myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing Access at Kanaha Maui in Danger
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geohaye

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Steve for taking the time to list out the relevant State legislators' email addresses, and in general to stoke the fires of activism here (and on the iKitesurf forum too).

We know that handcrafted, individual emails would be best, but we also know we'll get 100x more emails written if someone could produce - based on local expertise and knowledge - a couple of paragraphs that we all could cut and paste and then send to this block of HI State legislators' email addresses. A simple 2-step to get as much input as possible into the right hands...

(And if anyone can get an actual email address for the Gov that could greatly increase the amt of input received in that crucial quarter.)

So many have planned parts of their lives -- if not all of their lives -- around windsurfing on Maui, which could be terribly and permanently effected by this rash government action if caring souls in the hundreds/thousands do not step forward now in the most effective way possible.

George
iWindsurf

Last edited by geohaye on Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
So based on the map with the three designated swim zones, it seems like there would be plenty of room for everyone (both kiters, windsurfers, and swimmers). Am I missing something?

Let's try with a better image. Looks pretty bad to me...
(right-click/"open image in new tab" for much bigger pic)

Swim zones.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  712 KB
 Viewed:  14178 Time(s)

Swim zones.jpg

shreddbob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geohaye wrote:

If you could write something up (2 paragraphs?), that would be immediately useful here.

So many have planned parts of their lives -- if not all of their lives -- around windsurfing on Maui, which could be terribly and permanently effected by this rash government action if caring souls in the hundreds/thousands do not step forward now in the most effective way possible.

George
iWindsurf

I sent this out earlier today. Maybe a little wordy, but I am getting worked up over this situation...

I decided to send to State Senator English, who is the Maui (District 7) senator.

Dear State Senator English,
kalani@kalanienglish.com

I'm sure you are aware of the recent tensions at Kanaha Beach Park, involving a very rude kitesurfer entering a swimming area. I am utterly disgusted with this kitesurfer's behavior, and acts such as this should not be tolerated. That said, I am dismayed by the looming outcome that this event has set in motion. As I understand it, a decades old, non-enforced for 25 years, swim zone rule is about to be suddenly imposed at Kanaha.

I am a regular visitor to Maui, coming from Massachusetts since 1986, for the express purpose of enjoying the excellent windsurfing conditions that Kanaha Beach provides. In the U.S. it really is "one of a kind" for windsurfing. I am writing you in the hope that you will consider the needs of ALL park users, and intervene to stop the proposed enforcement of the outdated swim zone rules. I believe a constructive discourse should be undertaken, involving the various groups of park users and the DOBOR and local government officials, before a hasty and counterproductive policy is set in place.

BACKGROUND:

- The old swim zone rules for Kanaha, drafted in the 1980's, designate 3,000 feet of shoreline as "swim zone only", which, if enforced, would prohibit all other recreational users (surfers, standup paddlers, windsurfers, kitesurfers, kyakers, and the like) from accessing the water.

- In the 1980's when the swim zone rules were drafted for Kanaha, windsurfing was a relatively new sport. I think whoever drew up those rules did not realize what a precious windsurfing venue Kanaha was becoming. And the fact that these rules were never enforced allowed Kanaha to continue to evolve into the world class windsurfing destination that it is today. Of course, the other prime windsurfing location on Maui is Ho'okipa. But for us "mere mortal" windsurfers, where the conditions at Ho'okipa are too severe, Kanaha is really the only option. Thousands and thousands of windsurfers have enjoyed this beach, in harmony with swimmers and other recreational users, for decades. The majority of us are conscientious, and we generally self police with people who are unsafe or rude. This system has worked exceptionally well for a very long time. It is a shame that the kitesurfing incident occurred, but I believe the kiting community is just as disgusted with the offending kitesurfer's behavior as we all are.

- I have never seen the 3,000 foot swim zone marked or enforced in the 27 years that I've been visiting. There is in fact a roped/buoyed off swimming area there now of approximately 500 feet that seems perfectly adequate. The buoy rope was originally installed by a Maui windsurfing school in the 1980's. Generally I see about 1 - 6 people in the swim area at any one time. By contrast, on windy days there are between 100 - 200 windsurfers who use this beach, launching from either downwind or upwind of this swimming area.

IN SUMMARY

I implore you to help gather the various factions together to have a productive discussion. I think you will find the vast majority of windsurfers, kitesurfers, standup paddlers, and other recreational water users are well meaning and thoughtful people. It would be a great tragedy indeed if the proposed unfair swim zone ruling were to be suddenly enforced, due to the unfortunate escalation of emotions that have occurred surrounding the kitesurfer incident. I think the present swim area arrangement has been working well. Perhaps there is room for improvement (such as clear signage maybe, so everyone knows the rules), but certainly a shutdown of access to all but swimmers is not warranted. A review of how this beach is currently used by the public would surely indicate there is no need for 3.000 feet of swimming only area! To enforce this rule would be a severe overreaction to an isolated incident. Should the proposed enforcement happen, I would undoubtably be forced to look elsewhere for my vacations, as would countless other visiting windsurfers. Also, this would severely hurt many local water-sport businesses and the local tourism industry.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for featuring this thread on the global landing page and forum!

This really has relevance not only for the Hawaiian specific situation, but also for access to what should be free, open resources all over the world (body of water and wind...), for practicing non-polluting, (almost) sustainable physical and mental wellness activities.
Also it definitely unites different communities (with often different needs and opinions) in respect to the most basic common goal: access.

It's worth re-posting the petition link for people rushing through the thread: https://www.change.org/petitions/state-dobor-hawaii-please-protect-ocean-access-at-kanaha-beach-change-the-outdated-rules-to-reflect-the-current-use
colossus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sasussman wrote:
Kanaha is a state park, hence my focus on state officials who represent Maui.

I can't deny lawyers can have contacts, but if they are to get change, it has to be through the state government. And I agree multiple methods to approach this issue can be useful.

Someone has to produce the initial legal document in all transactions. Asking a rep. to draft and sponsor the amendment makes the likelihood of change 1/2 as likely in my opinion. Why not ask Josh Stone how local government works.

A lawyer can research the current law, write the amendment and find a compelling reason for a representative to sponsor it; perhaps far more motivation than some number of electronic signatures. What's the track record for change.org anyway?

It's obvious from the tax code that non-resident property owners are separate and distinct from voting residents so I don't think the injured niche tourist argument will go far.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people make money from windsurfing in Maui.
Not just gear, also restaurants hotels car rentals, tours...
This is the group that casts votes for the tourists and the Hawaii gov. listens.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colossus wrote:

It's obvious from the tax code that non-resident property owners are separate and distinct from voting residents so I don't think the injured niche tourist argument will go far.

How about the common sense argument?? How many swimmers are lining up clamoring for more access? Kanaha is right next to the sewage plant, and in the zone of cruise ships (releasing stuff?) after all. It is definitely NOT a world class swimming spot IMO. The last time I SUP'd there I paddled by several suspicious looking areas that looked like brown sewage in the water. Just sayin'. Doesn't it make sense for officials to at least hear from the major user groups, which are not swimmers as far as I've seen?

The time for common sense and cool heads is now, before everything is changed. If that fails then perhaps the legal issues, like you've mentioned, need to be pursued.

If this is all about a reactionary locals vs. tourists thing then that's different (and sad).
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emails sent.
rich1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just did some measurements, and either the statement or the map with swim zones drawn on it is wrong. The entire beach in Kanaha Beach Park is 3000 feet long. So either the entire beach will be closed to us, or the swim zones on the map are going to be marked and enforced.

Does anyone actually know what we are looking at? If it's the swim zones ont the map then it's no big deal, but if it's the whole beach then it will make a noticeable impact on the economy of the island. And I just can't see the authorities doing that.

I signed the petition early on, and I will be sending emails, but I like to be informed.
fxop

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want to be worried about Swim Zone B. It basically takes the existing swim zone upwind of the main launch and extends it westward several hundred feet, maybe 600 ft, for a total of about 900 ft.

So the main launch would be gone.

You could still launch from the eastern parking lot, but woe to you if you end up downwind, and of course all of Lowers is downwind of the eastern parking lot.

The existing teaching/beginners area upwind of the east parking lot would be excluded by Swim Zone A, as I read it.

Swim Zone C covers the groin field upwind of the disputed area, the kiddie pool and "Pro Pool". So downwind bailout for kiters launching from "Naish Beach" would be excluded, but people tell me this is lightly used. All of "Action Beach" would be ok.

Last edited by fxop on Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 6 of 14

Jump to: