myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SATURDAY, 11/16/13 Who got some?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhanson928

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: supposed to go off again tomorrow... Reply with quote

Who's going to be brave and get some? The forecast is even for over 50f temps at Roosie...and over 50mph gusts.....so, does that fill the "Rule of 100"? I bet the water is really cold, but hey...after Thanksgiving Gorge sailing? Y not?
johnl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GuyT wrote:
I missed Saturday, but got a great 4.7 day Sunday, Far Far East (Champlain Lake, 2,950 miles east of HR).

Guess it was my last one of the year, it's kinda of getting cold. Water+Air temperature is now below 90 degrees, my personal limit.

For you, cold water lovers, here's a suggestion for your feet: ION Plasma Boots 6-5, available at Gorge Surf Shop. I just got a pair, there incredibly warm AND comfortable. In fact, they are so comfortable, I wear them as slippers in my house. Wink

Looking forward to see you all next June. Will be with my new Wind Mobile!

Copy cat Smile If you keep the sails inside you will love the convenience. But if you mount them on the roof, that will be a pain Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhanson928 wrote:
I bet the water is really cold?

Still barefootable, especially with the air temp in the 60s. But, as expected with these frontal blasts, very brief; ya gotta rig a couple of sails in advance and catch the blast as it rushes past. Winter sailing out east is often like casting grappling hooks at passing trucks on the freeway.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there were 6 at Roosevelt, one fellow actually out sailing when we arrived in ones and twos...the wind was going away. Then the Tri Cities guys got on their phones and checked with pals further east, saying they'd actually seen sailing wind as they came past. Turns out it was windy at Alder Creek. We drove the 14 miles further east and everyone but me rigged up.. I watched a couple of hardy souls swim their rigs out of the wind shadow and sail away on 4 and 5 meter sails...I just couldn't find the psych to shed my Ugg boots and down parka and put on all that rubber and begin my session with a swim to the wind on such a cloudy cold and short day..
Wimp that I am..I got back into my warm van and by the time I passed Dougs on the way home, it was dark and pouring again..
So much for December frontal wind sailing...
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Rufus? Reply with quote

Looked like Rufus was the spot. Somebody had to have been there today! Spill!
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhanson928 wrote:
So much for December frontal wind sailing...

MANY of this year's blasts, even in midsummer, were similar. You could often watch brief wind spikes move past Swell, Doug's. Maryhill, Roosevelt, 3-Mile, PK, etc. as the front swept through. Chasing them east is a losing proposition unless one drives past the blast, gets ahead of it, stop, rigs, waits for it, and hopes it makes it that far east.

That's not uncommon when there's no big fat thermal gradient supporting the wind and/or no desert heat to boost vertical mixing. Ya gotta see those things coming, beat 'em there, and rig in advance if ya want to catch the best chunks of wind. The downside of that is the very abrupt backside of these pulses; the windspeeds often drop like stones ... not especially compatible with the sinkers we use in their brief 35 mph table tops, let alone the ones with sharp peaks. Those are the days I REALLY appreciate being rigged big: I FAR prefer a 6.2 @ 30 mph average to a 3.7 at 22.

Of course, the RIGHT solution, many would say, is to just take whatever comes and deal with it. Ya certainly become a better sailor that way.

But ya gotta ask yourself this: is getting a tiny bit better worth THAT much hassle, angst, and frostbite?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: