myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiters strike again. Kanaha access likely lost?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkrug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sure hope this decision is reversed, and it's sounds like just another over reaction to an isolated incident. of course, many minor incidents can build up over time, and perhaps this latest incident was just the straw that broke the camels back. i just wonder though how those making such decisions would feel if, for example, driving was banned because there have too many accidents by jerks on the road lately. there is absolutely no difference between the two things, except one would affect the decision makers directly. as for the title of this post, let's face it, a-holes can be kiters, windsurfers, surfers, SUPers, beach-goers, etc., the implied notion that this is typical of kiter behavior is as idiotic as the decision resulting from it.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with you Krug on your driving analogy.
It would be more like saying if motorcycles were causing to many problems on the road let's ban cars as well as motorcycles on the roads.

Back to the fact that every time kiter's fuck it up. Windsurfers get grouped into it and loose access. It has happened more than once here on Cape Cod. (Hardings Beach, First Encounter Beach....)
The funny thing is I like kiting but I don't like kiters.
I don't kite in public anymore.
I only kite beyond the environment.
There's nothing out there

whitevan01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where did you find that video? that was amazing. "beyond the environment, there's nothing out there, only sea and birds and fish and 20,000 gallons of crude oil and a fire...."
outcast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there never was a problem until someone invented Jumpy-Castles

Sure, some poor dude diving for tako would get occasionally mowed by a windsurfer, but once those jumpy castles moved in.... it was over.....!!!!!

it's so over

shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's jumpy castle pro could be the next PWA champion...they can be turned.
jkrug

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jerry, i know you like some kiters. and I know i don't like some kiters. but to say it's always the kiters that screw things up is painting with a very broad brush. of course, given that there are probably 10 times more kiters on the planet than windsurfers, the law of averages is on your side of the argument. regardless, i hope access remains intact for those lucky bastards in HI.
IBaKiteboarder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'm making my first trip ever to Maui next week and was planning to launch at Kanaha. Are you saying that by that time Kanaha access will be closed? Does that 3500ft closed area leave any suitable launch space at all?

There's no way I'll be launching anywhere else... I don't have the wave sailing experience for a place like Ho'okipa. If there's no place to launch, then I won't be renting equipment other than a SUP to paddle around the resort areas at Wailea Beach.

I can't believe this is happening at the center of the windsurfing universe... it makes my local spots in coastal NC look really good (which they are anyway).

BTW, where I sail it is always the kiters that screw up the public areas. From occupying an entire beach area with lines, to jumping over everyone in an intimidating fashion along the shore, it is always the kiters. I have no problem generalizing, because it's a fact.
rich1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm heading there in Feb,so I'm in a similar state, but I know I can sail elsewhere if I have to. From what I've seen on the other thread, the zones we're talking about are spaced along the beach, so there are access points all the way along, it just means waiting for the guy in front to go before you can if it's really busy. I can't imagine that with all the lobbying by us and all the windsurfing businesses on the island, that there will be no way to access the break, but I guess time will tell.
danothemano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Is that rain?? Reply with quote

jkrug wrote:
jerry, i know you like some kiters. and I know i don't like some kiters. but to say it's always the kiters that screw things up is painting with a very broad brush. of course, given that there are probably 10 times more kiters on the planet than windsurfers, the law of averages is on your side of the argument. regardless, i hope access remains intact for those lucky bastards in HI.
Laughing

Still pissing down backs.

At least I'm HOUSEBROKEN.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JKrug I am not "saying" the kiter's screwed it up. They did screw it up. This is not subjective.

"You think the carpet pissers did this?" Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: