myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing magazine , anyone else miss it ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Windsurfing magazine , anyone else miss it ? Reply with quote

Reading over a stack of older magazines, I have been entertained by past issues, some had some great articles, esp on Hatteras

funny reading when Andy McKinney had a girl friend, wife now, with aspiring youngster

Never thought I would write this, I miss its mild reporting of the American scene.

Since the demise of New England Windsurfing Journal , there is no fix.
Windsport as always have a remarkable job.

anyone else miss it ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two issues of the season, back when Ken Winner was doing elaborate gear evaluation...those two issues were worth the price of the yearly subscription to me. LOVED those! And kept them (great to bring to swap meets.)
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really did enjoy that magazine as well and looked forward to each new issue. Glad I saved a bunch of old issues to look back through especially the travel issues. Funny to look back at the older gear as well. Remember when it was Wind Rider? Wind Tracks was another good as well.

Rob
Brian_S

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Michael, I used to keep the old ones for the equipment reviews. Still have a few boxes in my basement. Need to clean some of that stuff out though, so they don't do one of those reality shows about me.

I look anxiously (now only a few times a year) for my Windsport Mag.

Brian
www.miwindsurfing.com
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bought over two dozen boards just in the last 5-6 years based on those old reviews. Most lit my fires, and only one disappointed me.
dcharlton

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I miss it. The first issue of the season seemed to usher in a new year of windsurfing and filled me with a special anticipation looking forward to the next trip to the mail box.

I find myself reading the old ones over and over again, just something comforting about holding the magazine, the glossy pics and the whole ceremony of it all.

Breaks my heart a little...

DC
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsport is still out there!
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss it? Hell no.
I do miss the idea of a decent monthly magazine however, but the last few years of the magazine seemed like it was 90% devoted to 1% of windsurfers—those lucky few who live in big wave, high wind areas like Maui.
R.I.P.
Wind-NC.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing magazine , anyone else miss it ? Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Reading over a stack of older magazines, I have been entertained by past issues, some had some great articles, esp on Hatteras

funny reading when Andy McKinney had a girl friend, wife now, with aspiring youngster

Never thought I would write this, I miss its mild reporting of the American scene.

Since the demise of New England Windsurfing Journal , there is no fix.
Windsport as always have a remarkable job.

anyone else miss it ?

Haha! Yeah, we had a good few years here with very nice Hatteras coverage. It was a LOT of fun to put those articles together. That was aided by the board tests occurring here (it's the perfect testing grounds), having a few very talented photographers living on the island like Lane Dupont, and people like Stuart Proctor around pushing the envelope on the water and behind the desk with pen and paper. It wasn't that long ago, but it seems like the good ol' days Laughing

Not to worry, though- we have a promising new crop of high school and college kids pushing it really hard here during the summers. They are killing it on the water. They just need a bit more motivation on the media side of things and they'll be pumping out super rad, entertaining stuff for y'all. Maybe they'll get some coverage in Windsport, or maybe they'll go the self published route with blogs and videos... time will tell!!

http://wind-nc.com
jsampiero

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss it! Forewarning: following post may be overly sentimental, but hey, it's the holidays. Forgive the schmalz.

When I had that job, I always said that I was one of the luckiest people in the world, and I meant it. If anything, that's even more true now, and I was and still am incredibly appreciative of the readers, businesses, and community that allowed that job to exist.

I hope that I made the best calls I could as captain of that ship in what were fairly rough waters the last few years, but I'm not sure any different decisions by me (or the other people who worked directly on the magazine, namely our publisher) could have kept it afloat. There were a few editorial decisions I might have made differently, but in the grand scope of things, mostly minor.

One thing I don't think I've mentioned before: it sucked not to have a send-off issue. The timing of the decision to shutter the mag meant that when we published our last issue, we didn't know it would be our last issue.

I have the magazine to thank for some of the best friends that I've made of the last few years, (too many of you to name and I don't want to miss anybody!) for teaching me a lot about biz + media, taking some me some incredible places, and in reality, helping me find the place I now consider home. It took me moving to Europe this past summer to realize it, but Hood River has become home, and it's first place I really, truly miss – and where I'll land after I've done a shitload of skiing in the Alps.

Man, I was lucky.

Since a couple of you miss it, I don't mind sharing the fact that I at times consider re-introducing a windsurfing-focused media outlet. Working at another job right now, I have to ask myself if I'd trade my current gig for my old gig, and the answer is a resounding 'yes'. I've spent some time thinking about ways to make it happen.

And Andy, since you are in this thread - thanks man. The last couple years at Hatteras were simply awesomely good times, and you were a huge part of making that happen! Very much looking forward to seeing you and the wife and dog and of course the new familial addition.

Side note: it has been well over six months since I've stepped on a windsurfing board, a ten-year record, I believe. Other things have kept me entertained... but I'm looking forward to the 'OH YEAH' feeling of hopping back on when the opportunity arises.

Anyways, TL;DR - I miss the mag. It was awesome, thanks for being readers, no matter what, and I'm sorry we couldn't keep it going for you.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: