myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when you couldn't give away north shore real estate. Recessions in the 80's/90's etcetera. Windsurfing rebuilt Maui in the late 80's through the 90's. Sprecklesville, Kuau and the upcountry were the best places to buy.

Why are they not thanking our community? Embracing us? Kiting, paddling and windsurfing are still breathing life into the island. At the economic margins, we are still a great force for good. Could this be government arrogance? You would think Condo owners, hoteliers, car rental agencies, and a host of others would be our partners in this. Perhaps the Chamber of Commerce would have something to say.
daKine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently learned that the industry has hired a lobbyist and is developing a proposal for consideration by the State. I'm pretty hopeful things will work out at Kanaha with access for all. Meanwhile, we should all play nice and not stir the pot. Surprised
winfreak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Misunderstanding? Reply with quote

Hey, I took a hard look at the sign, the rules, and compared with Google Earth and my own recollections from my many years of visits there.
It is obvious the sign is not to scale and over-emphasizes the closed areas. I've always launched between A and B and did shlog into the kitemare between B and C once after a great session at lowers. Zone A is well east of the easternmost parking area and NOT in front of it or slightly west of it. The learning area remains where it always has been. If I'm interpreting things correctly, I see very little impact. Please someone else take a look at this as well. Maybe our "panic" is unfounded. Embarassed Very Happy
fxop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bipbip posted the official scale map on page 7 of this thread.

Zone A closes the teaching area which could escape notice of experienced sailors since it is fairly far upwind. They teach in the lee of the groin in the middle of Zone A. Instructors can't teach before 9am and as you know on many days Maui is already 20+ kts at 9am. So that little lee area is important to the growth of the sport.

Zone B closes the central launch and the downwind shoreline for several hundred feet.

I did a scale drawing for Zone B to measure the shoreline leg and I got 900 ft, which amounts to about a 600 foot extension to the existing buoy line for the existing swim zone.

If you are happy launching from the eastern access and you never have to do the walk of shame and you don't mind doubling the number of sailors at the eastern access and you don't mind rigging far away because you couldn't get parking at the eastern lot then no problem.

But for beginners, intermediates, and anybody who sails on a flukey day because the surf is good, Kanaha's ease of use will be drastically altered.

The lesson of history is you have to fight hard to preserve every foot of existing access because you never know what's coming at you next. Who saw this mess coming?

Hope daKine is right about behind the scenes efforts . . .
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fxop wrote:
The lesson of history is you have to fight hard to preserve every foot of existing access because you never know what's coming at you next.

That's probably the most insightful comment yet.
winfreak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Another look Reply with quote

OK, so I looked again at exhibit "AAA" which is certainly not to scale with reality. Assuming it is correct at the west end, then zone B encompasses the new lifeguard tower nicely and blocks the outrigger launch. Anyone talk to those folks? So if zone B is now there, that frees up the current swim area that extends west from the east point. To resolve this, we need to see the actual description as set out in the rules for zone B (and A). Can anyone post that, please? It is important that we understand exactly what the change will be in order to effectively mitigate the ultimate result. I would also hope that the authorities understand their own rules! If zone A actually ends up surrounding the east point, then we really are in trouble!
fxop

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those just coming up to speed, rich1 posted the official document on page 7 of this thread. The metes and bounds are on page 256-126 of the doc or page 179 of the downloaded pdf. For reference here it is again:

http://www.state.hi.us/dlnr/dbor/rules/compiled/HAR256-Compiled.pdf

On page 6 of this thread bipbip posted a good overlay of the new zones onto a Google earth map, with an arrow to the beginners/teaching area.

The scale on the map Ex. AAA may be inconsistent overall but the placement of the swim zones relative to the groins, which is how the zones are defined, looks good. If you use bipbip's map as a guide and zoom in with Google you will see that the canoe hale is west of Zone B.
winfreak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Clear as mud Reply with quote

Thanks fxop!
I have analized it all again! My confusion was related to the change in shoreline over time, which is not well reflected in the posted signs. The rule language confused things more by assuming Maui is south of the equator and using true south as a reference. Also, the language is extremely inconsistent in terms of where the actual park boundary on the east lies. It seems logical to assume they do mean to grant 475 feet worth of access between zones A and B, but with swim zones extending out 300 feet from shore on both sides... If they actually intend to mark this off with lines and buoys, then this would be of a scale that should require an environmental impact study before implementation. 300 feet from shore for thousands of feet overall , pretty absurd! Of course we do (uh, should) get Baldwin Beach back (it was "closed" when Kanaha was chosen for windsurfers and that is why the zones became un-enforced) but the sanctuary designation means you can not cross the offshore reef. So I looked at the rules for Baldwin and they do state closure for 6000 feet west of Fly Water point and 500 feet offshore. No joy or leverage there! Truly a giant mess and we should continue to speak up!
daKine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Clear as mud Reply with quote

winfreak wrote:
Truly a giant mess and we should continue to speak up!

Roger that!

This has to be fixed at the state level.
That will take time.
If the County doesn't follow State law they hold the liability and the Maui County Council lawyers won't like that.

I'm holding my breath and facing the exact same issue at my home beach because of a local kitesurfer that doesn't respect buoyed swim zones at a State park.

I used to park right on the beach at Kanaha in front of the campground and launch there in what is now kiteland.
Renting a campsite there and launching out your back door might work OK if these rules stick. Don't tell anybody..... Rolling Eyes
summertime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point of argument that walking any distance down the beach at lowers to enter the water won't work: the beach isn't wide enough to accomadate windsurfers with their gear walking both directions. There is only enough space for one way traffic of windsurfers walking down the beach carrying a sail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: