myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best cold weather gloves / mitts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
norcom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried any dry suit gloves? Something like this ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-PVC-DRY-SUIT-GLOVE-REMOVABLE-POLY-LINER-LARGE-NEW-/400416746735?&autorefresh=true

Seems like it could be the ticket. It would still be bulky but I don't think it would be any worse than thick neoprene and maybe even easier.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't fit me for sure. Even with dish gloves and thin polypro gloves under for warmth, I get the slipping feeling I dislike. The innerglove moves inside. Plus these look way too thick !

Mitts like the Dakine Titanium don't have thick or even thin neoprene inside. They have very thin non-strech grippy fabric inside that allow the mitt to be somewhat waterproof.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gloves are not the way to go when it's cold for me. I've tried several and hate them all even the dishwashing gloves to keep the wind off. Have not tried the open palm mitts because you never know what might happen. I would not want to swim with them in 40 degree water, 50 maybe ok.

Using Dakine mitts, thin palm, no complaints, way better than any glove. No cramping of the forearms, or fatigue. Easy to get used to.

My limits are sunny, air near 50, water above 40. No ice thank you!
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky wrote:
No ice thank you!

Smile

Mascoma I was sailing last Saturday is all frozen over today. While having a walk, I saw a big party of Canada geese coming to the lake. They realized that there were now open water, discussed that with a lot of nose (they sounded disappointed Laughing ), flew a big arc and left.

Andrei.
feuser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I've lost my Mystic dry Gloves somewhere....

Now, I'm shopping for another pair, but all I can see on the Mystic site are the 2mm and 3mm Kiting gloves (without pre-bent fingers) and the 5mm mittens.

Before I search and buy on ePay.com, what IS the latest consensus on the Mystics?

I do seem to remember that the Mystic palms were a little bit on the slippery side, which def took away points in the forearm-fatigue category. I do want to be able to function (i.e. make adjustments to my harness, lines, disconnect the rig, swim, etc) without taking the gloves off and for that reason really dislike mitts.

Sprinting after my gear in the surf with waterlogged DaKine mittens was never that much fun in my recollection....

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try these

http://www.zorotools.com/g/00036611/k-G2385975?utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Google_Shopping_Feed&kw={keyword}&gclid=CPa_kfqdm7sCFcdgfgod9ysAYw
feuser

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bard -

Not gonna work in 29 degrees F..... I need 3mm smooth skin neo and fleece lining or I'll lose fingers.

F

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
outhaul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
I'm very prone to freezing fingertips, just placed an order for some NRS "toaster mitts" I'll report back on how they work.

These mitts are hands down (pun intended) the best I've tried, much warmer than the Dakine mitts. As I said I'm very cursed with freezing fingers and they
Kept me warm today in ice cold Lake Michigan after one of the coldest winters in decades. I believe they cost a bit less too, very impressed.
ben.eliyahu.tom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the nrs toaster mits are warm but kill my forearms squeezing far too tight, trimmed the cuff and even then... the dakine mits, trimmed down to the strap with the stitching on the palm sealed work quite well in anything 3-5 degrees and over for me. merino wool liners do a spectacular job of adding warth without bulk. above 8-9 degrees i just go bare hands and suck it up, the less time i spend in gloves the happier i am! t
asiat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on a stand up forum:

http://furnacelab.com/

Thread:

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,23655.0.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: