. I will delete this in a few days because he did delete his post.

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Of course!

Everybody in the world who is not from the extreme loony left is evil, corrupt, crooked, easily bought, and an utter disgrace to humanity.

Your vindictiveness is par for the course! Cheered, did we, when the evil Thatcher died.

Your claws are showing! ( Merry Christmas! Or is that a right wing conspiracy too!) ( Rolling Eyes )

wow you bring such facts to light for us. I believe you just proved how sick and pathetic the average right winger who posts on forums is. Again I made very targeted posts on the subject with support that you could not debate so you went McVeigh here.

Yes this is a troll post by definition. When you can not debate the facts you rely on your delusional side and do as a whacked out right winger does, terrorism. While trolling is not serious terrorism like mailing anthrax by any means it is a serious problem. You just can not handle the other side of a debate, you are a proven hater of of information, you have a sickness. That is why you have the KKK, types, the neo Nazi types, the skin heads, militia, weavers, the McVeighs the eric rudolfs. church shooters, doctor shooters, Indian mosque shooters in your party.

Yes it is so telling of a sick right winger in one hand to invoke the spirit of christmas on one hand while bearing false witness on the other.

Last edited by real-human on Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post has been removed!

I stand by what I said, and since I'm apparently sick, I'll remove myself.

The floor is all yours. Good bye!
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
My post has been removed!

I stand by what I said, and since I'm apparently sick, I'll remove myself.

The floor is all yours. Good bye!

Yep I see that, and I will remove mine in a few days as I added after seeing yours was gone. But since you are standing by with what you said well I will have to reconsider.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 241, 242, 243 ... 571, 572, 573  Next
Page 242 of 573

Jump to: