myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maui Wind
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daKine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going to Maui for over 20 years. IMO the trades have changed. Eric Beale told me that he thinks the North Shore has gone form around 300 great trade wind days a year to something like 240. My opinion is that the wind is more easterly and less strong than 20 years ago when I too used a 3.5 often. This change is reflected in the persistent upcountry droughts which occur when the trades don't bring in the moisture.
motogon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On this matter - www.newsday.com/news/nation/change-in-hawaii-s-winds-threatens-water-supply-1.5400964
carl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
I used to regularly use my 3.5 in the early 90's. I haven't been on anything smaller than a 5.0 for 5 years. Change is inevitable.

Most people get bigger as they age Embarassed

Just sayin'

Coachg

Also modern sails are designed different and are able to handle higher winds because the top of the sail twists-off in a gust.
The early 1990s more-trianglular shaped sail, didn't twist much. They were powerful, but didn't handle the gusts well.
milldo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its best not to be out there as much:
http://mauinow.com/2013/12/02/fatal-shark-attack-forces-closure-of-south-maui-shoreline/
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
coachg wrote:
stevenbard wrote:
I used to regularly use my 3.5 in the early 90's. I haven't been on anything smaller than a 5.0 for 5 years. Change is inevitable.

Most people get bigger as they age Embarassed

Just sayin'

Coachg

Also modern sails are designed different and are able to handle higher winds because the top of the sail twists-off in a gust.
The early 1990s more-trianglular shaped sail, didn't twist much. They were powerful, but didn't handle the gusts well.

And they had much less range, needed more sails in your quiver.
The boards back then had less tail flotation, and were narrower, which also made them less rangey. All that together made for getting overpowered quite a bit easier.
Not saying that it was only the equipment, but it was definitely a big part of the equation.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a week of solid 4.2-5.2 wind every day in September. My host was there the entire month and sailed almost every day. No complaints here.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2012 UH study confirms trades have decreased in preceding 37 years.

http://www.hawaii.edu/news/article.php?aId=5358
rich1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing the trip to Maui nearly every year since 1987, sometimes twice. I pretty much always go late Jan or mid/late Nov. I have (somewhat fond) memories of playing volleyball at Hookipa with some of the pros way back because there was no wind for the Aloha, and I have memories of 4.5- 5.3 head to logo every day for 2 weeks and everything in between. By the looks of the study that shredbob posted, I guess the trades are dropping, but I think that it's mostly offset by the improvements in gear as others have said. I'm still going, it's a fantastic place to sail.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
The boards back then had less tail flotation, and were narrower, which also made them less rangey. All that together made for getting overpowered quite a bit easier.

I find just the opposite in B&J sailing on rough water. Fatter tails get bouncy quicker, limiting their suitability when the wind and terrain get wild. IMO and that of many articles and people in this forum, what they give up on the low end, relatively thin and narrow tails more than make up at the upper wind and terrain ranges. It's a tradeoff I love -- as shown by my fleet of older, narrower, skinnier boards -- until the wind dies.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be thankful is you are on Maui, here on Kauai 2013 has been one big dud. Many times it has been nearly still here and I look on the Kanaha webcam for curiosity and see dozens of people sailing and kiting.
I'm seriously ready for a small sailboat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: