myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Frozen stuck Vent Plug
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windswell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Frozen stuck Vent Plug Reply with quote

I just bought a 2003 JP freewave 85. It seems a little heavy , but has no obvious repairs, lots of scratches and scuffs. I decided to change the vent Oring, and found the phillips head so dinged, and screw so frozen that it won't turn, and further strips the philips head after trying many different screw drivers. I've also put 3 drops of liquid wrench on the screw to free it up.

My next thought is to very carefully drill so holes in the the vent screw head, turning it from phillips into a slot head. Then put a big slot head screwdriver on it, and remove it from board.

Any other suggestions , and thought about whether more liquid wrench will help - or hurt the inside of the board??
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have an impact driver, then do it manually. Find the best screwdriver that fits into the head, then as you apply strong down pressure while turning it, tap the end of the handle with a hammer at the same time.

If the female threads are messed up after you get it out, don't use that plug hole anymore. Once you're happy with the dryness of the interior of the board, fill up the hole with epoxy.
Then get a new retrofit vent plug, they are everywhere, drill a new hole in the deck, and epoxy the new one in, it's way easy.
windswell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phillips head is LONG past any "best screwdriver that fits". I tried a square driver and it wouldn't budge with medium torque, and I didn't want to further round the inside of the plug. Gonna play with drilling out a slot now.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try an easy-out bolt extractor. I've always been very impressed with how well they work. If even that fails, I'd drill a short hole into the plug to give the EZ out a better bite. The best type I've seen is this $34 short-nosed version from Sears and others:
http://tinyurl.com/lxfokaa
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had better luck with left handed drill bits as opposed to an easy out.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn.
I'm right handed.
Smile
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you drill.... start small....and when drilling through steel (i assume vent plugs are steel) low rpm is your drill bits friend
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good reason to try a left handed drill bit if you need to drill: to avoid over-tightening the plug and damaging something. If it also removes the plug, that's a bonus ... even if it wasn't the objective.

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-piece-left-hand-drill-bit-set-95146.html
Brian_S

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had much luck with easy-outs, but I'm surprised that your vent plug is in that tight. There must be something funny going on there. The vent plug insert on any JP board that I've seen is plastic, so there should be no galvanic corrosion locking the plug to the screw (like there could be with carbon-fiber). The screw could be corroded, of course, but still it shouldn't be that hard to remove. Any chance the previous owner epoxied the screw in?
I would suggest you try a drop of liquid wrench or PB Blaster, and tap the top of the screw with something metallic to 'ring' the part. Come back later and repeat. Come back later and repeat. Even let it sit for a day or two repeating. You probably don't want to soak it with oil, but the occasional tapping the screw, and a drop or two of penetrating oil, will help the oil work it's way into any corrosion with capillary action. I don't think a small amount oil (few drops) will hurt anything even if it gets into the board.
If the philips slots are totally destroyed, use a dremel and cut a clean slot for a big flat head. (BTW, the best philips screw driver ever was the screwdriver that came with the old F2 boards - hands down.)

If you still can't remove the screw, then it's likely epoxied in.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

might suggest a impact driver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impact_driver

a manual one, that you hit with a hammer.

the Liquid wrench over a few days, try more of.

heat from a gun, or hair dryer being ever so careful to not apply to much The make a slot with a dremel would be a good decision, if it worked. a slot would be good, any type cut that allows something like a chisel to dig in and hammer sideways making the screw turn, I would try all those before drilling

myself I would stay away from drilling

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: