myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all the shops, schools, pro windsurfers, & brands should be making noise about this.

This thread is great -- keep the info coming.

It is critical to fight for every inch of access. Once our Kanaha access is reduced, it could easily be kept that way forever. Some windsurfers are apathetic about the Kanaha access threat, but this is no time for apathy.....we'll have plenty of time for apathy when we're dead. Tell your friends to take a minute to help.

iWindsurf is again requesting Facebookers worldwide to sign the petition -- and pass on to friends & shops, etc:
https://www.facebook.com/iwindsurf

The petition is only one part of the effort here, but an important part to show numbers.
http://www.change.org/petitions/state-dobor-hawaii-please-protect-ocean-access-at-kanaha-beach-change-the-outdated-rules-to-reflect-the-current-use
AndreiA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Sad... Reply with quote

I went through the entire thread, and it sounds really sad... I live in Western Canada, intermediate 'lake' windsurfer, and have been to Maui once and Oahu once as well.

I liked Hawaii very much, but will unlikely go there again for windsurfing. Mainly because of rules and regulations.

It reminds me the wall full of regulations from the Harry Potter movie. No surf shops on the beach. Weekend rental restrictions. Time restrictions. Number of windsurfers on the water. Beach closed because of sewage problem. And now this - every non-pro windsurfer prefers wide access areas - it's safer to ride and easier to get back in case of trouble.

No wonder windsurfing in North America is in decline. We simply don't have good places to practice, and the Kanaha beach restricting windsurfing access is the same story all over again.

http://www.na-windsurfing.com/Destinations/default.html
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daKine wrote:
Recently learned that the industry has hired a lobbyist and is developing a proposal for consideration by the State.

geohaye wrote:
Yes, all the shops, schools, pro windsurfers, & brands should be making noise about this.

I agree and would like to see a tangible effort from the industry players (especially the ones based on Maui or capitalizing on the island image). I.e., and at the very minimum, putting a banner on their homepage inviting their worldwide visitors looking for rentals/gear to go sign the petition.

We can buy/rent all the gear that we want, but it's no fun if we can't use it where we used it for (at least) 25 years.

I hate dropping names, but I checked the sites of some local businesses and there's no sign of this issue; check for yourself:
www.kanahakai.com
www.mauisails.com
www.sailboardsmaui.com
www.mauiwindsurfcompany.com
www.neilprydemaui.com
www.ezzy.com

I realize that "it's not cool", but users perception has changed (in case nobody noticed these are not the 80's/90's anymore). Some of the owners of the above businesses signed the petition, or may have it on facebook, but while that's great for us users, the one benefiting (and conversely being hurt more) ought to do better than that, IMHO.

Last edited by TheItalianJobber on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
SPQR

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bip - you are wrong about Goya. Their web has a revolving headline, Beach Access issue at Kanaha is one of them.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...sorry about that!
And my bad (even if hard to catch on a quick glance); edited.

And: WAY TO GO GOYA! www.goyawindsurfing.com
Let's see how many other names we can take off that list...

Way to go Goya.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  220.36 KB
 Viewed:  14537 Time(s)

Way to go Goya.jpg

daKine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posterd recently on Kiteforum

"The latest...

Thank you for your concern, I apologize for not responding sooner and yes, I have been inundated with numerous phone calls and emails regarding the use of Kanaha. We are open to an amendment to the rule, but until such time we will enforce HAR 13-256-130. With the amount of time I have spent on this issue, I do understand how important this place is to all Kanaha beach users and I am confident that we will find a solution.

Stacy C.K. Masuda"

Stacy is in charge of Parks and Rec for Maui County.
Maui County won't flout State law over this.
Anybody on the scene gotten busted for launching at Lowers?
wmike

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Swim buoys in place as of Monday. And no wind for the last week.
noel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that mediation is possible. What surprises me in this case is that Kanaha is known WORLDWIDE for water sports, not for its "world class" beach/ swimming.

There are plenty of beaches around the island where water sports are not as favorable and beach goers have full access... We are seeing a reaction to an isolated case and this reaction does not account for other local factors/ driving forces. This rule established many years ago when very few water sports existed.... Fast forward to 2013, and 7 billion people on the planet... times have changed the rules should reflect that... Who are the majority users at Kanaha? beach goers or wind/ surf/ paddle/ kite?

Prevailing logic should apply... The more noise we all make on this issue, the better! Majority ought to win in this case... Why not push in the other direction and request MORE beach access for OUR water sports? Where do I sign for that?
daKine

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Prevailing logic should apply..."

noel, I would guess that you don't quite grasp the intricacies of the political process in Maui County.

And it couldn't even be remotely possible that the long term plan is to rid the North Shore of all those low rent surfer types and plug in a bunch of five star hotels and estates that people don't live in but do pay a lot of taxes on.

Nah, that couldn't happen...but it just did to Sprecks!

Aside...... (Godamn, shit, I sailed Sprecks for twenty years just to get away from Kanaha and now I'm concerned I'll lose Kanaha)
hstwindsurfing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daKine wrote:
Posterd recently on Kiteforum

Stacy is in charge of Parks and Rec for Maui County.
Maui County won't flout State law over this.
Anybody on the scene gotten busted for launching at Lowers?

Stacy Masuda is actually a state employee. She is acting District Manager for Maui, of DLNR-DOBOR.
I don't think anyone has been stopped from launching at lowers yet. They don't seem to be enforcing the signage yet. If/when the buoys go in, enforcement will likely follow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14

Jump to: