myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which type of sail?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Which type of sail? Reply with quote

I am looking for a new sail to use for more maneuver oriented windsurfing in higher winds (by lake-sailor standards). I would like to try some freestyle in low and high winds. Initially it would be used with my JP xcite-ride 145 and appropriate fin but I am thinking about getting a new smaller free move/freestyle board. I am planning to get a sail around 6.0 to 6.5M which would be my smallest modern sail. I have Ezzy lion 7.5 and 9.5 and an old 4.5M Gaastra slalom sail (no longer used). I weigh around 175lbs and am sailing on a smallish lake with gusty conditions. Sail would need to be suitable for freeriding as well. Thanks.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wind are you looking to get planing in? You can go with anything but for light wind the gaastra pure has plenty of power. I'd use a 5.4 from 14-17knots on a 107 freestyle board and be fully planing. I try an do a little more wave sailing now, so I switched to the ezzy elite, but for you maybe a 5.7 pure would be good. I'm about 200lbs btw.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a KA Kult? It's KA's crossover sail. One of the locals uses his for freeriding, Bump and Jump, and waves and seems to do pretty darn good with it!

-Kevin

alaravan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what's the best sail for you, however, I recommend the TABOU 3S board. It's a very good balanced board betwen the freestyle,freewave and freeride styles of windsurfing. I had the 97l 2009 model, and I enjoyed it very much.
I used the severne gator 6,5m2 2010 with this board, and after that, the severne S1 5,9m2 This sails are complety diferent. The first one to use the board as a freeride board (with 3 o 4 straps), and the second one, to use the board as a freewave board

Bye!!
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlemmens wrote:
What wind are you looking to get planing in?

That's more critical than the brand or style of sail. Riemmens is nearly twice as efficient as I, Rangerider; where do you fit on that scale?

Mike \m/
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I rarely have opportunity to sail with other sailors and I don't have a wind gauge. To get planing probably 18+ with this sail (I have never used anything smaller than 6.6 with a short board though so I could be off). Pumping to plane on my ultrasonic this summer taught me a lot about technique and planing threshold.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alaravan wrote:
I'm not sure what's the best sail for you, however, I recommend the TABOU 3S board.

+1
d0uglass

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bazillion sail brands that would probably work great, but I'll give some advice on sails styles and sizes based on what you have now.

Size: You'll want this sail to overlap a little with the 7.5, but not too much. I think 6.5 would be too close, but 6.0 or 6.2 would be good. Smaller than 6.0 would be less practical

Cut: You'll want the cut (outline shape) of the sail to be like a wave or freestyle sail, with a "high foot" that's pretty much a straight line from the clew to the mast base. It will make it harder to "close the gap" when you're blasting, but it will give the sail a more maneuverable feel and will help with transitions and jumps and stuff.

Battens: Just one batten below the boom. 5 battens is typical for a wavesail, but you can find 6 batten wavesail / freeride sail combos like the Aerotech Phantom that would also be good for what you're looking for.

Mast: Skinny mast for sure.

Good luck!

isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Doug said. A 6.0/6.2 will take you to 25 kts average wind if necessary on a smaller board than your 145, so you'll have plenty of range as your skills advance. Yet a 6.2 camless like Doug describes will still maneuver far better than a 7.5.

A light-wind (i.e., non-planing) alternative would be using that 145 as a platform for light-air freestyle sail-handling practice with a cheap used 4-something sail. You don't need a hundred-dollar sail for that.

And don't feel any need to apologize for being lake-bound. Wind is wind; the difference is in the height of the water's surface. I've seen heartland lakes blow in the 90s, and that's mph, not degrees Fahrenheit, kph, or furlongs per fortnight.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first thing to sort out is IF your are indeed getting a smaller board, than everything changes..

unless you want to just play on the current JP , if you want a sail to go out on and do sail flips, and basically practice things, then IMO you want something that you can manage, that would not be something big.

suggestions about planing and this & that, apply if you are adding to your existing sail quiver but smaller size for more wind, different than my above then.

5.5 5.8 to play on the JP ( sail :a light lively maneuver oriented unit, not necessarily a freestyle one, but close)

could also be used on a smaller board.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: