myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
slambo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just submitted a letter to Lt Governor Shan Tsutsui- he is from Maui. I spoke w one of the investigating officers from DLNR from this summers kiting fiasco and he told me that they were going to strictly enforce the Ka'a point area with buoys but he did not think that they were placing buoys at both A & B. Not sure how accurate he is about this but he was not a fan of kiters repeatly said the kiters have been the problem.

I think the DAs office oversees the DNLR- I gonna call a Maui judge I know and see if he knows the DA and would he make a call on our behalf- no promises. What ever happen to the meeting with the mayor a month or so ago?
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madmax7 wrote:

Can someone give me a general idea of how much zone A encumbers the launch area?

I park at the most east parking in Kanaha and launch just W of the designated " windsurf beginner / teaching area"
Max

I launch from there also, and in general I don't think it will be a specific issue on a generic day for an experienced sailor.

But -i.e.- my 9 years old daughter learned beach starting this Spring at that corner of area A that is just West from the wave-shading "pier". It was the only flat water patch with 20+ knots of wind in late April, and she was on a 1.5MQ sail at 9:30 in the AM (schools have permission to hit the water early).

All the beginners/intermediate practitioners will now be evicted and relocated right in "our" launch... that's the domino-effect.

And as somebody mentioned, swimming in with a breakage, or slugging in dropped wind would very likely bring you right in front of area B (at which point I would almost prefer the buoys, at least I'd know/remember I'm not supposed to sail through).

At the very best it's bad vibes...
Some more enforcement, or the presence of lifeguards until all this dust settles would be embraced by most I believe. Most of us are past the point were they want (or worse "like") to argue for having fun.
Looks like we have substituted "localism" with "particularism".
victor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanaha sign

kanaha_swim_zone_150.jpg
 Description:
Kanaha sign
 Filesize:  104.06 KB
 Viewed:  13372 Time(s)

kanaha_swim_zone_150.jpg

SAS

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on Maui and I agree the maps are a bit hard to decipher. However, here's what I see:

1) zone A: eliminates access to the eastern most beach, known locally as "kook beach." This is an important spot for beginners, with light wind and shelter. Restricting access there has 2 problems: a) the beginners have to learn in more difficult areas; b) the beginners will clog up the rest of the area more, since they tend to drift to the west (downwind) and then walk in shallow water with their gear back upwind

2) zone B: we'll lose the area most people launch from, and will have to carry our gear to areas to launch. We'll also lose areas we come in at if the wind dies or we have an equipment issue.

3) zone C: won't be much of a problem for windsurfers. May affect kiters, but I'm not the best to comment on that.

Does all of this destroy windsurfing at Kahaha? NO
Does it create problems for windsurfing at Kanaha? YES
Could swim zones be designed better to allow good access for both swimmers and windsurfer/kiters? YES
summertime

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked a lifeguard to point out the areas proposed for closing off to us a few days ago. Lowers access will be so far down the beach from the parking lot and the entrance area very small !! - as stated by others. It would make entering the water much much harder- one would have to carry gear first to shore and then down the windy shoreline a long way(about 100 yds.-did not measure). walking your gear back to the parking area would be a very long difficult ordeal going against the wind. Some people would likely choose to park at uppers for easier access to the water. That proposes a problem for beginners and intermediates who want to go down toward lowers due to smaller waves and larger area inside the reef to sail because getting down there can potentially land a person in wierd wave which sucks you in and is very difficult to get out of. The other danger is getting injured on the large sharp rocks jetting out between uppers and lowers. Getting back upwind to uppers where you would have parked your car is very difficult in the best of conditions and likely impossible for a beginner. Agree with other comments regarding the uppers beginner area that would be lost. Kanaha would end up being a place for advanced intermediates and advanced only. Maui would cease to be a destination holiday for many many people. Couple that with the drastic increased shark attacks and the recent death by a shark attack and Maui will certainly lose it's appeal to many people. (sent from iphone)
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the biggest problem will be parking. Everyone will concentrate their cars at the new designated launch areas. This will also make it difficult for seniors and mildly disabled sailors to get on the water.

A better rule would be to require sailors within 100 feet of swimmers to drop to 5 mph. They do that at places in southern Cal.
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

summertime wrote:
I asked a lifeguard to point out the areas proposed for closing off to us a few days ago. Lowers access will be so far down the beach from the parking lot and the entrance area very small !! - as stated by others. It would make entering the water much much harder- one would have to carry gear first to shore and then down the windy shoreline a long way(about 100 yds.-did not measure). walking your gear back to the parking area would be a very long difficult ordeal going against the wind. Some people would likely choose to park at uppers for easier access to the water. That proposes a problem for beginners and intermediates who want to go down toward lowers due to smaller waves and larger area inside the reef to sail because getting down there can potentially land a person in wierd wave which sucks you in and is very difficult to get out of. The other danger is getting injured on the large sharp rocks jetting out between uppers and lowers. Getting back upwind to uppers where you would have parked your car is very difficult in the best of conditions and likely impossible for a beginner. Agree with other comments regarding the uppers beginner area that would be lost. Kanaha would end up being a place for advanced intermediates and advanced only. Maui would cease to be a destination holiday for many many people. Couple that with the drastic increased shark attacks and the recent death by a shark attack and Maui will certainly lose it's appeal to many people. (sent from iphone)

What a disaster for sailing at Kanaha. Twenty five years of idyllic sailing at this peaceful site destroyed by a handful of kiters with a bad attitude.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some people whine when I admit that I have some secret camping and launch spots hoarded. It just makes good sense.
daKine

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure hope this situation gets resolved.........
My sense of humor about kites which had been pretty good is fading fast.

Remington.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  233.62 KB
 Viewed:  12836 Time(s)

Remington.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daKine wrote:
I sure hope this situation gets resolved.........
My sense of humor about kites which had been pretty good is fading fast.

Now, if I had posted that, people would be demanding my execution. And people claim it's not personal?

BTW, I didn't notice the "Kite Load" logo at first. Nice touch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: