myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Harness line length, is 22 in. too short?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main boom, 160-204, get's 22" non adjustable lines, and it's used about 50% of my sailing, around 150 days a year.
My longer and shorter booms, 3 total, get adjustable length lines for slogging on the bad days.
yargerd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really see it as an argument, and I don't really think that this entire thread is directed at Iso. I find the mechanics of windsurfing to be interesting, worthy of discussion. I like long lines because of how well it works with the mechanics of what I like to ride. My desired windsurf experience is a loose and floaty modern setup in swell. I do not like the overpowered direct feeling with a sharp-railed pintail thing with a large fin and cambered sail. Preference.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yargerd wrote:
I do not like the overpowered direct feeling with a sharp-railed pintail thing with a large fin and cambered sail. Preference.

How about a short wave fin, soft rails, and an RAF? Many of us don't own own a cam, a sharp rail, or a large fin.

I love that direct, highly powered feel of a fast wave board being goaded into top speed and as many directions as I can make it go ... but I also love it when the wind backs off, everyone else goes ashore to rig bigger, and I have the place to myself -- still planing and maneuvering at most people's normal power level -- while they slog ashore, eat, rest, re-rig, slog across the wind shadow again. I don't need no steenkin' long lines in that scenario, at least not until a bigger lull bites me, too. If it does, and if I saw it coming in time to get my butt upwind, I'll just sit or lie on my board, raise the sail, and run before the wind feet first and unhooked ... line length be damned.

I agree it's not an argument; it's simply a comparison of styles, objectives, opinions, and choices, which should let readers make informed choices on what technique they prefer to skin the cat.
yargerd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

How about a short wave fin, soft rails, and an RAF? Many of us don't own own a cam, a sharp rail, or a large fin.

Every sail has camber regardless of whether it has a camber inducer. Some like to call sails with a lot of camber, cambered sails. They are not maneuverable like wave sails. I don't think this phrase is as specific as a "camber induced sail".

A lot of the new sails that have a lot of camber do not have camber inducers. One constraint is the stress in the batten near the mast (lot of camber goin on), which has been dealt with to a degree by newer materials. In these cases you have a sail with a lot of camber (cambered sail) that is also a RAF. Shocked
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yargerd wrote:
Some like to call sails with a lot of camber, cambered sails. They are not maneuverable like wave sails.

That's part of the reasons why I like flatter sails.
bwill808

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what happened when I sailed the gorge with long lines overpowered, boom breaks instead of going over the handle bars

IMAG0857.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.85 MB
 Viewed:  15524 Time(s)

IMAG0857.jpg

westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that your harness lines were too close together for the Gorge and the length is not the problem.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Could it be?" The photo says "Certainly."
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, been using mono lines for over 3 years now (and still love them). I don't think they can get much closer than that.....
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if your boom broke right at your monoline, would you blame the break on the point loading or on your 10-foot line length?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: